Moparts

Firewall Hole identification

Posted By: L.R Helbling

Firewall Hole identification - 02/25/17 09:45 PM

1971 Roadrunner with Midland-Ross Brake booster, power drum brakes originally and automatic transmission with 3 speed column shift originally.

Can anyone identify this hole to the right of the brake booster between it and the hood hinge? It seems as if there was a repair made to the sheet metal and they only covered up half the hole. I've never been able to identify what the hole was used for originally or if it just came from the factory with a plug and the plug was lost.

Posted By: T2R9

Re: Firewall Hole identification - 02/25/17 10:10 PM

If the car came with a remote hood release it would use that hole. My car had a plug there.

Attached picture IMG_0104.JPG

Re: Firewall Hole identification - 02/25/17 10:17 PM

The car came with a trunk that was jam packed with extra parts. A remote hood release cable was included with those parts. If I recall correctly, the pull handle was chrome and had the word "hood" on the face. Sadly, I didn't have the latch that this attaches to and opted to use a regular exterior mounted hood release.

Thank you
Posted By: 71birdJ68

Re: Firewall Hole identification - 02/25/17 11:26 PM

Yes, looks like a botched repair job. Also that hole could have been used for a foot operated windshield washer pump.

Re: Firewall Hole identification - 02/26/17 04:37 AM

So the hole was used for either a foot activated washer pump or a remote hood release cable. I'm thinking that mine just had a plug in it. And yes, now I know that this was a botched repair (which now bothers me)........and that the hole is actually supposed to be round. Ok we're going to fix that.
© 2024 Moparts Forums