Moparts

Pulsing Vibration

Posted By: 6T9Hemi

Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 02:35 AM

My car is making a pulsing vibration under steady acceleration in drive only. Does not do it in 1st or 2nd. 340 with torqueflite. Not there when coasting, only under acceleration and only in Drive. Could it be the torque convertor or driveshaft out of balance? This is a good one.? ? ? ?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 02:56 AM

same load (in hg) for the steady accelleration in all gears but acting up in Drive only? Everything as far as you know is the same? WAG, slight fuel starvation. EDIT or tire/wheel balance/wheel bearing issue, loose etc
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 03:07 AM

Do you feel it in your hands or your butt?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 03:10 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy

eek

TMI
TMI
TMI
TMI
TMI

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy
My tire man asked me that when I was tracking down a vibration. turned out to be a front ujoint getting ready to let go (& it did)
Posted By: StealthWedge67

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 04:49 AM

Has the rear suspension been updated or altered in any way? Incorrect pinion angle will cause a harmonic (pulsing) vibration if the u-joints are not properly phased.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 05:02 AM

Hands = front end, steering etc. Butt = drive line or rear wheel area.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 05:14 AM

Butt. It's like I'm sitting on top of the vibration. I already replaced U joints.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 07:37 AM

too much shaft end play causing not enough front yoke spline engagement in the trans (I had that causing a vibration for me once). worn extension housing bushing. worn trans mount. throwing out potentials.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 02:25 PM

What is the correct length for the driveshaft in a 69 GTS 340 auto?

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 05:56 PM

The best way to check the length of the shaft is to push in into the trans until it bottoms out and then measure the distance to seat the U joint in the rear end yoke. That shouldn't be more than 1.5"

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 06:18 PM

What Stump said, you may be OK on that dimention as is. (have it loaded)

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 07:45 PM

Is there any way that it could be the torque convertor balance? You are basically at a 1 to 1 ratio in drive. Could I be feeling an out of balance convertor in drive where the vibration is lost in first and second.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 07:52 PM

I think any converter imbalance would be felt more in neutral and worse at higher RPM. Have you checked the trans mount etc?
Posted By: crash520

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 09:17 PM

Just for giggles, drop the belts off your engine, I swore I had a converter or drive line issue, was the alternator!
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 09:20 PM

Convertor out of balance will be out of balance in all gears ... and in neutral .... moving or standing still ...
Posted By: Centerline

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/05/16 11:30 PM

If it wasn't acting up before you had the "U" joints replaced, THAT is the first place to look and most likely culprit provided that nothing else was messed with.
Posted By: Ronnman

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/08/16 04:07 PM

Check/replace the transmission to cross member mount. A bad mount/worn rubber will drive you crazy chasing other components for vibration problems.
Ron
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/08/16 05:35 PM

flex plate cracked?
Posted By: Dave Hall

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/08/16 09:33 PM

What's the verdict? drinking
Posted By: 6PKRTSE

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/09/16 04:46 AM

My car did that vibration a while back was worse in drive also. Real bad at 65 mph+. Eventually, rebuilt my 440 sixpack due to other reasons. Replaced 35+ year old at that time damper with a new Pioneer damper. All vibration is no gone. Rubber was shot in the old damper.

Re: Pulsing Vibration - 10/22/16 10:20 PM

Well, pulled the 3200 stall convertor out and replaced it with a stock convertor and the vibration is gone. Car accelerates better and all around improvement.
© 2024 Moparts Forums