Moparts

1970 Door Lock Question

Posted By: Big Bad Bee

1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 03:28 AM

is the cylinder size on the 1970 (and earlier?) door locks smaller than later models? I've ordered two different sets from different locksmiths and they are both two large both in the main diameter and in the areas that fit into the notches on my 1970 Superbee.

Thanks,

Lindy
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 04:33 AM

there's a cutoff year ~65 or 66 on A bodies & the early ones had a much larger tapered outside round face that the key goes into as opposed to the later flat round lock cyl faces, barrel dia might even be larger on the earlier ones as I'm thinking you are referring to.

Re: 1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 05:00 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
there's a cutoff year ~65 or 66 on A bodies & the early ones had a much larger tapered outside round face that the key goes into as opposed to the later flat round lock cyl faces, barrel dia might even be larger on the earlier ones as I'm thinking you are referring to.

Year One has them listed as '66 - '74 B Body
Autozone has them listed as '66 - mid '80s
Classic Industries has them listed at '66 - '76 A&B body

I thought my paint may be too thick around the hole. I had this problem with the trunk lock hole. The paint is pretty thin around the edges on the door holes. I'm really at a loss.

Re: 1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 05:04 AM

the two different ones, late/early. EDIT All I am into is A bodies.

Attached picture SAM_0712.JPG

Re: 1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 04:23 PM

Great photo. Thank you. It's obviously the latter of the two. If three aren't any variations of the late one, I surmise that my problem is paint buildup around the holes. Not fun to deal with.
Thanks for the help.

Re: 1970 Door Lock Question - 07/01/17 04:55 PM

glad to help. not sure what you got going on but if you are dealing with the ones with the chrome rectangular cover and you just want to rekey em you can take it off (bend the tabs just enough to it will come off as they are brittle) & mix/match pins/tumblers to match a different key as needed if you have some spare cyls to play with or clean one up if it is sticky. you want the "heights" the same so the barrel will turn in the cyl with the key installed.

Attached picture SAM_0713.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums