Moparts

Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer?

Posted By: IMGTX

Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 01:37 AM

Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul car hauler?

Pretty much sums it up. If not then will a Ryder or other brand rental trailer work?

My son is coming back from CO with a new toy.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 01:39 AM

Why not just disconnect the driveshaft and use a Uhaul dolly?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 02:10 AM

I've towed two D100 longbeds, a 1964 and a 1971, on the Uhaul auto transport car hauler trailer. They aren't rated for that kind of load but they work. I also hauled a Toyota FJ40 which was kind of interesting because it was running 12.50 x 15 tires.

The last time I hauled a pickup the Uhaul guy wouldn't rent me a dolly to tow a RWD car, said it was a new company policy.

Oh, yes, I also towed a 1932 Ford V8 pickup on a Uhaul trailer but that was cake!

R.
Posted By: Challenger 1

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 02:42 AM

I am pretty sure you can with lots of hangover in the rear. Whether they approve of that combo...I have no idea. Best to call them and be up front with them about it.
After all it sounds like your Son is going to be hauling the car. up
Posted By: Alaskan_TA

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 02:48 AM

Dolly fenders & wide full size car fenders do not agree on some turns.

Trailer for sure if it can not be driven, or dolly & remove the front fenders if it is a project.

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 03:04 AM

Cool info.

Thanks.

I was afraid it wouldn't fit between the fenders.

It runs but smokes and 18 hours in a 440 car that hasn't been driven actively in no telling how many years makes us nervous.

up
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 04:18 AM

If you do don't try and load at the u-haul facility. They get all bent out of shape on overloading their trailers. I hauled a Jeep J-10 PU on one with no problems.

i forgot to ad, they don't put the best tires on those trailers so it may be prudent to keep the speeds down when hauling.
Posted By: Brian_wo

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 04:37 AM

I bet it would really hang off the end,I just did this Sunday with a 67 Belvedere and it hung off the back,the upside is that it pulled great down the interstate at 70mph

Attached picture Image.jpg
Posted By: ahy

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 01:48 PM

You can go on the Uhaul website and check out the combo. It may well be "approved". The Uhaul trailer can handle the weight fine... balance meaning getting enough tongue weight for safety might be a concern. Probably OK with the 440 up front.

If you can pull the trailer out empty, there is another option. An equipment trailer from Sunbelt rental or similar. I have used these for heavy long pickups. 10k lb rated, tilt bed and surge brakes. Last time I rented one it was about $60/day. I made around 1,400 miles with a 5,500 lb Power Wagon on one of those w/o issue. Good idea to beg or borrow a spare tire when travelling far.
Posted By: bboogieart

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 01:52 PM

WOW!
That 67 B body barely fit.
I would get my answer from a tape measure.
A 70 C body will be quit bit longer.
Posted By: Shoozy

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 02:46 PM

I know that a '72 Plymouth b-body is NOT on their approved list due to being "too large". This as of 6 months ago. I would suggest telling them you're hauling something akin to a dart, not a barge. twocents
Posted By: DrCharles

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 03:59 PM

I'm surprised no one has mentioned the potential liability issues... if you have an accident, especially a "loss of control" with the trailer, and knowingly overloaded the trailer, your insurance may not cover you. I wouldn't take the chance, but then again I'm not rich enough to self-insure. work
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 06:44 PM

You might try U ship or the moparts shipping page, someone might transport it for not much more than the cost of the rental and fuel.
Posted By: Kern Dog

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 07:06 PM

The management at the local U-Haul outlets are a little odd. Each time I called to ask about an "car dolly or car trailer" they corrected me by calling it an "Auto Transport". I'd call it a trailer again and they would respond by calling it an AUTO TRANSPORT right back as if they were a brainwashed drone/robot. Nobody else calls a trailer an auto transport around here. It reminded me of the numerous things that the Army "renamed".

Pushup position: Front lean and rest.
Bathroom: Latrine.
Back pack: Alice Pack.
Jumping Jack Side straddle hop.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 09:53 PM

Originally Posted By bboogieart
WOW!
That 67 B body barely fit.
I would get my answer from a tape measure.
A 70 C body will be quit bit longer.

I hauled B bodies and E bodies on U Haul trailers, B are too long, E's too wide, both cars barely fit on a U haul std trailer, I've had 69-71 C bodies, they are WIDE and LONG! longer than a 10X20 storage unit DAMHIK...The OP is going to need either a larger trailer or have it hauled

I've used ABF freight to transport project cars around the country, use a roll back/flatbed to load or unload the tractor trailer body during shipping, cost from east coast to midwest would run me about $500-$600, eastcoast to westcoast about $1500+ door to door
Posted By: roe

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 10:04 PM

I used one to tow my sig car, 71 B body 4dr. A big car but still smaller than yours. Loaded up just fine and towed great behind a 2013 V6 Durango. Steed right at 70 the whole trip. Crept up to 75 a couple of time not paying attention, no difference in how it felt.
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/05/16 11:08 PM

With a short wheelbase tow vehicle on a trailer with overhang you can get in trouble real quick.

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/06/16 02:00 AM

Even with the overhang on the 67 that trailer was one of the best I have ever pulled,straight as an arrow.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/06/16 02:39 AM

Quote:
[/quote]Even with the overhang on the 67 that trailer was one of the best I have ever pulled,straight as an arrow.[quote]

Your badass dually is really hard to overload. It just don't give a crap, ask me how I know...

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/06/16 02:51 AM

Yeah the pulling aspect of the trip was a non issue,the 6.7 with the DPF delete and the EGR tuned out is a beast.
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/06/16 05:02 AM

It's not just the power, did you ever see that frame twist test they did between a Dodge and a Ford dually? The Dodge with it's wheelbase and frame/suspension package is unbeatable in the stability department. Best dually EVER! So I guess my answer to the OP would be, if you have a Dodge dually? Pretty much haul whatever you want.

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/10/16 05:44 PM

Thanks guys.

He is going to rent a u-haul box truck to pull it with since he has no truck.

I'll make sure he gets a good size box.
Posted By: it's Bob

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/10/16 08:04 PM

Might be a bit late to the party but here is my experiences w/a U-Haul auto transport trailer and C bodies. First of all they will not rent to you if you tell them you are putting a 1969-1978 C body on one. I usually tell them I'd loading a 1985 Dippy/5th Ave/Ply.Grand Fury and they are happy.

They fit but just barely. C's will have about 4 or 5 inches of trailer deck left behind the rear tires with the front tires all the way forward against the stop block. Massive overhang front and rear and really, really heavy tongue weight. 3/4 ton truck did ok, no sway but a 1/2 ton might want to keep the speed down or rent/buy load levelers to help. As to the overhang on the front, didn't cause any issues with the tailgate or bed corners in turns but I was watching and tried not to do any minimum radius turns. Aft overhang...well you could just about park a subcompact car under it if you wanted. It would be very ugly (for both of you) if someone was tailgating you and didn't get stopped in time. Also keep a look out the opposite side mirror to see where the tail end of the car is going when you make a turn to keep from clipping something, pole, sign, person, gas pump, with the outside rear corner of the car.

I have carried two Imperials on U-Haul trailers.......not fun and would not recommend for long distance. The extra 3 inches of wheel base uses up just about all the deck space, had to deflate the front tires some to get the car far enough forward to get something attached to the rear tie down rings. The additional weight of the Imperial is very noticeable and maxes out the front axle/springs/tires.
Posted By: 6bblgt

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/10/16 08:24 PM

have it shipped, renting a box truck & trailer to haul it is not going to be cost effective with rental fees, ~$.59 a mile shruggy and fuel (round trip or one-way?)

unless he's moving a bunch of other stuff with it
Posted By: Erik

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/10/16 09:48 PM

Here is a pic of my Challenger on the U-Haul trailer I used. The car was definitely not too wide for the trailer, and it was an approved combo by U-Haul. I think a C-body would be OK - just hanging off the back a little.

Posted By: polara71

Re: Can you fit a 70 Chrysler 300 Vert on a Uhaul trailer? - 11/20/16 03:41 AM

It will fit ... Ive hauled several 70/71 C bodies on a U Haul trailer. They wont let you haul a C on there so tell them a 1970 Dodge dart with a slant 6.
The furthest I hauled was from Jersey to Missouri empty and back loaded..
© 2024 Moparts Forums