Moparts

Timing or carb?

Posted By: Moparmaniacc

Timing or carb? - 11/28/16 04:10 AM

Another easy question for you guys, my 440 Challenger has a serious stumble when I try to accelerate in any gear at low RPM. If I really try to get on it, it'll backfire thru the carb. It's stock electronic distributor and Edelbrock 1413 Performer 800cfm carb.

Hint #2: It smells like its running too rich at idle.

I think I had the timing advanced a bit too much before (I can feel the power loss when I go too far) and may have backed it off a bit too much.

I know I should get the timing light out instead of doing it by ear (and tick marks I make on the distributor housing), but...I've been real leery of using timing lights ever since I was a teenager and wasted a lot of time diagnosing my 318 until I figured out the problem was caused by a stretched/jumped timing chain and using the timing light was giving me worthless readings.

Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Timing or carb? - 11/28/16 04:23 AM

Put a timing light on it!
Posted By: ozymaxwedge

Re: Timing or carb? - 11/28/16 04:32 AM

Yep you just have to know initial and total timing first.
Posted By: forphorty

Re: Timing or carb? - 11/28/16 04:34 AM

One time I got some bad gas and ever since I've been real leery of putting gas in my car. smirk put a timing light on it
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Timing or carb? - 11/28/16 05:21 AM

I'd check out the AP squirt (amt/duration) & set the timing at 15 on ported for a good start (note (& post) what it is now when you check/set it)
© 2024 Moparts Forums