Moparts

Detroit area tune-up

Posted By: Whitey Nocar

Detroit area tune-up - 04/25/17 12:57 AM

looking for someone to bring the Coronet to tune it. she's running a little rough. idles nicely, but when accelerating she stumbles. Looking for someone locally that knows Mopar 318s. don't mind spending a few bucks to get it tuned properly, just don't want to get ripped off. Any local members have a trustworthy shop or have any suggestions? thanks in advance.

Detroit area tune up. - 05/05/17 02:27 AM

Maybe should have titles this Detroit area instead of Livingston county?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/05/17 03:22 AM

Likely the guys here can pinpoint it (or pin it down to several potentials). what year what carb what mods (if any) any changes/recent changes/mods. stumble at part or WOT?
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/05/17 06:11 AM

Sounds like cuberator problems to me! Back in the late 70's, I had a '73 318 Roadrunner & the factory carb was a real gas hog. I installed a new Holley Economaster & it was smoother & a few MPG better. Economasters are probably a thing of the past now...
Posted By: cudaboy

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/05/17 03:21 PM

http://www.jakesautomotive.com/

I've always heard good things about these guys.

Dennis
Posted By: sleddinfool

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/08/17 04:34 AM

Is there a deptula performance out in Howell? They used to be in town and always had old mopars in the shop.. Heard the moved out that way when rent went up.
Posted By: 6T4 Polara

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/08/17 11:54 AM

http://www.winnersautoandcycle.com/

Ask for Tony
Posted By: MarkZ

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/08/17 07:02 PM

Originally Posted By cudaboy
http://www.jakesautomotive.com/

I've always heard good things about these guys.

Dennis

Those guys chassis dyno'd my Dad's 408 motor. Did a nice job of dialing it in.

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/09/17 01:34 AM

Original 318 with Holly650, has headers buts that's about it. No changes, nothing new except the missing... almost seems like on aceleration it cuts in and out. Idols fine, just under moderate to hard acceleration
Vacuum leak or timing maybe?

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/09/17 03:00 AM

plugs/plug wires/rotor phasing might be potentials. any possibility the carb might be jetted lean? 15 or a bit more might be a good initial & 35 is a reasonably close SB total (initial+slots). what year 318? bone stock ex for headers & the carb & what model carb?
Posted By: ZIPPY

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/09/17 04:10 PM

I'd normally offer to help and could most likely take care of it for you, but I'm not at all set up to accept other folks' vehicles into my shop and have to do it on a "just helping out a friend" basis instead of it being on a professional level. It's all I can do to handle my own projects and sometimes that is too much LOL.

If you have money to spend, I'd say try Jakes. Joy Fair Autocraft in Pontiac was a good shop for this kind of work years ago, but I don't know if they are still open or if they've maintained a decent reputation. Vinsetta Garage was good, until it became a restaurant.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/09/17 07:21 PM

Where do you live?

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/10/17 12:58 AM

Howell

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/10/17 01:11 AM

Originally Posted By ZIPPY
I'd normally offer to help and could most likely take care of it for you, but I'm not at all set up to accept other folks' vehicles into my shop and have to do it on a "just helping out a friend" basis

Shoot, we may already be friends... or acquaintances, this SE MI Mopar community seems to cross paths every now and then.

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 05/10/17 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By Whitey Nocar
Originally Posted By ZIPPY
I'd normally offer to help and could most likely take care of it for you, but I'm not at all set up to accept other folks' vehicles into my shop and have to do it on a "just helping out a friend" basis

Shoot, we may already be friends... or acquaintances, this SE MI Mopar community seems to cross paths every now and then.

Yeah, pretty good chance of it, actually.
I've known Doug and Randy/RIP (in your friends list)for quite a few years.

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 06/04/17 08:30 PM

Update... in case anyone cares. A good tune up solved the issue. I had a couple fried ignition wires. New plugs, wires, rotor, cap, points, condenser, timing was adjusted, carb adjusted.
Paid $290. Which I thought was steep for a tune up, but I haven't paid for a tune up since the 80's, and the car purrs, so I'm happy.

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 06/05/17 01:28 AM

I would agree a bit steep but if you're happy I'm happy.
Posted By: crlush

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 06/05/17 01:04 PM

Where did you end up going?

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 06/06/17 07:05 AM

Meyer's Automotive in Howell.

Re: Detroit area tune-up - 06/06/17 04:36 PM

Good deal smile
© 2024 Moparts Forums