Moparts

No compression on a rebuilt 440

Posted By: BigBird

No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/19/17 11:10 PM

I recently rebuilt a 440 out of a 76 New Yorker for a project I'm working on. This weekend was time for a first start. When cranking it showed no compression in any cylinder. Pulled the rocker assembly and it has compression (about 75psi but no air in I didn't expect it to be real high). Put the rocker back on lose and no compression. All new parts, pistons, cam, bearings, heads rebuilt (surfaced but not more than a few thousandths removed). Parts came from the engine guy that did the machine work. Cam should be like a 70 magnum grind, pistons were 30 overbore with a bump to 9.5 to 1. I did the assembly on the block, no problems during bolt together. Any ideas what might be the problem? Possible wrong cam? Pulled another 440 valve train and checked the lifters for difference (Where the push rod sits it is same height but overall length 1/6" taller) , push rod length, all the same. Checked it for another type new lifter but they were the same.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/19/17 11:21 PM

sounds like something in that rocker assembly is holding open the valves. not much else it could be. i would pull the intake and see what i could see
Posted By: stumpy

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/19/17 11:23 PM

Check the cam timing.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/19/17 11:42 PM

I was thinking of the cam timing this afternoon. If I had the chain off 180 that might do it.
Posted By: moretoys

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 12:55 AM

first thing I would do is use a cylinder leakage kit/ gauge and check leakage that way first. hear air through the intake, then intake valve open,noise out exhaust-then exhaust valve, air leaking through the crankcase, then piston/ ring problem.rings are groove location specific and dots up. if leakage is present through a valve, then try again with rocker arms off.eliminate pushrods, or could also point to valve timing.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 01:37 AM

Checked the cam timing. TDC both lifters are at the bottom. 1 turn of the crank and the exhaust lifter is up as it should be. Tried to push the lifter down and it is rock solid with no movement. The center should move as it is a hydraulic. I pulled 2 lifters and took them apart, drained the oil and they push down like I would expect. Is it possible that they are all pumped up and acting like solid lifters keeping the valves open? If so how does one keep that from happening?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 01:59 AM

If the lifters are all pumped up, and that is not a real problem, let it sit over night all assembled , then try it in the morning. You should be able to easily spin most of the push rods with you fingers then. Did the timing chain/gears get installed by a novice by the way?
Posted By: pacifica

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:00 AM

it isn't the lifters being pumped up too much. That is normal not being able to push them down by hand.

Did you try to start the engine yet and it won't fire?

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:17 AM

Timing chain was installed by myself (done 20 or so) so I'm comfortable that it is correct. Not my first engine rebuild so I am comfortable that all was assembled correctly. Rings were set as per the factory service manual, checked ring gap with a feeler gauge and filed for fit. Engine shop fitted the pistons and installed them on the rods for me.
Went to start the engine and it was blowing the gas back out the intake as well as pulling it in. I know hydraulics lifter should feel solid when working correctly but they don't bleed down when it sits overnight either.
The engine never even back fired. Has spark and fuel (another story with FITech). As I have stated it has no compression with the rockers on.
Posted By: buildanother

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:27 AM

The only odd thing you said yet was that at tdc(cyl # 1 I assume), the cam lobes are away from lifters, and you said that if you then turn crank 1 revolution, that the exhaust valve is open. Well the exhaust AND intake should be open then BUT only a minimal amount. I'm thinking that if you cannot turn any pushrods easily after it sits a spell, that some components are mismatched. (pushrods, lifters, rockers etc.)
Posted By: ek3

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:43 AM

if the timing is out by 1 tooth it can shorten the intake cycle........... you said it blows fuel out and in ......?

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:44 AM

It was #1 cylinder. The exhaust was defiantly open and the intake might have been just barely open due to overlap. Rockers and push rods were in the running engine when I tore it down. The cam and lifters were new and bought as a set. Lifter part numbers cross reference to a Mopar #3004647.
Off by a tooth it should at least fire. I've had a gear go bad and jump a tooth but I could still make it run. Wouldn't hardly pull it's self but would run and still had compression.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:46 AM

Originally Posted By BigBird
Timing chain was installed by myself (done 20 or so) so I'm comfortable that it is correct. Not my first engine rebuild so I am comfortable that all was assembled correctly. Rings were set as per the factory service manual, checked ring gap with a feeler gauge and filed for fit. Engine shop fitted the pistons and installed them on the rods for me.
Went to start the engine and it was --- "blowing the gas back out the intake as well as pulling it in. -- " I know hydraulics lifter should feel solid when working correctly but they don't bleed down when it sits overnight either.
The engine never even back fired. Has spark and fuel (another story with FITech). As I have stated it has no compression with the rockers on.
THIS.......WHEN AIR COMES OUT THE INTAKE ... THE VALVE IS OPEN AT THE WRONG TIME.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By ek3
Went to start the engine and it was --- "blowing the gas back out the intake as well as pulling it in. -- " I know hydraulics lifter should feel solid when working correctly but they don't bleed down when it sits overnight either.
THIS.......WHEN AIR COMES OUT THE INTAKE ... THE VALVE IS OPEN AT THE WRONG TIME.

As stated lifters are holding the valves open and no compression so the pistons pull and push air in and out of the intake valves/intake.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 02:54 AM

what changed ? the heads shaved ? your push rods are orig and rockers ? did you deck it ? try shimming the rocker shafts with some tin foil [just to check] to see if that corrects it .or maybe you have some rocker shims.. ?

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 03:03 AM

Originally Posted By ek3
what changed ? the heads shaved ? your push rods are orig and rockers ? did you deck it ?

Heads and block were milled less than 10 thousandths total combined. The only thing new were the cam and lifters in the valve train. I've milled a pair of 440 heads 60 thousandths with out issues on the valve train in the past.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 03:31 AM

SO WHY WOULD THE VALVES BE HELD OPEN ? nothing changed . maybe the .010" lower added to the push rod length and you need to shim the shafts to get the preload back ?? maybe a lifter variance ? that's about it . .something had to get longer to hold them open .
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 03:36 AM

I'm assuming that the motor is in the car with the starter working, correct? If so pull all the push rods out except the two for number one cylinder and pull all the spark plugs out so you can spin the motor over on the starter with your finger or a compression gauge in the spark plug hole to see if that cylinder is making any compression or not scope
If the dots on the crank gear and the cam gear are marked correctly and you do not have the dot directly above the crank gear tooth aligned with the cam gear dot you should be close enough to get the motor to start and run. Check and see if you aligned the crank gear dot out near the teeth or the one directly above the crankshaft key way, if you used the inner dot on the crank gear remove it and retime it with both dots nearest the gear teeth scope thumbs

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 03:55 AM

Originally Posted By ek3
SO WHY WOULD THE VALVES BE HELD OPEN ? nothing changed . maybe the .010" lower added to the push rod length and you need to shim the shafts to get the preload back ?? maybe a lifter variance ? that's about it . .something had to get longer to hold them open .

That's why I posted here. I've worked on my own Mopars for close to 40 years and not seen this before and was hoping some here had. I've rebuilt at least 6 440's as well as several small blocks and several different Chevy and Ford engines. I always have made sure the timing marks are correct as it is so hard to go back and check once it is installed.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 04:04 AM

Originally Posted By Cab_Burge
I'm assuming that the motor is in the car with the starter working, correct? If so pull all the push rods out except the two for number one cylinder and pull all the spark plugs out so you can spin the motor over on the starter with your finger or a compression gauge in the spark plug hole to see if that cylinder is making any compression or not scope
If the dots on the crank gear and the cam gear are marked correctly and you do not have the dot directly above the crank gear tooth aligned with the cam gear dot you should be close enough to get the motor to start and run. Check and see if you aligned the crank gear dot out near the teeth or the one directly above the crankshaft key way, if you used the inner dot on the crank gear remove it and retime it with both dots nearest the gear teeth scope thumbs

Motor is in the car. I am trying all the options before pulling the front off the engine as it has AC and all re-installed. I bleed 2 lifters off on #1 cylinder and will install them tomorrow while taking all the rest of the push rods out. That will tell if that is what I'll have to do.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 04:49 AM

with #1 cyl cam lobes on base circle/dampener at 15 BTDC or whatever your current initial setting is, at that point is the rotor under or near under the #1 plug wire? and dist magnet fairly even with the reluctor? what is your preload?

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 05:20 AM

Originally Posted By ek3

That's why I posted here. I've worked on my own Mopars for close to 40 years and not seen this before and was hoping some here had. I've rebuilt at least 6 440's as well as several small blocks and several different Chevy and Ford engines. I always have made sure the timing marks are correct as it is so hard to go back and check once it is installed.
I mean no disrespect .. It seems that something had to get longer to hold "all" the valves open .. if the lifters are bled down , they will just pump back up when you run it again. either something got longer or the timing is off some how in my opinion... as much as I hate to admit it I have missed the marks before and I have done hundreds of em .. usually I degree the cam and it would show up then !!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 05:44 AM

Are you using a single keyway crank gear or the three slot gear?
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 10:31 AM

Cam or crank gear out of position on either their respective shafts due to a machining mishap?
Posted By: charge70

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 12:19 PM

Lifters were boxed wrong and are too tall?

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 04:05 PM

Originally Posted By charge70
Lifters were boxed wrong and are too tall?

Bought another set of lifters to replace the ones in my engine. Opened one and compared it to the ones in the engine. They were the same size with no external difference. Where the push rod sets was the same as the ones installed. I returned them for a refund but I might get them back and change them anyway. Today I'll try the ones I took the oil out of in #1 cylinder and see how they work on that hole. Crank gear was a single slot gear. If they don't show any change I'll disassemble the engine front and check timing marks. If that is good it comes down to the cam being wrong for the engine and require a replacement to be installed. Hate the thought of that.
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 04:22 PM

Did you degree the cam or just go dot to dot? What cam did you use? If you degreed it, where did you install it at?
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 04:26 PM

Originally Posted By ek3
what changed ? the heads shaved ? your push rods are orig and rockers ? did you deck it ?

Heads and block were milled less than 10 thousandths total combined. The only thing new were the cam and lifters in the valve train. I've milled a pair of 440 heads 60 thousandths with out issues on the valve train in the past.

What lifters do you have ?? Have you CONFIRMED correct pushrod length?

AMC and Chrysler both use a .904 lifter, the seat height of the lifter is .200 HIGHER in an AMC, if you have AMC lifters ... MANY HP lifters are built now to AMC spec for some reason ??? ... and you have stock Chrysler length pushrods your valves will ALWAYS be open which may be why you THINK the lifters are always pumped up and never bleed down because the lifters are always bottomed out ...

You mention wrong cam maybe?? The only other cam that is going to fit into a BB Chrysler block is a HEMI cam and it has different intake and exhaust positioning, but will be a 3 bolt front instead of a single bolt front, is the cam single or 3?

It should be pretty simple to figure out if the lifters are bottom out by looking at them when the rocker gear is installed.

I always run the engine first before on a run in stand now to break the cam in and look for any leaks that can not be seen easily when it's installed in the engine bay and all the accessories are installed, like one I had on a brand new oil pump from bad machining by Melling ... I think your issue should be easy to see.
Posted By: TJP

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By moretoys
first thing I would do is use a cylinder leakage kit/ gauge and check leakage that way first. hear air through the intake, then intake valve open,noise out exhaust-then exhaust valve, air leaking through the crankcase, then piston/ ring problem.rings are groove location specific and dots up. if leakage is present through a valve, then try again with rocker arms off.eliminate pushrods, or could also point to valve timing.

iagree
Posted By: dvw

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 06:00 PM

To double check cam timing. When #1 is at TDC both lifters on #6 sold be partially open and dead level if the cam is installed straight up. I've had the lifters bottom. As a test grab 5 spark plug washers and stuff them under a rocker shaft. Compression test.
Doug

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 06:22 PM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By ek3

What lifters do you have ?? Have you CONFIRMED correct pushrod length?

AMC and Chrysler both use a .904 lifter, the seat height of the lifter is .200 HIGHER in an AMC, if you have AMC lifters ... MANY HP lifters are built now to AMC spec for some reason ??? ... and you have stock Chrysler length pushrods your valves will ALWAYS be open which may be why you THINK the lifters are always pumped up and never bleed down because the lifters are always bottomed out ...

You mention wrong cam maybe?? The only other cam that is going to fit into a BB Chrysler block is a HEMI cam and it has different intake and exhaust positioning, but will be a 3 bolt front instead of a single bolt front, is the cam single or 3?

It should be pretty simple to figure out if the lifters are bottom out by looking at them when the rocker gear is installed.

I always run the engine first before on a run in stand now to break the cam in and look for any leaks that can not be seen easily when it's installed in the engine bay and all the accessories are installed, like one I had on a brand new oil pump from bad machining by Melling ... I think your issue should be easy to see.

I have a single bolt on the cam. It was a Comp cam with lifters sent with it. Talked to the guy that did the machine work and he feels it in the lifter as well. He suggests checking lifter preload on 2 exhaust valves on each end of rocker. Also he gave me an idea on how to check the bleed down on the lifter.
I was searching the same issues and see that AMC and Chrysler have a lifter. They didn't mention the AMC is .200 higher which would make all the difference.
Further investigation into the lifters is where I'll look.
Posted By: 70Cuda383

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 07:17 PM

With lifters drained of oil toss them back in and install pushrods and rockers. With lobes on base circle, you should be able to push down on the rocker arm and feel the plunger compress.

If you can't, your pushrods are too long.
Posted By: minivan

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 07:41 PM

Did you by some chance get lifters or pushrods for a 67 440??

They changed in 68 and can be used in an older block, but you cannot mix n match the old lifters or pushrods with the newer stuff.

I know WAY out in left field but??????
Posted By: feets

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 07:50 PM

I was thinking of the cam timing this afternoon. If I had the chain off 180 that might do it.

The chain is 180 off on every other engine revolution. It spins at half crank speed. No loss of compression there or mechanical harm done.

If you installed it upside down it would make the distributor 180 out in relation to the cam. Time the dist and the engine would run just fine.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/20/17 10:14 PM

Originally Posted By feets

The chain is 180 off on every other engine revolution. It spins at half crank speed. No loss of compression there or mechanical harm done.

If you installed it upside down it would make the distributor 180 out in relation to the cam. Time the dist and the engine would run just fine.

Ok this is what I found this morning. Messed with the lifters some more. Bleed 2 down stuck them in #1 hole. Compression came up to 75psi but the rocker shaft was lose by .045 to make it work. Not a repeatable way to go. Pulled the front off the engine and looked at the cam/crank timing. It was a 3 slot crank gear. I didn't remember it being that but it was. I had installed the gears as per the instructions on the paperwork that came with the gear set. I pulled the timing gears off and set the #1 cylinder at top dead center. I installed the cam timing gear where it was both lifters closed and compared it for marks. I had put them in 180 degrees by the instructions in the gear set paperwork. Did a compression test with the new configuration and it was 125psi.
So what I have found is the gears were installed correctly as per the instructions but not as per the engine lay out. Misprint? Mis-read? I know it was a couple days of messing around trying to trouble shoot a problem that shouldn't have been.
Ruined 1 lifter messing around with them. Cheap enough at $9.00. Need to reassemble the front of the engine and go for another trial run. Now to get FItech to call me back and sort out hand held programmer problem.
I thank all that gave input to the issue and thoughts of what might have been wrong.
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 12:41 AM

Glad you found it. up I think we've all driven ourselves crazy looking for a problem like this when it was mismarked or just plain wrong parts.

"How often have I said to you that when you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be the truth?" - Sherlock Holmes whistling

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 03:29 AM

some timing sprockets have a complicated combo of dots/squares/triangles/ovals etc. the piston will be at TDC when the crank keyway is at 1:30 o'clock (that ain't exact but close). On the crank sprocket the "mark" closest to the center hole ID where the crank snout goes into is supposed to be for locating which keyway to use for adv/ret/straight up and the "mark" closer to the OD near(er) higher up to the tooth root is the one to use for getting it "dot to dot" (& a 3 keyway set with have 3 of those "outer" marks). I've been bit on this before cuz some marks ain't stamped dead on & are misleading and different brands can have a different combo of heiroglyphics. Keep us updated..
Posted By: RTSrunner

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 06:08 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
some timing sprockets have a complicated combo of dots/squares/triangles/ovals etc. the piston will be at TDC when the crank keyway is at 1:30 o'clock (that ain't exact but close). On the crank sprocket the "mark" closest to the center hole ID where the crank snout goes into is supposed to be for locating which keyway to use for adv/ret/straight up and the "mark" closer to the OD near(er) higher up to the tooth root is the one to use for getting it "dot to dot" (& a 3 keyway set with have 3 of those "outer" marks). I've been bit on this before cuz some marks ain't stamped dead on & are misleading and different brands can have a different combo of heiroglyphics. Keep us updated..

True,some are hard to ID what mark matches what corresponding mark.This is where a degree wheel pays off!
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 07:30 AM

I do a lot of my own work but I get a friend when it comes to cam timing.
Posted By: StrkrDart69

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 03:28 PM

Always degree a cam. Would of saved you a lot of bs.
Posted By: dan9

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 04:00 PM

You have to admit that these guys are impressive, when given some misinformation they zeroed in on the exact area where the problem was.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 05:10 PM

Originally Posted By minivan

They changed in 68 and can be used in an older block, but you cannot mix n match the old lifters or pushrods with the newer stuff.

I don't think that would be an issue, companies stop making that small cup lifter decades ago.
Posted By: dvw

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/21/17 09:24 PM

That's why I said quick and dirty. Check if the #6 cyl lifters are level when #1 is on TDC compression (#6 TDC overlap). If they are the cam is installed at split overlap (no advance or retard).
Doug

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 03:31 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert

Well all went back together and I got a hold of the FItech guys today and sorted out the problem I was having. A simple fix after I got a hold of them. They need more techs. Tomorrow I hope to fire it and break the cam in. Another step forward on a long term project. I'll drive it as a rat for a season then strip the body down for a repaint.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 03:47 AM

Originally Posted By dan9
You have to admit that these guys are impressive, when given some misinformation they zeroed in on the exact area where the problem was.

That's one of the reasons I posted. I had racked my brain and was at a stand still.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 04:35 AM

Murphys Law (& it was St Patricks day). When you're burning rubber it'll be forgotten.
Posted By: Silver70

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 04:54 AM

I recently put a 5.7 hemi together, never thought anything about it after doing tons of mopar engines... put the timing marks cam at 6 and crank at 12. When I was spinning it over, at 1st had a tight spot, but seemed fine. Put in the truck and it sputters and spins fast when I tried to fire it. Turns out I had the them both backwards. Lucked out and didn't bend a valve since it's interference engine.

Anyways, it happens!
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 05:41 PM

I don't think that would be an issue, companies stop making that small cup lifter decades ago.

Nope..... Still available.
Comp cams 824-16
Hylift Johnson A-812

Probably some others as well

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/22/17 07:58 PM

Originally Posted By fast68plymouth

Comp cams 824-16
Hylift Johnson A-812

Thanks for the clarification, really surprised they are available .
Posted By: BSB67

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/23/17 01:20 AM

Comp cams 824-16
Hylift Johnson A-812

Thanks for the clarification, really surprised they are available .

But I think that the only difference is the ball and plunger cup size. I think plunger height and PR length are the same. I guess if you put a 68 PR in a 67 lifter the total stack height might be a little more.

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/23/17 01:25 AM

I have 4 new ones if you do need a check of em.
Posted By: fast68plymouth

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/23/17 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67

But I think that the only difference is the ball and plunger cup size. I think plunger height and PR length are the same. I guess if you put a 68 PR in a 67 lifter the total stack height might be a little more.

66-67 = 9.375"
68-78 = 9.315"
Posted By: BSB67

Re: No compression on a rebuilt 440 - 03/23/17 03:07 AM

Originally Posted By BSB67

66-67 = 9.375"
68-78 = 9.315"

And there is the answer. Thanks
© 2024 Moparts Forums