Moparts

Alternator not charging

Posted By: dmckeehan

Alternator not charging - 10/23/16 08:48 PM

1984 W150 360. Truck was swapped over to a 93 model Nippendenso style alternator 1 year ago. Truck was charging fine. Feed line from alternator to battery shorted on intake, and melted cable, and shorted battery. Replaced battery, replaced feed cable from alternator to battery and new ground cable from alternator to block. Now it is a no charge situation. New alternator, no help, had it tested, tested good. Changed voltage regulator from running truck, no help. changed plug for voltage regulator, no help. Now for the testing. checked battery post to battery case, no voltage leakage internal in battery. Positive charging stud to positive post is about .21 volts, within the specs. Alternator to negative post, .15 volts, within the specs that I have seen. Voltage regulator to negative post, .10 volts, again, within the specs that i've seen.

Checked battery voltage to voltage regulator, solid battery voltage to voltage regulator. battery voltage on both field wires on alternator with key on.

I'm lost, anything else to check?
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/23/16 09:08 PM

something is wired wrong.
both field lines should not have battery voltage.
the 1 from the vr should read something less. like 2 volts or so depending on sensing line voltage.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/23/16 09:14 PM

Sounds like the green wire between the alternator field terminal and the VR is open.

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/23/16 10:33 PM

Ok, I'm going to check the green wire, and the connection pack for the field wires. Maybe when it shorted, it caused a short in that connection pack
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/23/16 10:46 PM

What Supercuda said, pull the green wire connector off of its alt male field brass terminal & with some jumpers with alligator clips jump that alt male field terminal (not the wire you pulled off of it) to ground with eng at a fast idle & see if it charges. do this for several seconds only, just long enough to take a reading on the meter & do have all lights/accessories off.

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/24/16 12:33 AM

Will do this evening
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/24/16 05:52 PM

I have also seen where the triangular plug at the VR is an issue. Sometimes the sockets int he plug open up a bit and make poor, or no, contact with the terminals on the VR itself. A squeeze with needle nose pliers usually fixes that.

Re: Alternator not charging - 10/25/16 02:08 AM

I've had the problem with the triangle plug before too, actually bought a new plug, and installed it trying to figure this out. New one fit tight on the connectors.

Got a few other things around the house this week, will get back on this project this weekend. thanks for the help guys!
© 2024 Moparts Forums