Moparts

New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil?

Posted By: dogdays

New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/28/17 08:24 PM

While looking around for oil information I found that Valvoline is one of the easiest brands to check out, as they have their Product Information linked to about anything you can pour.

Another avenue for oil with a sufficient amount of anti-wear compounds is four stroke motorcycle oil. I can't buy VR1 at my local Walmart but I can buy Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil which has zinc/phosphorus concentrations of around 1100. A quart is $4.69 locally. There are other brands but I haven't checked them out. Oil bath clutches in motorcycles seem to need a higher concentration of antiwear compounds than newer automobile engines.

I don't know what the other additives for motorcycle oil do in a 440. Maybe someone else does. Experts?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/28/17 09:07 PM

Quote:
Another avenue for oil with a sufficient amount of anti-wear compounds is four stroke motorcycle oil. but I can buy Valvoline 4 stroke motorcycle oil which has zinc/phosphorus concentrations of around 1100. A quart is $4.69 locally. I don't know what the other additives for motorcycle oil do in a 440. Maybe someone else does. Experts?
I heard that too way back. Sounds good so far (enough zinc/good price). I'm thinking that the guys at www.mototuneusa.com that published "breakin secrets" a VG informative guide on ring breakin that applies to our engines would know (or some other biker sites) if there are any caveats that might be a problem for us.
Posted By: Neil

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/28/17 09:28 PM

Oil change intervals on dirt bikes seemed very high when I used to ride a few years ago. I would wonder more about how long it would last than if it was capable enough to do the job.

I used either Honda oil or Maxima. The later has been around a long time and has an excellent reputation.
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/28/17 10:50 PM

Mobil 1 has two oils for bikes, one for V twins, and the one I use for real motorcycles that have a wet clutch.
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/28/17 11:01 PM

MC clutches require oil that is JATO rated to keep them from slipping.

Rotella T-4 (dino) and T-6 (synthetic) are JATO rated, easily found, have a lower cost than most MC oil, is used by many DIY maintenance MC'ers and it has ZDDP at levels for older flat tappet cams.
Posted By: A727Tflite

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/29/17 04:03 AM

You mean JASO - not JATO - correct ?
Posted By: B5 Bee

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/29/17 04:30 AM

Originally Posted By Transman
You mean JASO - not JATO - correct ?

Yes, JASO, not JATO spank

A JATO is Jet Assisted Take Off rocket!
Posted By: topside

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/29/17 05:06 AM

Not sure if you're planning to use the oil in a motorcycle or car, but: Yamalube has a really long warranty - longer than any motorcycle - but for their "dino" oils, change intervals are frequent, measured in hours; synthetics can run longer. Not really news, I know. Yamalube runs $8.99/quart for their cheapest 10W40. Not a bargain. For whatever it's worth, the fuel filters on cars are bigger than most MC oil filters, but then of course they carry less oil. Maybe there's some relationship between filtering & change intervals.
Obviously some MC oils have to work with wet clutches, so I'd guess their additive packages differ from automotive/truck oils. I'd guess that's the difference with V-twin oils, which probably also need to cushion better, judging by their heavier viscosity.
Posted By: DaytonaTurbo

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/29/17 03:22 PM

Why keep beating a dead horse? Several of the oil companies manufacture oil specifically for our old flat tappet engines. Watch out with the new shell rotella oils, the CK-4 rated oils are limited to around 1000-1100ppm of zinc. Some of them are CK-4/SN rated and those are 800ppm.

I like amsoil but there's plenty of other companies in the game. Amsoil's break-in oil has 2265 zinc. Their Z-Rod oil made for our old cars is SL rated and 1440 zinc with an extra additive package or corrosion control during long-term storage. Their dominator racing oil lists over 1500 zinc and isn't even API rated at all. For the one oil change per year I do on my old cars, IMO it's not worth cheaping out and worrying about what I can get at walmart.

https://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbulletin/MotorOil/TSB%20MO-2007-08-08%20Flat%20Tappet.pdf
Posted By: minivan

Re: New Oil Thread Four Stroke Motorcycle Oil? - 06/29/17 06:38 PM

Originally Posted By 71birdJ68
Mobil 1 has two oils for bikes, one for V twins, and the one I use for real motorcycles that have a wet clutch.

Do you mean the bikes that have a separate area and use a specific oil for the clutch?
OR the bikes that use the same dirty oil the engine contaminates??

Attached picture DSCF0209.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums