Moparts

2004 Dually Trailer Harness

Posted By: Dave Hall

2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/26/17 09:30 PM

My dually is sending the left brake/signal to the trailer harness. So the left brake light is on as soon as I plug in any trailer. I checked the harness all the way to the fuse box and can't find anything. The wiring diagram shows a relay after the fuse #46 but I can't locate it for the life of me.
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 03:52 AM

Does this happen with the key on only or off to . And if you ck for power on the turn/brake terminal at the plug. There a diagram on the cover if it's a factory plug w/ key off should only be power at battery
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 04:52 AM

Probably just another bad TIPM, it will only cost you $600 or so to fix it if you can find one. eyes I played hell trying to fix my trailer running lights and turn signals as the TIPM was giving me fits from around 2006 until I sold the truck... mad
Posted By: A990

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 05:32 AM

quick youtube search found this

link

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 07:35 AM

Thanks guys! Yes the left brake light on the trailer only is on all the time. Yes the left turn/brake pin is constantly hot. The fix doesn't look so hard from the video. My next question is, would a failed relay keep something constantly hot? Seems to me it would be the other way and not send any signal? Thoughts?
Posted By: A990

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 08:09 AM

Well, I suppose a relay could somehow stick then fail, but that seems far fetched.

I definitely would open up that TIPM and get a meter on the contacts to see whats going on
Posted By: dvw

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 12:57 PM

My bet is the relays rating is to low. The contacts over heated and fused together.
Doug

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 03:27 PM

You can repair it all you want, but this is just the start of things to come, DAMHIK! Do a lot of research on the TIPM, what a piece of junk! rant

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/27/17 08:47 PM

Ok. Sorry for your troubles Rhino. I'm guessing the TIPM is the fuse/relay center box. This thing has been solid for 300,000 miles. ROCK solid! I wouldn't call it junk. If a $600 bill gets me another 300,000 it seems pretty fair to me. I have to agree that for vehicles that were built to tow this is pretty dumb. If you have a relay, why wouldn't it be plugged in to the top with the rest of them? I blame it on the Germans. For now I'm heading to Vegas with my left brake light on. I just turn the rest of the lights on so it's not so obvious. The left signal still blinks a funny little blink. Thanks for the help guys!

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/28/17 01:21 AM

Well mine started giving me problems with 40K miles on it, probably because I live in a State the salts the heck out of the roads. I lived with it until the engine blew at 165K miles and I decided to try and fix it while the engine was out. By then you couldn't buy a new TIPM because everyone else had already had problems with theirs and Chrysler was sold out so I had to get a used one. eyes After the second used unit I finally had all my lights working, then my trans problems kept coming on and I sold the truck at a loss. frown

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/28/17 01:23 PM

The TIPM is more than just a relay/fuse center. It has an internal module that controls body control functions. 3 possibilitys. A: the trailer stop/ts circuit is shorted to a a hot circuit. B: the internal relay is stuck. C: the module control for the left turn signal is commanding the relay on. The #3 possibility is unlikely if the truck turn signal/brake lamp function normally with the trailer disconnected. You could always tap into the tail lamp circuits as wel. This would require a splitter (U-haul is a good source) as your truck has seperate TS and brake lamp circuits.
Doug

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/28/17 08:57 PM

Thanks Doug! I knew some good techs would chime in! I have traced the wire all the way back to the TIPM and I can't find anything shorted. The truck functions normally so I have to go with the "B" door. Great idea on the tapping into the tail lamp on that side! Just cap off that yellow wire and run a new one from the tail light! Probably easier than what the guy in the video did. Do you see any potential problems with doing it this way? ie; needing a higher amp fuse or relay on that side?

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/28/17 11:34 PM

The only issue is without a splitter box you will not have a brake lamp on that side (or turn signal). The trailer is one circuit, the truck has separate circuits. Disasembly of the TIPM isn't that bad.
Doug

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/29/17 12:36 AM

If you need a TIPM for parts I still have my original. wave

Re: 2004 Dually Trailer Harness - 03/29/17 01:03 AM

Damn I hate to tear into this thing. I use my pickup all the time. I'm heading to Vegas next week so I won't be doing anything soon. Thanks again!
© 2024 Moparts Forums