Moparts

roadunner fender interchange...

Posted By: plazomat

roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 12:41 AM

Hi Looking for a set of good steel fenders for my 1969 roadrunner..found some good and cheap ones from a 1970...will they fit at all?

Plaz
Posted By: topside

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 12:47 AM

Mostly, yes; styling is different, and I'd bet they're different around the headlamp bezel as well.
Certainly any '69 Belvedere, Satellite, Sport Satellite, or GTX fender will interchange; trim holes will differ due to different nameplates & moldings.
'68s differ at the side markers, and I've heard at the radiator support, but never tried the swap so I can't confirm.

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 12:51 AM

Thanks topside..I was wondering around headlight bezel as well...

the styling differences..trim holes are no biggy..
P
Posted By: forphorty

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 02:03 AM

Styling differences are quite obvious. 69 has an eyebrow over the fender opening that the 70 does not. If you find some good cheap 70 fenders, buy them, sell them for a profit and then buy some 69 ones. The 70 fenders should be more valuable than the 69 as no one makes aftermarket steel 70 fenders that I am aware of.
Posted By: Stanton

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 05:16 AM

'68 will interchange a lot easier than '70's. If you bolt on '70's I doubt any other front end stuff will fit or look right - hood, grill, headlight buckets, valance.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 11/30/16 04:19 PM

Originally Posted By plazomat
Thanks topside..I was wondering around headlight bezel as well...

the styling differences..trim holes are no biggy..
P

70 will bolt on to the front of the car and line up with the door contour, that is where the similarity ends.

As noted a 68 fender is easier to make work , all you need to do is change the marker light hole, add in the piece that the headlight bezel screws to and add the top mounting point that attaches the fender to the upper radiator cross bar.

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/01/16 12:27 AM

Thanks a bunch guys....I will pass on these fenders and keep my eye out...

Plaz
Posted By: sthemi

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/01/16 12:11 PM

It has been a while, but I don't believe the 68 and 69 are a true exchange, I think the flanges bolt up differently by the core support.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/01/16 02:59 PM

Originally Posted By sthemi
It has been a while, but I don't believe the 68 and 69 are a true exchange, I think the flanges bolt up differently by the core support.
You can put a 68 on the 69 core support easily , the 69 on a 68 core support requires mods , it will not bolt on without at least removing a bracket that goes across the top of the radiator cross bar.

For 68 the hood bumper is on the core support, in 69 it is on a bracket that is attached to the fender in the same spot.
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/03/16 06:00 AM

Pretty much correct. 1969 is '69 only - 2 door - Sattelite, Belvidere, RR, GTX. Back when I was selling sheetmetal in the 80's & early 90's, '69 RR fenders were the one year only. Definitely NO on Coronet fenders too!
Posted By: pnypwr

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/03/16 02:50 PM

I have some rust free 69 fenders kinda beat up I was going to use to save my 68s. The park area is different, headlight bucket has an extra bracket to mount the grille and there is a bracket to attach to rad support the 68 doesn't have. 70s are smooth and don't have the upper reveal line the 8s and 9s do...I'd swap a 9 for an 8 to save a couple days of welding
Posted By: Morty426

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/03/16 10:14 PM

Every year RR fender is different 68 69 70
Posted By: Sunroofcuda

Re: roadunner fender interchange... - 12/04/16 11:52 PM

Originally Posted By Sunroofcuda

Pretty much correct. 1969 is '69 only - 2 door - Sattelite, Belvidere, RR, GTX. Back when I was selling sheetmetal in the 80's & early 90's, '69 RR fenders were the one year only. Definitely NO on Coronet fenders too!

Also, 2dr. or 4dr. = same.
© 2024 Moparts Forums