Moparts

DC sixpack for a 440

Posted By: busboy

DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 02:05 PM

Found this for sale recently, aluminum intake and carbs buddy says is a Direct Connection piece. Mechanical secondaries and fuel line runs down the opposite side to a conventional set up. Is this a race only setup or can this be run on the street? Throttle arm comes up between the secondary linkage rods, doesn't look right to me??

Attached picture IMG_0968.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0966.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0964.JPG

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 02:11 PM

Oops, sorry for the wonky pictures!

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 02:30 PM

One more time.

Attached picture IMG_0966.JPG
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 03:10 PM

Yes they are the old DC released mechanical carbs

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 04:03 PM

Thanks Dayclona, race piece or can they be run on the street? Any concerns with that linkage?
Posted By: steve70

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 05:14 PM

A friend of mine had the same set up on his 70 Challenger R/T and drove it on the street all the time.
Posted By: jbc426

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 06:34 PM

Originally Posted By busboy
Thanks Dayclona, race piece or can they be run on the street? Any concerns with that linkage?

They are rare, and my favorite 3 2bbls carbs for any sixpack set-up especially on the street. Less particular drivers can benefit from having the vacuum modulate the throttle position for them with the stockers, but I never liked the way the vacuum secondary stock six pack reacted while opening and closing. I prefer to control the opening and closing of the outboards directly myself. There's a disconnected response that I always felt was funky with the vacuum secondary carbs with a resultant lag time from pedal position to throttle blade position. The worst thing about them in my book is that noticable bit of lag time the outboards have in closing immediately after letting off the gas pedal.

Those look like they could use a quality rebuild, and the linkage and fuel lines are unusual. Another lesser known aspect of these carbs is that unlike their factory installed counterparts, the outboards don't have idle circuits in them. The motor idles exclusively off the center carb. This makes getting the A/F ratio set up significantly easier too. The outboards also use common Holley jets in a traditional metering block arrangement to adjust fuel flow.

Curious what you gave for the set-up, as they are no longer available from Holley, and quality examples have become quite expensive.

I currently have a fresh set to install on my 493" motor, and a second set being converted to use 3 of the large bore outboard sized carb bodies with the center carb being modified to have a functional idle circuit. The throttle bores are also being increased in size and having an aerosol booster installed in them. They should flow significantly more than the stock factory or Direct Connection set-ups. It should be interesting to see how much the power output is affected for better or for worse with the higher flowing modified versions.

I absolutely love the way these carbs feel under foot.

Attached picture Linkage1 (Medium).JPG
Attached picture Linkage2 (Medium).JPG
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 06:42 PM

I've had a few sets and they work awesome. You have accelerator pumps on all 3 carbs which gives unreal response when you have them setup correctly. IMO they work much better than a vacuum setup. Running fuel lines is a bit of a PITA though.
Posted By: TJP

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 06:47 PM

I have run those on multiple motors / combinations over the years and love them. They are typically happier on a 440 but I have used them on 340's as well. The linkage posted is hokey.
The following pic's are the install on my 38 and have been on there for about 30 years

Attached picture 2015-09-13 2015-10-07 001 002.JPG
Attached picture 2015-09-13 2015-10-07 001 003.JPG

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 07:59 PM

Originally Posted By RUNCHARGER
I've had a few sets and they work awesome. You have accelerator pumps on all 3 carbs which gives unreal response when you have them setup correctly. IMO they work much better than a vacuum setup. Running fuel lines is a bit of a PITA though.

Truth! I ended up running individual -6AN fuel lines and -6AN Banjo fittings to each carb from my Bypass regulator. I also insulated the lines to keep heat out of them.
Posted By: fastnos

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/03/17 09:47 PM

If you ever want to get rid of that throttle linkage, I will buy it! Just let me know.
Posted By: GarageDodge

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/04/17 03:06 AM

You could also piece that combo thru a speed shop back in the day,cheaper than dc.I done a couple of them years ago,worked great when set up right.Funny thing my old 70 cornet r/t was just dropped off today to get running after not been run in 3 years.got it running quickly but carbs need rebuilding leaking bad.
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/04/17 05:20 AM

Ran these carbs for nearly 20 years all street driving, they were on my 440 when I found the car - different linkage than the one posted. After rebuilding the carbs, they worked flawlessly, instant throttle response with the accelerator pumps and adjustable to where you wanted the outboards to come in. I really mean my 440 was ferocious with the cam, headers, torque coverter that I had in the car, loads of laughs. Great carbs.
Posted By: 383man

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/05/17 08:51 AM

Yea instead of a double pumper carb you will have a triple pumper setup. grin Ron

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/06/17 01:31 AM

Thanks for the info, what model of Holley carb are these? Are rebuild kits still available for them?

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/06/17 04:22 AM

Thanks for the info, what model of Holley carb are these? Are rebuild kits still available for them?

The correct list numbers are 4782 and 4783. There is nothing special about required parts as the are common with a multitude of holley carbs. I normally "stock" the individual components due to their common use. The KITS normally cost 3x price wise

The hacked up linkage shown in your pic's needs to go way SOUTH IMO. And BTW if you choose not to buy the setup, please post the asking pric, location and a contact #
beer
Posted By: shakerjoe

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/06/17 04:31 AM

I used the standard rebuild kit for 6 pack - Holley 3-396 x 3 of course😁
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/07/17 01:53 AM

I like how they work on the track or street.

Attached picture 2017-06-06 19.40.52.jpg

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/07/17 05:14 PM

As with all Holley's, use the non-stick blue gaskets or get the Superformance gaskets to rebuild them. I always block the heat crossover and insulate the fuel supply lines to keep the heat out of the fuel, but I live in a moderate climate too. A wideband sure helps in getting the jetting and accelerator pump shots right.
Posted By: Pentastar440

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/10/17 02:42 AM

Chevrolet carbs had fuel inlets on the driver's side /with mechanical linkage . I've never seen a Mopar setup like that ? I could be wrong .
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/10/17 06:05 AM

Originally Posted By Pentastar440
Chevrolet carbs had fuel inlets on the driver's side /with mechanical linkage . I've never seen a Mopar setup like that ? I could be wrong .

Not even close to Chevy carbs. These are holley 4782 and 4783 carbs sold by holley, direct connection and hustle stuff specifically for use on 440 mopar.
Posted By: RUNCHARGER

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/10/17 06:36 AM

Cheby carbs were vacuum, these were mechanical. These were sort of based on 390 or 406 Ferd carbs that were available in the early 60's but were different than those too.
Posted By: ademon

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/14/17 05:31 AM

They run awesome on my SB . Here's an old write up I did on the rebuild with some part numbers.
http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/thre...b-build.275946/
Posted By: Mopar.70

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/14/17 12:37 PM

I bought this set up a few years back with air cleaner for under 2k. I think my set up is the same, can you guys confirm? I'm about to finish the build on my 71 Challenger and this is going on top of the 440 going in it.

Attached picture 6pack.jpg
Attached picture 6pack1.jpg
Attached picture 6pack2.jpg

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/14/17 03:27 PM

Looks like them, to be sure, check the list numbers on the carbs, should be 4782 center and 4783 outboards beer
Posted By: ademon

Re: DC sixpack for a 440 - 06/14/17 06:27 PM

Btw keep the jetting close to stock, even my lowly 400hp SB likes 66 center and 80 outboards and that may be to lean!
© 2024 Moparts Forums