Moparts

Old ignition switch

Posted By: bentwheel43

Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 06:36 PM

I guess my ignition switch went out, when its on crank it starts and when I let the key go it kills. Its on a 1966 Satillite where would I get a new one?
Posted By: OzHemi

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 06:45 PM

Sounds like a ballast resister, have to tried that first ?
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 06:53 PM

Originally Posted By OzHemi
Sounds like a ballast resister, have to tried that first ?
iagree scope
You can verify two things by using a volt ohm meter on the ballast resitor, one is the resitor and the other is the ignition switch and wiring by having someone else put the tranny in any gear other than nuetral or park and turn the key to the start position while you put the volt meter leads on both ends of the ballast resitor to see if you have voltage or not. You should see voltage on one end but not both scope If you have that then have the other person release the ignition switch to the run position and see if you have voltage on both ends of the resitor, you shuold have 12+ volts on one end and less volts on the othor end going to the coil + side in the run position scope
Let us konw what you find please, that may help others on here later luckwork
Posted By: 1E2C

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 06:54 PM

Yep, start with the cheaper and easier fix. And if you have a multimeter you can check it first.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 07:24 PM

Bad connection at either bulkhead or ignition switch to under dash wiring harness.

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 07:55 PM

it had a MSD-6al with a accel super coil no points. When I took the resistor off it had rust on the ground, that just may have been the ground wire someone put under the resistor.

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/13/16 08:17 PM

Well when I cleaned the rust off and put the resistor back on it cranked right up, good thing I didn't go buy a new switch it looked like it would be hard to change with my big hand. Thanks a lot fellas.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/14/16 12:28 AM

the ballast ain't grounded so it sounds like you just had a loose connection, one of the ones that you were dealing with in working on this issue. All good now & if it acts up again just check your connections in the blue wire (ign1 "run") circuit
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Old ignition switch - 10/14/16 02:47 AM

Corrosion is a good insulator and causes many problems with electrical cicuits in cars and every thing else using electricity including airplanes shruggy
It pays to trouble shoot the problem first before replacing partsup
© 2024 Moparts Forums