Moparts

What Happened??

Posted By: moparphilll

What Happened?? - 12/11/16 05:52 AM

Purchased a charger, Not running, Thought it had thrown a rod...because it would turn over so far and then clunk..

Attached picture IMG_5594.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 05:54 AM

Pulled motor and trans out, here is what isleft of Flex plate.

Attached picture IMG_0427.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 05:55 AM

So What could have done this? with the flex plate off motor it turns over with no restrictions...
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:01 AM

Sometimes stock flexplates just give up. I made one look like that in a 340 Swinger once.

Bolts might have loosened up or some such thing.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:05 AM

iagree With the amount of leaking fluids I would give good odds that the bolts came loose. twocents
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:15 AM

OE flex plate bolts have thin heads so they clear the back of the block.

What bolts were in it?

Check the rear webbing of the block for damage / bolt head scrapes.

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:17 AM

all bolts still tight in torque converter.

Attached picture IMG_5597.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:20 AM

Wow! Got rusty and weak I guess????

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:22 AM

Maybe through it into reverse at 60??? Who knows?
Posted By: buildanother

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 06:27 AM

With the direction of the tearing of flexplate, it almost looks as if the converter locked in place some how?
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Was the shifter in park when it died?

Any flat spots on the rear tires?
Posted By: mopargem

Are the locator dowl pins in the bell housing. Misalignment can cause a flex plate to fail
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 07:30 AM

more than a few too many neutral slams
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 07:34 AM

Originally Posted By mopargem
Are the locator dowl pins in the bell housing. Misalignment can cause a flex plate to fail

That's my thought too.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 09:30 AM

Originally Posted By 6bblgt
more than a few too many neutral slams

Agreed,
I broke one like this in my plow truck in 1979 blizzard.
Posted By: bobby66

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 12:51 PM

Seen it before.
Posted By: therocks

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 02:54 PM

I had a Ford come into the shop years ago.Changed oil went to start and nothing after a large clunk.The flex plate just broke.Didnt look that bad but it snapped off completley.New plate and all was well.Oh yeah the motor and trans had never been apart.Rocky

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 04:53 PM

one pin only I was not driving the car,,Purchased it non running. webbing looked ok on back of engine found one bolt in flex plate loose?

Attached picture IMG_0435.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0434.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 04:57 PM

Dilemma: do I just get another flex plate and bolt back togather or send in tranny? OR rip down motor? have pan off all rotates good. Not the #'s motor for the car so could switch out

154800 is car vin

Attached picture IMG_0433.JPG
Attached picture IMG_0429.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 04:59 PM

the car

Attached picture IMG_0443.JPG
Posted By: dvw

Re: What Happened?? - 12/11/16 05:53 PM

Put a plate in it and start it up. Not the first one I've seen break. I personally have had 2 do this. Replaced the plates and never had another issue with either car.
Doug
Posted By: poorboy

Re: What Happened?? - 12/14/16 12:34 AM

You might get by with installing a new flex plate (and new bolts) and driving it, but my luck is the trans will die in short order. Since the trans is out, I'd send it in for a rebuild. The possible neutral drop cause for the damage flex plate, and the visual appearance of the trans itself would warrant a rebuild in my book.

Other then the normal motor concerns with buying a car like this, I would not have issues with the motor. It was hanging up on the broken flex plate, once that was resolved, the motor turned over OK. Gene
Posted By: dogdays

Re: What Happened?? - 12/14/16 01:00 AM

Does Joe Dirt have a relative living up in the Dakotas?

I wish you well, Chargers are not to be wasted.

If you get tired of it, I've got a farm somewhere up US 52 that you can haul it to.......

R.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: What Happened?? - 12/14/16 03:21 AM

Could be that is was cracked for a while and someone kept driving and due to time and vibration it busted out the rest of the way in one swift bang.

I agree with sending the trans for a check, at a minimum pull the pan and look for metal parts, 727s aren't bad about showing material but you should get an idea by the smell of the fluid and any metal in the pan. twocents
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What Happened?? - 12/14/16 06:57 PM

Originally Posted By mopar346
Could be that is was cracked for a while and someone kept driving and due to time and vibration it busted out the rest of the way in one swift bang.

This , I have no idea how a neutral drop is responsible for that ???

There is no HARD mechanical connection between the back of the crank and the mainshaft of the transmission , total FLUID coupling inside the torque converter .

Neutral drops will only affect the trans internals , drive shaft and the rear end.

The many hours of running with that misalignment because one dowel pin was missing is what crack and ultimately broke that flexplate.

I'd be looking at the convertor snout and the bushing in the front drum for wear, along with changing the front seal.

Post up a picture of the converter snout ...
Posted By: feets

Re: What Happened?? - 12/14/16 07:53 PM

That's a fairly common failure on the early Cummins trucks. I've seen a cracked plate on a gas engine too.

I wouldn't be overly concerned. Someone just let it a cracked one go to long and it finally failed.
Posted By: moper

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 02:28 PM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
Originally Posted By mopar346

This , I have no idea how a neutral drop is responsible for that ???

There is no HARD mechanical connection between the back of the crank and the mainshaft of the transmission , total FLUID coupling inside the torque converter .

Neutral drops will only affect the trans internals , drive shaft and the rear end.

The many hours of running with that misalignment because one dowel pin was missing is what crack and ultimately broke that flexplate.

I'd be looking at the convertor snout and the bushing in the front drum for wear, along with changing the front seal.

Post up a picture of the converter snout ...

x2. You should have two dowel pins - and you'll need the 2nd one when you put that back together... Unless you want another broken plate.
Posted By: MO_PA

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 05:28 PM

Make sure both locating dowels are in the back of the block

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 05:33 PM

where do you get those dowels or do u just get one out of another block?

Attached picture IMG_5608.JPG
Attached picture IMG_5605.JPG

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 05:35 PM

Found out the car had been Towed on car Dolly from Washington state to North Dakota...The drive shaft was NOT removed tsk
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 05:56 PM

Originally Posted By moparphilll
Found out the car had been Towed on car Dolly from Washington state to North Dakota...The drive shaft was NOT removed tsk

That didn't cause the flexplate to break , but with that knowledge I would be going thru the trans. Pay close attention to the mainshaft surface that rides in the rear support and the rear support itself.
Posted By: skicker

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 05:57 PM

The pump is not in the rear of the trans. Shouldn't have mattered should it? shruggy
I'd agree its a good practice to remove it especially when going that far...but it could've never done that damage...
I believe the missing dowel is the reason for the damage... twocents
Posted By: 3hundred

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 06:13 PM

Originally Posted By skicker
The pump is not in the rear of the trans. Shouldn't have mattered should it? shruggy
I'd agree its a good practice to remove it especially when going that far...but it could've never done that damage...
I believe the missing dowel is the reason for the damage... twocents

Typically flat towing w/ the driveshaft left in is limited to something like 35 miles at fairly low speeds. I wouldn't chance it, I'd go through the transmission before attempting to install it. 2¢

Robert
Posted By: 451Mopar

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 06:59 PM

You need both dowel pins. That top hole looks a bit oblong, like the trans case was moving?
With the transmission apart, you could even check the run out to the trans pump housing in the case and correct it if needed.
For offset dowel pins:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html

I would go through the trans and rebuild it. If your mechanically inclined, you could do it for $100-200 depending on the quality of parts used.

Re: What Happened?? - 12/15/16 08:27 PM

Originally Posted By 451Mopar
You need both dowel pins. That top hole looks a bit oblong, like the trans case was moving?
With the transmission apart, you could even check the run out to the trans pump housing in the case and correct it if needed.
For offset dowel pins:
http://www.robbmcperformance.com/products/dowels.html

I would go through the trans and rebuild it. If your mechanically inclined, you could do it for $100-200 depending on the quality of parts used.

GREAT Thanks for info and Link!!
Posted By: ragin sonny

Re: What Happened?? - 12/16/16 05:09 AM

PHIL,YOU HAVE MOPAR'S BIGGEST LOW STALL TRUCK CONVERTER. UPGRADE TO A BETTER/SMALLER CONVERTER/FLEXPLATE WHEN YOU REBUILD YOUR TRANS. THAT THING IS PROBABLY FULL OF TRASH ANYWAY. YOU'LL WANT A NEW CLEAN CONVERTER FOR THAT CHARGER. NICE CAR.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: What Happened?? - 12/16/16 06:44 AM

Originally Posted By mopargem

Correct diagnoisis🔝.

It happens quite often from storing the block on the floor with the dowels pointing to the ground.

Since the are tapers they need to be pulled out so more than the taper is engaged to the transmission holes, which also have a lead in.
Posted By: dondon

Re: What Happened?? - 12/16/16 07:12 AM

I had a cracked flex plate on my 72 duster. I put a new flex plate on and three weeks later it broke again, so I knew I had a probelm. I was told the torque convertor (front punp) bushing was worn out, which caused the convertor to wobble and crack the flex plate. Replaced the bushing in the front pump and the convertor. Probelm solved.

Re: What Happened?? - 12/17/16 06:15 AM

Thanks for all the input: up I am going to replace torque converter and get dool installed have not took pan off the tranny yet to see what it lloks like..
Posted By: Evil Spirit

Re: What Happened?? - 12/19/16 12:16 AM

Hard to really see the condition of the converter snout in the picture, but in my experience missing pins or a mis-aligned bellhousing will usually junk the front pump bushing and converter snout far before it would break the flex plate.

So with that said, I would at least change the front pump bushing and seal if you don't go through the whole trans.
© 2024 Moparts Forums