Moparts

VIN TAG

Posted By: buddy69

VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:19 AM

Thinking about getting this car near me but vin tag makes me nervous. Maybe a re-pop??

Attached picture 5052956-vin3.jpg
Posted By: 05dakota

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:22 AM

all i see is 3 read x s
Posted By: stumpy

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:24 AM

Picture is really too small to see for sure but it looks too new and should be black. Do the numbers match the rest of the numbers on the car? What do the rivets look like? Are they round or rosette?

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:25 AM

I agree. He claims he cleaned it with mother's but that would have taken everything off. I have never seen one with blank pentastar?
Posted By: Anonymous

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:26 AM

Any chance you could post a smaller pic?

I don't think everyone is gunna have as hard a time reading it as me. j/k

What car is it? All I can see are the last digits of the vin and they're too small to make out for me.

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:26 AM

oops, black

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:29 AM

sorry, 70' v-code gtx The fender tag is ok, everything is correct. But does a company re-pop vins now? If you clean off a vin with mothers all ink should be gone.
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:32 AM

try to post a bigger picture, so we can compare fonts with originals.

It could have gotten stripped and re-lettered with black lettering.

Even if body numbers match, body numbers only include sequential, tag could have been forged from a 318 to a 440+6 letter in VIN.

If he as build sheet it would help, same for fender tag, but fender tag could also have been forged.

ASk seller if he as other documentation or if you can talk to prior owners.

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:32 AM

No build sheet

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:35 AM

a little bigger

Attached picture 5053011-vin3(2).jpg

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:43 AM

That's still wayyy too small.

An original untouched vin should be all black with a white/grey chrysler logo.

If all the paint is removed it would look like a shiney "chrome like" finish with no logo.

The finish of the vin I see in your pic definitely looks like it has been altered.
That's not original factory paint work, someone has done their thing to it.

Not saying it's not legit, if someone didn't purposely paint it that scheme then maybe Michigan issued that vin for a salvage vehicle or possibly a lost vin.

Anyone care to confirm this?
Posted By: mxbeep

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:46 AM

Quote:

a little bigger

same size for me.

By looking as best i can see, font looks correct, but dont make a decision from what i see.

Get a bigger picture of VIN tag and fender tag and post it here. A lot of members have good eyes to spot fake tags.

If fender tag is original ( not repro) then VIN will appear and you will have proof of authenticity.

Also make sure VIN matches body numbers.

As i suggested earlier, try to contact prior owners of the car

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:52 AM

If it helps here's a vin tag from a 68 coronet that went to the crusher many years ago.
I cant see your fonts but this is the correct color scheme.

Posted By: BDW

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 12:55 AM

Looks like it's missing several characters, not right.

Attached picture 5053076-VIN.jpg
Posted By: ph23vo

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:30 AM

i have seen vin tags like that but wasnt sure if they were original or not seems they were in cars that werent anything special IIRC dan
Posted By: 2abodymcodes

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:33 AM

it looks just like the vin tag on my 69 road runner. mine is original and untouched. i've been told by members here that sometimes they fade that way. the black paint wears off and the pentastar will turn black. but i still think mine came from the factory this way, but i don't know here is a pic of mine

Attached picture 5053174-IMG_0164.JPG

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:35 AM

Should be 13(edited from 14 for fat finger goof) digits unless it's an early 60s car.
Posted By: HPMike

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

it looks just like the vin tag on my 69 road runner. mine is original and untouched. i've been told by members here that sometimes they fade that way. the black paint wears off and the pentastar will turn black. but i still think mine came from the factory this way, but i don't know here is a pic of mine

Seen alot of them like that, I wouldn't dismiss it as fraud. Look around the rivets, if there is remnants of black paint, then the story looks like it makes sense.

NEED A BETTER PICTURE, please?

MB
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:39 AM

Quote:

Should be 14 digits unless it's an early 60s car..

I never see you make a factual error. This is just a typo for 13, right?

Also, I've seen other sun-faded VINs like that. A better picture would sure be nice.
Posted By: 1_WILD_RT

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:43 AM

Thirteen, Fourteen...Same differance, I lose track after seven or eight...
Posted By: 68HemiB

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:45 AM

Quote:

Thirteen, Fourteen...Same differance, I lose track after seven or eight...

Knowing your opinion on alcohol, you must be talking about seven or eight root beers, right?

Me, on the other hand... I'm not as drunk as thinkle peep.

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 01:52 AM

Wow... in 20 or so years of strictly mopars I can't ever recall seeing one like that.

I've seen them wiped completely clean of any paint but never light grey or silver with a black logo like that... Especially a lynch road tag...

Has anyone else seen tags like this and which plant did they come from? or what part of the country did they wind up? Maybe UV has something to do with it?

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 02:07 AM

Quote:

Wow... in 20 or so years of strictly mopars I can't ever recall seeing one like that.

I've seen them wiped completely clean of any paint but never light grey or silver with a black logo like that... Especially a lynch road tag...

Has anyone else seen tags like this and which plant did they come from? or what part of the country did they wind up? Maybe UV has something to do with it?

I'm guessing you live in a cooler climate...California/Nevada/Arizona vin tags like that are not unusual...

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 02:17 AM

Quote:

I'm guessing you live in a cooler climate...California/Nevada/Arizona vin tags like that are not unusual...

Yep... I'm up in michigan... we get light 12 months out of the year but only get SUN for aprox 2 months.

Most people around here would burst into flames if subject to the intense desert sun

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 02:21 AM

Quote:

Quote:

Yep... I'm up in michigan... we get light 12 months out of the year but only get SUN for aprox 2 months.

Most people around here would burst into flames if subject to the intense desert sun

Well the paint on the VIN tag felt the same way...It would prefer Detroit weather....The black mostly got sun baked but the black under the Chrysler Corp logo was protected by the white paint that originally was the logo...But the white paint got sun baked leaving the black paint exposed....

As long as the VIN stamping looks normal that tag is probably fine....

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 02:33 AM

OOPs! Yes 13 is right. My fingers got twisted and I didn't proof read my reply. I am ashamed terribly ashamed.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 02:58 AM

I have an almost twin (when new) to that car except with a 4-spd, is it finished or still a project?

I've seen similar tags with no paint left on them, that doesn't seem out of line; car was on ebay in the past and there was something about that car that seemed a little "off" not sure what it was. Is it advertised somewhere?

edit ****** fender tag has issues ******

RS23V0E157876 this car, RS23V0E131247 mine (below)

Attached picture 5053468-0e157876-1.jpg
Posted By: phantomx

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 03:39 AM

Quote:

I have an almost twin (when new) to that car except with a 4-spd, is it finished or still a project?

I've seen similar tags with no paint left on them, that doesn't seem out of line; car was on ebay in the past and there was something about that car that seemed a little "off" not sure what it was. Is it advertised somewhere?

edit ****** fender tag has issues ******

RS23V0E157876 this car, RS23V0E131247 mine (below)

My car is close to yours, RS23U0E138501. Got any more pics of that paint job, I dig it. And what do you mean by the fender tag has issues?
Travis..

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 05:37 AM

You're right something is wrong.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: VIN TAG - 02/26/09 07:01 AM

It looks like a 67 door VIN tag with the pentastar on the wrong side and the black trim on the outside missing
© 2024 Moparts Forums