Moparts

10" Drum Brake Identification

Posted By: preddy

10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 05:58 PM

I have a 1968 Barracuda and the previous owned put a shortened Dana 60 with Mosher axles in it. It has 10" drum brakes of an unknown origin. I asked the previous owner if he knew where they came from and he does not know. They brakes are also missing the emergency brake pieces. :\

Is there a way to tell what year they are and where they came from? For example, if I knew they were from a 73 A body, it would make tracking down parts a lot easier. I read that 68 10" drums are hard to find parts for. Thanks.

Attached picture 20170507_164047_2.jpg
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 06:10 PM

the shoe width might likely help pin it down (year/model) & I would measure across the horizontle e brake lever distance & have that dimention in hand so if someone has some pieces in hand but likely someone will pin this down to a group of years/models.

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 06:34 PM

The shoe width is 2.5". There is no e-brake lever or any pieces related to the ebrake which is my next challenge once I figure where these brakes came from. I see no part numbers or anything I can lookup.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 06:36 PM

Depends, basically there are two 10" drum setups. The early A body that had the 4" bolt pattern and then everything else. I believe the early A body shoes are less than 2" wide, so if you have those you are dealing with the harder to find setup.

Assuming the PO didn't reuse the 68 A body backing plate and redrilled the drums you should be able to use the everything else 10" drum setup.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 06:42 PM

Quote:
The shoe width is 2.5".
I'm thinking it is the common any year BBP 10" drum assy.

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/08/17 08:23 PM

Supercuda/RapidRobert thanks for the quick response. It sounds like I'm dealing with a standard, 10" drum and parts should be relatively easy to find. He did not re-drill the drums. They look untouched. Thanks!
Posted By: moparx

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/09/17 03:02 PM

i believe megaparts carry all the missing e-brake parts, and although i have never dealt with them, their reviews i have seen and heard about are all positive.
beer
Posted By: BDW

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/09/17 07:38 PM

This should help

Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/09/17 08:54 PM

The shoes in the pic show a round hole where the parking brake lever attaches, later shoes have a rectangular hole. These are the parts you need:

http://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-1962-75-parking-brake-levers-for-10-rear-drum-brakes.html

http://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-6...-10-brakes.html

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 12:43 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel
The shoes in the pic show a round hole where the parking brake lever attaches, later shoes have a rectangular hole. These are the parts you need:

http://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-1962-75-parking-brake-levers-for-10-rear-drum-brakes.html

http://www.partsmix.com/products/mopar-6...-10-brakes.html

Thanks to everyone for responding. This is a really big help.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 02:18 AM

That's a nasty road runner by the way.....
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 02:20 AM

Originally Posted By buildanother

? RR?

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 05:51 AM

Originally Posted By buildanother

Thank you. I'm trying to build a nastier cuda smile Same engine and about 600 lbs lighter.
Posted By: Doc Schwarz

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 03:58 PM

Remember there called parking brake parts, not emergency.
Learned that from lawyers.

Re: 10" Drum Brake Identification - 05/10/17 05:00 PM

Originally Posted By Doc Schwarz
Remember there called parking brake parts, not emergency.
Learned that from lawyers.

Noted. Good point. wink
© 2024 Moparts Forums