Moparts

Easier way to remove center steering link?

Posted By: 70satelliteguy

Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/22/16 10:06 PM

I am using a pickle fork. Drivers side easily comes out with a few hits but the passengers side is a PITA. Am I missing something? I have been pounding on it from different angles for awhile with no luck.
Thanks Mike
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/22/16 10:19 PM

Try this. If you have room, back it up with another heavy hammer.

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/22/16 11:39 PM

Thanks will try!!
Mike
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 01:14 AM

The key to the pickle fork method or even hammer onto knuckle method. The piece you are hitting must be solid or held solid. If not all the force from the hammer goes into moving the fork instead of driving it in.

Just like hammering a nail into wood. If the wood is not on something solid, like you are holding it. The nail will not drive in.
Posted By: skicker

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 02:42 AM

Sometimes it easier to just unbolt the idler arm and separate them on the floor. twocents
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 03:46 AM

Using the correct tool helps a ton. All you have to do is tighten the jaws with a wrench and then pop it lightly with a hammer and it breaks free.
Posted By: Sport440

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 04:16 AM

Originally Posted By John_Kunkel

That's the method I use, taught by older mechanics. So simple and works so well.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 04:32 AM

I use a puller... a simple tool with screw and pull arms. I have a couple sizes. From memory, the one that works on that joint is an AZ sourced generic tool. Set it up, put some pressure on the puller and if that does not do it, a light hit with a hammer always does. Even on ancient joints. Leave the nut on loose to catch the parts when they pop.

The trick is to pick the puller so it can fit, put pressure on the joint and not tear up the boot.

A pickle fork almost always works... but with collateral damage. No thanks!
Posted By: AndyF

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 06:33 AM

Agree. The pickle fork is only for wrecking yard use where you don't care what you damage. If you are working on your own car then use the correct tool.
Posted By: mopars_1

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 07:27 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

That's the method I use, taught by older mechanics. So simple and works so well.

Only way to do it imo
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 07:30 AM

Harbor freight ball joint separator. Load it up and just tap it with a hammer.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 03:35 PM

Originally Posted By GoodysGotaCuda
Harbor freight ball joint separator. Load it up and just tap it with a hammer.

Yep, if the hammer alone doesn't do it this does and no damage.
Posted By: GomangoCuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 03:50 PM

I use my pickle fork when my garage door sticks. Not good for anything else.

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/23/16 05:31 PM

I do have a small puller and a good Hammer. Will let you know which one does the trick!
Thanks Mike

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 12:24 AM

Originally Posted By 70satelliteguy
I do have a small puller and a good Hammer. Will let you know which one does the trick!
Thanks Mike

Use the combination, create tension with the puller, then hit with the hammer. It will come out. up
Posted By: feets

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 12:46 AM

Throw the pickle fork in the junk metal pile.

Get one of these pullers.

Turn the bolt until you think it won't take any more and whack the link as close as possible to the joint. It'll pop right off.
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 02:48 AM

Originally Posted By feets

Turn the bolt until you think it won't take any more and whack the link as close as possible to the joint. It'll pop right off.

I agree with tossing the fork in the trash, but get a SET of pullers in as many sizes as possible and do as Feets says.
It's the right way!
Posted By: A990

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 02:51 AM

Originally Posted By Sport440

Yep, been using this method for years. It even works on the upper ball joint, especially if you leave tension on the torsion bar to assist (just be sure to leave on the castle nut).

Get that puller too, it really works well.

The pickle fork makes a good door stop/wedge and kindling splitter.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 04:48 AM

Originally Posted By Pacnorthcuda

I agree with tossing the fork in the trash, but get a SET of pullers in as many sizes as possible and do as Feets says.
It's the right way!

HF has a multi size set for as good price. Has worked for all my needs. Teeth that grip the item you are attempting to pul could be a bit thinner, but has yet to fail me.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 04:58 AM

Agreed, a HF one & trim the jaws slightly as/if needed for a dead on grip/fit & as said put some tension on with that & hit both sides at the same time with good sized hammers. Any issue as was said I pull the whole assy & get it on the bench for a less damaging breakdown. Hammers are always my last resort but are needed on occaision
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 05:10 AM

The pictured puller Is for a pitman arm. Look closely at the center bolt, it has a point on it to center it on the steering shaft. That point will walk off the side of the flat end of a tie rod. You will have to grind off the point. Check the width of the jaws first. They are too wide for Mopar tie rods.
Posted By: ek3

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 05:24 AM

use the hammer ..... gotta have a strong arm for some of them !!
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 04:39 PM

I wonder how the OP faired?
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/24/16 08:16 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
The pictured puller Is for a pitman arm. Look closely at the center bolt, it has a point on it to center it on the steering shaft. That point will walk off the side of the flat end of a tie rod.

They make a similar tool for tie rod ends but I've had mixed results with them. If the rod end is really tight they will flex too much and even the blunt end tends to walk off to the side.

Attached picture Tie Rod Tool.jpg

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/25/16 07:36 AM

Originally Posted By Supercuda
I wonder how the OP faired?

I'm sure its off by now, with the given advice. up
Posted By: GoodysGotaCuda

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/25/16 03:13 PM

I see your puller and raise you this one. Hands down a much better design. Load up the puller in decent tension and if it doesn't let loose, a tap with a hammer will get it. I've used this one hundreds of times.

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-4-quarter-inch-forged-ball-joint-separator-99849.html

Attached picture Screen Shot 2016-11-25 at 7.11.53 AM.png
Posted By: feets

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/25/16 04:21 PM

Originally Posted By NANKET
The pictured puller Is for a pitman arm. Look closely at the center bolt, it has a point on it to center it on the steering shaft. That point will walk off the side of the flat end of a tie rod. You will have to grind off the point. Check the width of the jaws first. They are too wide for Mopar tie rods.

Someone forgot to tell my center links about those problems. It popped 'em right off.

When I'm using one of these tools I generally spin the nut off, flip it over, and spin it most of the way back on. That helps keep the pieces contained when they pop.

Most joints will have a center point cut into them as a byproduct of manufacturing. The tool will line up nicely on them.

I have both the tie rod end pulled and the pitman arm puller. They work well for drag links and the occasional ball joint too.

Re: Easier way to remove center steering link? - 11/25/16 05:15 PM

Sorry for the late reply,Thanksgiving and all. I got it off finally by beating with a hammer and wedging a large screwdriver between steering link and pit-man arm.The pickle fork did not do the trick. I will however go to my local Harbor Freight and get some kind of puller as this held me up for a day.
Thanks Mike
© 2024 Moparts Forums