Moparts

8 3/4 axle seal leak

Posted By: Mofopar

8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 05:16 PM

Rear end has Strange race axles that developed a leak at the axle retainer plate a while back. Bought the car like this so I never assembled it originally and have never tried to fix before.

Stripped it down and found the retainer plate quite deformed so I flattened it out, put a new o-ring and gasket (paper) in it but it still leaks.

Can't find much info about this area from the manual (or in the tech articles) so I'm hoping for some advice on re-assembly to ensure the bearing has the correct clearance and it doesn't leak.

Thanks in advance
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 05:36 PM

I am assuming you have the "Green Bearings" on the axle because you said you changed the o-ring. If you are not running inner axle seals put them in there. Green bearings are self lubricated and do not need gear oil to lube them. The gear oil is either leaking through the bearing or around the outer edge. The inner axle seal will prevent that.

Jeff
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 05:50 PM

install a new seal, the wide one that you drive in

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 06:20 PM

Originally Posted By Cuda340
I am assuming you have the "Green Bearings" on the axle because you said you changed the o-ring. If you are not running inner axle seals put them in there. Green bearings are self lubricated and do not need gear oil to lube them. The gear oil is either leaking through the bearing or around the outer edge. The inner axle seal will prevent that.

Jeff

Ya, green bearings with O-rings.

Thanks, I'll try the inner seal.

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
install a new seal, the wide one that you drive in

Do you mean the inner oil seal like Jeff above mentions? This gets "driven" into the axle housing, correct?
Posted By: Cuda340

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 07:22 PM

That is correct. It gets driven in.

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 08:22 PM

I don't recall this seal being there when I replaced the gasket/o-ring.

Reading another thread on this topic; a member mentions interference (mosers) with the seals; I'm hoping this isn't my situation,,,

8 3/4 a body green bearings
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 8 3/4 axle seal leak - 08/02/17 09:07 PM

You should pay attention to Dr Diff's response to that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums