Moparts

leaf springs

Posted By: Alexdodge

leaf springs - 10/11/16 12:59 AM

Anywhere near or around pittsburgh that is a good place to get new leaf springs for a 62 dodge polara?
Posted By: ahy

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 01:40 AM

It would not hurt to check at a local spring shop or two. I have been surprised what my local shop can get and handle. New springs for a '78 Ford PU, modification of my Challenger springs and rebuild springs for a '47 PW for example.

That said, most folks seem to have best luck ordering from ESPO or "Springs and Things" as it is called.
Posted By: kentj340

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 05:22 AM

Before replacing your springs with new ones, you might be happy with one more leaf added to each side. Any 2-1/2" wide leaf of appropriate thickness and length will work.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 07:57 AM

Just beware that the local spring shop does not mistaken you for their most popular customer. Which is an overloaded 1/2 ton truck needing a stronger spring pack jacked up like a monster truck.
Posted By: therocks

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 03:57 PM

Try Emch Spring in Youngstown Ohio.When I got my 57 they had springs in syock.Cost 100 each.They can make or rearch your springs also.Dealt with them for decades but havent bought anything in about 10 years.They rearched my kids springs and when he sold the 62 they were still better than new after 12 years.Rocky
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 05:39 PM

You might see what they want just to rearch the 2 main leafs. you can C clamp the spring aways back from the center bolt on each side of it then remove the nut then evenly undo the clamps & save yourself some labor & as said adding a leaf is doable. I like to remove the nut with a nut cracker if it is tight rather than risk breaking the special bolt tho the spring shop would carry them. just for reference before starting I would jack up the rear & with your tape see how many inches of increased height you are after. If you go with new springs I would get 1" over stock height. EDIT if adding a leaf you may need center bolts with more threads
Posted By: therocks

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 07:05 PM

The bolt is nothing.Any spring shop will have them.NAPA even had them the last time I did a set.Rocky
Posted By: Alexdodge

Re: leaf springs - 10/11/16 10:41 PM

Actually, being that I'm doing a full restoration I just canned the old ones.
Posted By: ahy

Re: leaf springs - 10/13/16 02:23 AM

Youngstown and Pittsburgh are probably spring shop capital cities of the country. I lived and ran a truck in that area some years ago when surrounding roads were among the worst in the country.

Thankfully the roads are much improved now.

Anyhow, on more than one occasion I have rolled into a Youngstown spring shop with a hurting tandem dump with multiple cracked leafs and rolled out less than two hours later with fully rebuilt springs. Heavy hoist around the rear of the truck, lift the wheels clear of the floor and have at it. It was amazing to me how they handled it. They shuffled spring packs like a deck of cards. A good shot of grease in the new bushings and back out the door.

I hope you have the same experience with your project.
© 2024 Moparts Forums