Moparts

SB Kick down linkage

Posted By: Anonymous

SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 01:33 AM

The 340 in my 70 duster will soon be having an Edelbrock performer manifold with a 1" spacer atop. The kickdown linkage rod will be too short. Will the rod from a big block be longer and shaped well enough to work?
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 02:17 AM

first I will ask you why you would use the performer over the stock intake. About the only advantage you will get is it is lighter. From what I have seen the performance won't be much better. You will have to lengthen (splice in) the rod from the carb to the belcrank and rebend to get the right angle for your spacing to get the proper adjustment. Remember to use the light spring to pull it into constant contact with the carb. pin.
Posted By: bigD

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 07:47 AM

Ditto on the mods to the rods /likange,D.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 03:23 PM

The hardware stores carry a hollow nut about 2" long that screws on the existing linkage then you buy a piece of all- thread the right size and cut to fit and install the sloted piece of linkage that attaches to the carb on the end of the all-thread. The nut will give some adjustability for finite tweeks.

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 03:42 PM

Why the performer intake? Well, I believed the ad in the mopar car mags back 8 years ago or so when Edelbrock was showing significant increases in hp and torque when the performer intake and carb were teamed together. As to whether it helped, that's anybody's guess. Bouchillon makes a kickdown linkage system, but it's megabucks and I'm hoping to find a cheaper way. Thanks for the tips. I may just weld a 2" piece of rod steel in the middle. I was even thinking of cutting the rod in half, then slipping a hollow steel rod over the break, adjusting it to the correct length, then crimping it. That way I could always restore it to its original length. I was just hoping that perchance the BB rod was sufficient. Guess it's not.

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 07:20 PM

This is what I used on my 360 van. It cost $2.45 and 20 minutes work.

Attached picture 1428459-kick down.jpg

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 08:16 PM

YOu gotta realize most car ads, even in mopar specific magazine, use SBC test data.

While I am not familar with the specific ad you are talking about it's possible this is the case.

I remember an ad for one of the aftermarket SBC heads that compared their head on a 350 versus a stock 305 head on a 350.

Hmm, let's put a small head on an engine that it never came with then show big gains. Yeah, that'll get the suckers.

You gotta take ads with a big old grain of salt.

Thor
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 08:32 PM

Quote:

YOu gotta realize most car ads, even in mopar specific magazine, use SBC test data.

While I am not familar with the specific ad you are talking about it's possible this is the case.

I remember an ad for one of the aftermarket SBC heads that compared their head on a 350 versus a stock 305 head on a 350.

Hmm, let's put a small head on an engine that it never came with then show big gains. Yeah, that'll get the suckers.

You gotta take ads with a big old grain of salt.

Thor

Huh?? What does this have to do with kickdown linkage?
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 09:02 PM

I'm running an Airgap on my 360. All i did was weld a 1" extension on the rod coming up from the bell crank and made adjsutemnts from there.

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 09:09 PM

"Huh?? What does this have to do with kickdown linkage?"

It has to do with the original post about why the change was necessary.
Posted By: Hotwheelsjr

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 09:21 PM

Quote:

"Huh?? What does this have to do with kickdown linkage?"

It has to do with the original post about why the change was necessary.

Ahhhhh, okay. I see the point. My bad, carry on.

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/19/05 09:34 PM

Okey Dokey.

Re: SB Kick down linkage - 01/20/05 03:15 AM

Yeah, I can see how easy it is to modify the linkage rod that goes to the carb. But specifically I was asking about the rod that comes up from the tranny to the bell crank which will have to be mounted on an extended height bracket. Doesn't that one have to be lengthened and will a BB rod work? Heck, maybe I only need to lengthen and reshape the carb rod and the bell crank takes up the difference in height for the tranny rod. Sorry to ramble on with this thread but I'm eager to fire her up and this is the last hurdle.
© 2024 Moparts Forums