Moparts

Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon

Posted By: larrymopar360

Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 05:28 PM

I'm very close to pulling the trigger on either a '78 or '79 Power Wagon. Both are factory 360 two barrel trucks. My question is this. While I don't "need" a four wheel drive, I love the stance, and the ability every once in awhile (hardly ever but still....) use the 4wd for a little fun in the sand, but again, it won't be very often. I just can't get over how much I love the look of the Power Wagon vs. the 2wd. If I got a 2wd I would get new springs in front that level the front with the rear, which gives it a much better look in my opinion (I've owned a couple of 2wd D150's). So finally my question. Should I stay away from 4wd, and just stick with 2wd? Will it be more trouble than it's worth, with the added weight up front, tire wear, maintenance, and harsher ride? It will not be a daily driver, just a nice weather cruiser and Home Depot run kind of truck. Do I need to be smart and just use some new springs to get a nice stance on a 2wd or go for a Power Wagon and really satisfy myself?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 05:42 PM

The 2 wheeler would work fine if you stay out of sand etc. I enjoyed the heck out of rolling through the soft sand at north and south ends of Ormond/Daytona beach many years ago with my fulltime 4x4 79 ramcharger. 33x12.50 all terrain ta's never have been as clean as then. Just sayin...
Posted By: GMP440

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 05:47 PM

From the sound of it, it seems your heart is with the 4 wd. Go with what your gut tells you. If you think you will be in the sand once in a while I would still get the 4 wd. If you have the 2wd and you get stuck somewhere or want to go where only a 4 wd will go, you'll be saying
to yourself I should have gotten the 4 wd when I had the opportunity.
Remember, hindsight is 20/20.
Here is a another option. Can you get both vehicles for a good price?

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:00 PM

Originally Posted By GMP440
From the sound of it, it seems your heart is with the 4 wd. Go with what your gut tells you. If you think you will be in the sand once in a while I would still get the 4 wd. If you have the 2wd and you get stuck somewhere or want to go where only a 4 wd will go, you'll be saying
to yourself I should have gotten the 4 wd when I had the opportunity.
Remember, hindsight is 20/20.
Here is a another option. Can you get both vehicles for a good price?
No they are in different states and I can only pull the trigger on one.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:13 PM

4X4 is nice because you have that low range and neutral if you ever need to tow it. Those trucks are really great 4X4's. A part time kit in the transfer case and locking hubs will help it with the mileage if that's a concern. From what I recently found out, some 1/2 ton 2wd trucks came with an 8-1/4 rear end which is really not up to the task for hauling and towing. I believe with a 4X4 you'll have a corporate 9-1/4 and a Dana 44 up front.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:14 PM

The 80 is preferred because it is a part time 4wd system and stone age easy to service (wheel bearings especially). If the ones you are looking at have been converted to a front end that has manual locking hubs it would be a bonus. I think they are a great looking truck as well.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:18 PM

Pull the trigger on the 4X4, you won't be sorry, I've had plenty of Dodge pick ups from 1969 into the late 80's models, great trucks, the 2 wheel versions were OK for grocery getters, but nothing compares to having 4 wheel drive
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:25 PM

I got an M880 because that is what was for sale when I was looking. The other thing I would've considered was a 3/4 ton 2wd truck. I think the HD suspension just all around is better driving.

I don't mind the full time 4wd in my truck, after headers and a 4bbl carb that is tuned well, the mileage is ok. 4.10 gears and 32" tires, it had 36.5" military bias plys when I got it, honestly they actually rolled real well once they warmed up.
Posted By: GODSCOUNTRY340

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 06:49 PM

I live in the mountains in western Maryland and I wouldn't buy a truck unless it was a four wheel drive (snow and mud trails). Those old Power Wagons are great. I had a '74, 3/4 ton, lock out hubs, 360 with 4 barrel and headers, 4 speed, 4.10 gears with a sure grip and never had it stuck. I pulled many Chevy and Fords out of stuck situations and those guys couldn't believe where my Power Wagon would go. They nick named it "The Tank". Now I have a '54 flat fender civilian Power wagon that I building a '55 270 Super Red Ram hemi for. Buy that Power Wagon.

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 07:34 PM

Ok, I like the feedback because I really want the Power Wagon. I wish they were locking hubs 1980's or converted, but they are not, but maybe someday I can afford to do that. There just aren't enough clean ones out there for me to wait on one with locking hubs (or I'm not patient enough). I see a lot of M880's for sale and think they are really bad*ss looking, but I'm set on getting a short bed. I'm leaning toward the '79.

If I can make it happen I'll post some pics soon. Thanks!
Posted By: krautrock

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/09/17 07:57 PM

I wouldn't worry about the lockout hubs, the full time setup is fine.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/10/17 03:04 PM

In case the posts above are not clear enough, the 75-79 Dodge 4 wheel drive trucks are full time 4 wheel drive. You cannot put them in 2 wheel drive unless they have been modified. The transfer case in these is a chain driven NP203. The front axles on 1/2 and most 3/4 ton trucks is a Dana 44 with an odd bearing setup. They are easily identified by the recessed nut on the hub. The bearings are prone to failure, especially with oversized tires.

The 1980 model is part time 4 wheel drive and can be put in 2 wheel drive. It uses a chain driven NP208 transfer case although some 3/4 tons came with a gear driven NP205 in this year.

The wheel bolt pattern changed on 1/2 tons with the changeover to part time 4 wheel drive. 75-79 were 5 on 4.5" and 80 were 5 on 5.5".

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/10/17 08:53 PM

I've seen the NP203 and N208 referred to in a lot of adds. I always zoom pics to see if there are locking hubs, and see some mention they've converted their pre 1980 models. Thanks to all for educating me.

It looks like both deals are falling apart! frown

The '79 one says he's decided to keep, and I can't fault him for that. The other is a dealer and he told me it just needed a carb rebuild and fuse box. But now he said it was timing chain, and he's repairing it, as well as the fuse box, so he has more money in it and price will go up accordingly. So, I may be priced out of it. It was already a bit high as he is flipping it. So I'm still looking and checking the swap meet section here along with all the other resources. Would love to find an '80 now that I know more about the locking hubs. Anyone selling?
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/10/17 11:57 PM

Power Wagon all the way
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/11/17 12:51 AM

Other than the wheel bearings the 73_79 trucks are pretty Stout.

The cheap fix for the bearings is to get the knuckles and brakes from an 85-93 truck with the Dana 44 front axle.

I wouldn't bother with a part time conversion to the NP203 case, even if it's a daily driver. Not worth the expense.

Fwiw, my winter driver is a 77 W300 crew cab.

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/11/17 06:11 PM

Originally Posted By ruderunner

The cheap fix for the bearings is to get the knuckles and brakes from an 85-93 truck with the Dana 44 front axle.

I wouldn't bother with a part time conversion to the NP203 case, even if it's a daily driver. Not worth the expense.

Thank you for that information. I'm still looking and trying to be smart and patient (for a change).
Posted By: ruderunner

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/11/17 08:57 PM

I need to add, the 85-93 half ton trucks use a 5*5.5 lug pattern, the earlier full time trucks had a 5*4.5 lug pattern, you'll need the rear axle from the donor truck and verify gear ratio.

8 lug trucks are all 8*6.5 s swap knuckles out on those.
Posted By: Soopernaut

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/11/17 09:21 PM

Originally Posted By larrymopar360
Originally Posted By ruderunner

Thank you for that information. I'm still looking and trying to be smart and patient (for a change).

If you are going earlier than 77, the 1/2 ton 72-74 trucks had front drum brakes and the 5 on 5.5 inch bolt circle. They were part time 4 wheel drive. The 75-79 had discs but used the smaller 4.5 inch bolt circle. They were full time 4 wheel drive.

I don't know if there are any parts to upgrade the axle that you can swap (maybe Jeep) that would retain the same small bolt pattern. You would need a matching gear if you swap the rear axle so it may be easier to find a set of 80-84 axles. I think 85 was when they started using the center axle disconnect and no lockouts. That can be converted, but again, why replace with something you will have to modify again?

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/11/17 09:57 PM

I REALLY want to stick with '77 thru '80, although I've seen a few '72 thru '76 Adventurers 4wd's I like a lot, I've focused on the ones I really like the most.

I made offer on one today, and he countered. We were only $500 apart, but I just cannot go any higher despite it only being $500 I'm financially stretched as far as I can. I have to ship it and the lowest quote I've gotten so far is a grand, so no go, still looking, and for once in my life when it comes to cars, I'm using discipline and patience.
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/12/17 01:30 PM

I'm in the hunt for one as well. It is pretty frustrating, as it seems there are only total rust bucket projects, or high dollar restos to choose from. I'm willing to spend up to $10k to find a decent middle of the road one - and there isn't much to choose from!
Posted By: 69superbee383

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 06/13/17 08:14 PM

My 77 PW has the Dana 44 FBJ and that's one weird bearing set up. The full time 4 wd is fine but with the 440 I see about 7.5 mpg on a good day. But it's low compression so it burns regular.

It is not hard for these things to rust. They were poorly built. Mine had the doors rotting off when I got it. There was zero paint on the inside of the doors from the factory just bare metal so they rotted from the inside. Also becareful with after market fenders. My left front was prepped and painted well and it is still rotting off. And now the bed and cab mounts are going.

Overall a fun truck though. I have used it as it was meant to be used and it never let me down.

Attached picture temp-AK-vqVfkTjHuLtKfhBVgsVgX9mG4iHw-vlTHwgAAUeI8k6YgjRl_4TR88L4I9z-Kmb1JaS2W5s0L7uSv7WlTPg8.jpg

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 07/21/17 12:40 AM

Nice truck 69superbee83!

I pulled the trigger and bought a '79 Power Wagon. It is a factory 360-4 and engine sounds great and runs strong. Rust free from what I've seen so far. Floors look good as does frame. Wheel wells and roof drip rail solid and no filler (phew). Just surface scale on frame. Overall truck has been neglected (very obvious) but at least was kept inside. First I have to address wetness underneath. Probably a combination of things. I need to clean it up and see. I have not even had a chance to get a color on the fluid. I'm going to change the oil and filter tomorrow. I'm going to have my mechanic check out the leak/leaks. The engine oil pan does not appear to be the main culprit to me. Mechanic is a good guy, but not a Mopar guy. I'm guessing front gear box is leaking, but again, just a guess. I going to have him get it on a lift and look it over real well and just fix whatever is leaking right now. Going to have him do a trans fluid and filter change now, so maybe the pan gasket is part of the problem and that will solve some of my leaking. As far as the front pumpkin, what might I be in for? This is my first 4wd. I'm looking for any advice to keep in mind when it comes to the 4wd part due to my ignorance. I've had several other Dodge Trucks, just no 4wd's. Thanks!

Attached picture 1979PowerWagon.jpg

Re: Advice needed on buying '77 - '80 gen Power Wagon - 07/21/17 12:44 AM

^^That's a pic from the ebay ad^^

My house looks nothing like that, lol. Wish it did.
© 2024 Moparts Forums