Moparts

1998 Neon Sunroof

Posted By: 6PakBee

1998 Neon Sunroof - 08/04/17 09:36 PM

My sunroof will vent but will not open and makes a clicking noise when I try to open it. One thing I am fighting is that I have no idea what this thing is supposed to do when it opens. When the sunroof is opened does it travel to the back completely so all of the opening in the roof is open? Or does it only travel partially into the opening? I have the FSM and the Owner's Manual and they both assume the reader should know how it works. Just frustrated.
Posted By: gtsdude

Re: 1998 Neon Sunroof - 08/04/17 10:16 PM

I had a 97 do that, pull the cover off by the switch on the roof, motor has 2 mounting screws that like to back out and pull gears away from each other. IIRC the sunroof hikes up in the back and then moves back, and doesn't go into the roof at all.

Attached picture neon.jpg
Posted By: SSAAHemiFan

Re: 1998 Neon Sunroof - 08/04/17 10:19 PM

daughter has a 2002 so there may be some difference - when you push the sunroof switch rearward the glass opens up to vent - once it is fully up you can cycle it again and the glass moves rearward and the roof is open.

clicking is probably the motor but I was told the cables can get out of adjustment also.
Posted By: 6PakBee

Re: 1998 Neon Sunroof - 08/04/17 11:26 PM

Ahhhhh! The dawning. That's why it only moves in one direction. For vent the back pops up and stays there. If you open it, it pops up in back and then continues to open. Thanks to both of you and gtsdude, thanks for the picture, it is truly worth 1K words. Back out to the garage.
© 2024 Moparts Forums