Moparts

Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner?

Posted By: rarefish

Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/01/16 01:30 AM

I have read that there can be a air cleaner clearance problem with the Street Demon carb. I have read that some base plates can run interference with the electric choke. I'm thinking of buying a Street Demon, but I want to use my stock 69-69 black wrinkle air cleaner. Does anyone have any experience with that carb and air cleaner combo?
Posted By: 440_Offroader

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/01/16 05:48 PM

I have a 625 Street demon on a 360. No clearance issues with an after market chrome air cleaner or a mid 70's factory truck air cleaner. The later has about a 1/2" of clearance to the choke. The choke assembly is about 3/4" lower from where the air cleaner sits. So if your air filter has less than a 3/4" drop, I would think it should work.
Posted By: mopar346

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 03:48 AM

I run a drop base from an aftermarket chrome air cleaner on a Holley and a RPM intake with no clearance issues on my 69 GTS, I don't run a choke but I see no reason if would interfere. I think mine is an old Moroso but I have heard the Ford Motorsports 13 inch drop base air cleaner base will work as well with a factory magnum lid. Of course the Ford part will slow the car down but at least it wont rub. I run a Holley on a 440 in the 68 RT Coronet with no clearance issues under a stock hood with the correct magnum lid and base so you might get lucky depending on your car, it doesn't run a choke either, one more great thing about living in Florida. grin

Not sure of a height difference between a Holley and Demon but I believe they are the same, heat spacers under the Holleys will give me issues. As strange as it sounds I use marshmallow on top of the air cleaner to check clearance and lower the hood slowly and check for contact, lowering it a little more each time.

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 06:03 AM

Take a look at the picture of the carb. It sure looks like any air cleaners that drops some right after the base ring might have a clearance problem.

Attached picture street-demon-carburetor1.jpg
Posted By: ScottSmith_Harms

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 06:46 AM

I haven't tried it yet but I bet one of these will work (70-71 340)

Attached picture 1970 & 1971 All 340 Unsilenced Air Cleaner 2.jpg
Attached picture 1970 & 1971 All 340 unsilenced air cleaner (2).jpg
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 03:18 PM

I have a late 60's unsilenced air cleaner on a 750 street demon (the thermoquad lookalike) and it fits fine.

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 05:11 PM

Originally Posted By 440newport
I have a late 60's unsilenced air cleaner on a 750 street demon (the thermoquad lookalike) and it fits fine.

That sounds like the news that I want to hear. Thanks...
This is the air cleaner that I'm planning on using and it sounds like you have proven that it will work.

Attached picture 340 Air cleaner.jpg
Posted By: 440newport

Re: Street Demon Carb. using stock Air Cleaner? - 12/02/16 07:09 PM

Originally Posted By rarefish

That sounds like the news that I want to hear. Thanks...
This is the air cleaner that I'm planning on using and it sounds like you have proven that it will work.

Yeah that's the one. I was surprised it fit along with an RPM intake under the hood of my 80 Mirada.
© 2024 Moparts Forums