Moparts

Looking for stock hemi mufflers

Posted By: 420SIX

Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/06/17 05:43 AM

Are all stock Hemi mufflers built the same ? I know Accurate Exhaust is a recommended source ....or are there other options ?
No need for date codes,,,
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/06/17 04:07 PM

You might try eBay/classic industries & Google to find some of the Hemi sites. I know the "Dynamax" (sp?) hemi repro muffs (I forget the mfr) got good reports (sound/quality/flow).
Posted By: robertop

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/06/17 06:40 PM

ECS has the most accurate Hemi mufflers by far, however they are not cheap. They offer a 10% discount at this time I believe, so it' s a good time to order now.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/06/17 10:01 PM

Dynomax 17748 or 17749 are, I believe, quite close to the Hemi factory mufflers. Mine are behind a 318 with true duals, no crossover, 2 1/2" system all the way from manifolds.

At first I thought they were too quiet, but after 10,000 miles or so they got a little louder. Now they're just right. I've received compliments on how good they sound.
I believe that there is a 3" version in the Dynomax catalog. Dynomax is the performance branch of Walker.

R.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/06/17 10:36 PM

Call Jeff Long over in Paxton, Mark. He can probably fix you up. 217/379-4415

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/07/17 02:11 AM

Quote:
Dynomax 17748 or 17749 are, I believe, quite close to the Hemi factory mufflers. I believe that there is a 3" version in the Dynomax catalog. Dynomax is the performance branch of Walker.
Yes, there are (2) 3" versions, one with 2&1/2" internals & one with 3" all the way thru, that is the one you want tho it is way more expensive.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/07/17 04:53 AM

The Dynomax Super Turbos are not the same as the original Chrysler mufflers internally - they flow better than the OE ones I would bet on. The correct ones for the A & B-Bodies were 20" long bodies, & offset entry / center out. These design Super Turbos flow in either direction also. Dynomax called the 17748 a "Hemi" muffler - because of the configuration. A 3" version of this is #17769. This is also a 20" long body, but a larger oval body - 5.5" x 11". The center section of the Super Turbos are wrapped with a fiberglass blanket for sound absorption, but this will break-down & dissipate fairly quickly so the mufflers will get louder over time. The 3" version will get REALLY loud - I have a buddy that has the 16" bodied ones on a 440-6 Challenger & they sounded great when the system was new, but after a couple of summers the exhaust got ridiculously loud. Car needs resonators now to be tolerable - he still has not installed any & I've offered to make some for him. The Super Turbos look like stock mufflers - they have spun-locked heads, not welded construction. They have large diameter internal flow tubes, unlike OE mufflers that downsize internally. They also have a lifetime warranty - so keep your receipt. I would use the Dynomax instead of vintage OE mufflers any day.

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/07/17 05:23 AM

^^^ good (needed/helpful) info
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/08/17 06:45 AM

I have the Dynomax Hemi mufflers on my 68 Charger R/T with a stock 440. Been on the car for 20 years, perfect sounding exhaust, nice and throaty around the city and under 50, at highway speeds, no noise at all. that means no headaches on long trips.
Posted By: bschargerse

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/08/17 11:42 PM

I had the Dynomax 17747 (2-1/4" in / out) on my 67 Coronet and promptly took them off. At part throttle under load they sounded like a glass pack. I reinstalled the Accurate 6885 mufflers I had taken off. Much better.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Looking for stock hemi mufflers - 09/09/17 03:35 AM

I have a set in the box if you're interested.
© 2024 Moparts Forums