Moparts

Power steering box replace

Posted By: cudaman1969

Power steering box replace - 03/07/17 06:16 AM

I have a 65 Plym that I'm changing to power steering. I have A-bodys, c-bodys, 2 64s and a few in storage that I don't have a clue what they came out of, any differences other than pitman arm? Anyway to check condition (wear) before I install it?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Power steering box replace - 03/07/17 04:14 PM

No way that I know of to check em other than to install it. & no idea if or how much of a psi difference there is on different boxes (but there must be some difference I would think or how the psi is modulated). I would give Firm Feel a quick call & pick their brains for some free advice. Other than that just me I would install the one that fits the easiest & go from there.

Re: Power steering box replace - 03/07/17 06:00 PM

Thanks, I would prefer one with more effort to turn, didn't know there was a pressure difference from a to c bodys. More I think about it, does sound reasonable. I'll try an a-body one first.
Posted By: Carsavior

Re: Power steering box replace - 03/08/17 05:42 PM

You adjust the feel of the steering by swimming the output of the power steering pump. I did it on my 65 New Yorker and it works great. The procedure is on here somewhere...

Re: Power steering box replace - 03/08/17 06:59 PM

Originally Posted By Carsavior
You adjust the feel of the steering by swimming the output of the power steering pump. I did it on my 65 New Yorker and it works great. The procedure is on here somewhere...

Did you mean shimming? Would it be in "corners and handling"?
© 2024 Moparts Forums