Moparts

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge!

Posted By: TASummers

Inaccurate Fuel Gauge! - 11/07/16 04:35 AM

Hey guys,

Finally got my '64 Belvedere on the road (and strip) this summer. For the first few months, the gas gauge worked perfectly with a normal needle sweep. Then one day, a full tank began showing as "half tank" on the gauge - the needle straight down. From that "half tank" position, the needle seems to sweep normally to the left as I burn fuel. A true half-full tank of fuel shows the needle on "E", and an empty tank will place the needle to about the 8 o'clock position, far beyond and above the "E".

I have noticed that when filling the tank, the needle moves from the left to the right normally until it gets near the half tank mark - then the needle begins to jump and skip. The car has a new tank and sending unit.

Any ideas? And thanks ahead of time!
Posted By: MoparPosterChild

Re: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge! - 11/07/16 05:05 AM

Sending unit?
Posted By: denfireguy

Re: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge! - 11/07/16 05:20 AM

Sending unit or ground. Check the metal piece that couples the gas tank outlet to the metal fuel line. May not be making good contact anymore.
Craig
Posted By: TJP

Re: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge! - 11/07/16 04:55 PM

Float is leaky causing it to be heavy, or as previously mentioned,bad ground, or bad rheostat on sending unit.

beer
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Inaccurate Fuel Gauge! - 11/07/16 09:42 PM

I would confirm the ground is good with a jumper all the way up front to the batt neg post (get the gauge in the offending area & see if this ground wire changes things) but with it only acting up half the time it & appearing to be good the rest of the time it sure sounds as said like a rheostat winding prob (& sender needs to come out). First I would ohm it tho at several positions just to see what you get
© 2024 Moparts Forums