Moparts

those running TTI exhaust on their darts??

Posted By: abodyjoe

those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 03:28 AM

any of ya running turn downs instead of chrome tips? any pictures?? i have turn downs and feel they stick out way too far.. i think they look stupid..

Posted By: hosehead

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 04:20 AM

My car is waiting for paint but I have the whole system sitting in a box. I purchased the system from Bob Mazzolini racing. His son has a 70 dart that had the TTI exhaust on it as well. They hated the turn downs so much that they cut the tail pipes back and installed tips. I intend to do the same. I don't have pics but he showed me a pic of his sons car and it looked the same as yours. Not sure why they make them so long?
Posted By: BDW

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 04:52 AM

Why don't you cut off the end, take it to muffler shop and have them expand it, then you can trim section off the remains part under car and slip the turn down on, sorta like a tip.

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 09:26 AM

Originally Posted By cnxt
Why don't you cut off the end, take it to muffler shop and have them expand it, then you can trim section off the remains part under car and slip the turn down on, sorta like a tip.

i probably will.. i'm still in the middle of the engine swap. was just wondering if this was how they all came or maybe mine was a mistake.
Posted By: Copper Dart

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 11:43 AM

ok ill bite, since you chose the non-factory tipped look (i did too) the slash/diagonal cut would not have been my choice.
the single pipe slash looks oem for many cars to me. i like the chrome tips too but they are kinda hokie.
that tough, high horsepower and menacing look (to me) has to be square cut turndowns and dont hide them too much too.
ill post a side shot for you later in my ( ricky's cha-ching-cheapo) build. twocents
yes, i do know what is said about opinions wink
copper

Attached picture DSCN3164.JPG
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 02:56 PM

I bought TTi tailpipes for my 69 , HUGE waste of money , they didn't even remotely fit in the factory location , I had the shop that made my headpipes cut and reweld them to get them to fit in the stock location ... that may not matter on your car Joe ? you could always do as mentioned and have the pipes shortened ?
Posted By: burdar

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 03:39 PM

The tail pipes are probably designed to fit the lower bumper location of the 67-69s. They do look like they are sticking out too far since the 70 had the bumper up a lot higher.
Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 03:48 PM

I hope my TTI front pipes fit I just ordered some, every other part I got from them fit well.

I do agree Joe those pipes stick out too far, bummer but easily fixed.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/09/16 09:08 PM

I have never has a TTI system fit worth a darn.

The turndowns are to far out. You probably need to cut down part of the exhaust further back. I had to do this on a Summit 3" system I bought for one of my Challengers, it fit far better than the TTI systems I have installed.

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By Copper Dart
ok ill bite, since you chose the non-factory tipped look (i did too) the slash/diagonal cut would not have been my choice.
the single pipe slash looks oem for many cars to me. i like the chrome tips too but they are kinda hokie.
that tough, high horsepower and menacing look (to me) has to be square cut turndowns and dont hide them too much too.
ill post a side shot for you later in my ( ricky's cha-ching-cheapo) build. twocents
yes, i do know what is said about opinions wink
copper

yea the chrome tips would look too fancy for this car.. its more bare bones looking... i like the tail pipes on your car.. i'll juts cut mine back and get them closer to tucking under the valance.

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 02:38 AM

Originally Posted By burdar
The tail pipes are probably designed to fit the lower bumper location of the 67-69s. They do look like they are sticking out too far since the 70 had the bumper up a lot higher.

yea thats what i was thinking,, box says 67-76 i think..

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 02:40 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
I bought TTi tailpipes for my 69 , HUGE waste of money , they didn't even remotely fit in the factory location , I had the shop that made my headpipes cut and reweld them to get them to fit in the stock location ... that may not matter on your car Joe ? you could always do as mentioned and have the pipes shortened ?

yea the stock location didn't matter that much.. the exhaust guy i trusted and used for years doesn't do it any more. figured i'd go tti then to a local place that had hacks working for them..
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 03:23 AM

I bought the TTI exhaust for my 69 GTS but did not buy the tailpipes because I had NOS ones. The mufflers they sell had rear openings too big to I had to use reducers. The factory tailpipes are just 1-3/4".
Posted By: Neil

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 04:33 AM

FYI real 1970 340 tips are shorter than those found on other a-body cars so they tuck under better. Not nearly as visible as when people go with the 68-69 style.
Posted By: 383man

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 03:22 PM

This is the only pic I have of my buddies Scamp that has TTI headers and the full TTI 2.5" exh. Ron

Posted By: 67R/T4speeder

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 06:49 PM

Looks great there Ron
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/10/16 06:59 PM

I have those TTI pipes on my '70 340 dart. You can see them in this picture. I'm not a detail guy - so they don't bother me.

Attached picture 20141025_181029.jpg
Posted By: rarefish

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/11/16 03:41 PM

Originally Posted By Rhinodart
I bought the TTI exhaust for my 69 GTS but did not buy the tailpipes because I had NOS ones. The mufflers they sell had rear openings too big to I had to use reducers. The factory tailpipes are just 1-3/4".

I have thought that the factory tail pipes were 2-1/4" then reduced down to 2" in order to accept the 1-7/8" factory chrome tips.
Posted By: 383man

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/11/16 04:26 PM

I think thats right as these were factory chrome tips and they were right around 2" opening on them. May have been 1-7/8 but we have since changed the exh. Ron

Posted By: MuuMuu101

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/11/16 05:05 PM

I think those tips are more suited for the 67-69 Darts where the bumper is perpendicular to the floor. As you can see on yours the rear valence or bumper slants toward the car the close you get to the floor.
Posted By: 1Fast340

Re: those running TTI exhaust on their darts?? - 09/25/16 11:06 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR

Did you fully expect a set of tailpipes from one manufacturer to fit any other guys headpipe/muffler location/angle ?

Back on topic,those tailpipes are made to fit a big variety of Abody cars and i must say i prefer a set of tailpipes being alitle to long compared to them being alitle to short for a whole bunch of reasons.
© 2024 Moparts Forums