Moparts

New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary!

Posted By: Hooligan

New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 06:59 PM

Well, I have brand new Edelbrock 4 barrel carb. #1813S 4077. It is a copy of the Carter AVS. It's the weekend, so I can't call Edelbrock.

Anyway, the driver side mixture screw offers zero change to the engine idle when I adjust it. I even took it all the way out, and nothing happened. The passenger side mixture makes changes when I adjust it, and the engine idles and runs terrific. The throttle blades are definitely in the correct relation to the transfer slots. I poked a needle in the hole with the mixture screw out and it didn't feel plugged. The metering rod looks fine too.

Even though it runs great, I'm curious as to why I can't get any adjustment out of it.
Posted By: HemiRick

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:01 PM

That side of the idle circuit is probably clogged up....
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:08 PM

get a can of brake kleen or something similar with the thin red straw & give that port a healthy blast & see if that cleans things up

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:08 PM

Originally Posted By HemiRick
That side of the idle circuit is probably clogged up....

Do you think I should blow some compressed air through the mixture screw hole?

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:11 PM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
get a can of brake kleen or something similar with the thin red straw & give that port a healthy blast & see if that cleans things up

Thanks. I'll give that one a go as soon as I can go buy a can. The cabinets are bare.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:17 PM

holler how it turns out & if no go we will continue on for a solution

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:21 PM

holler how it turns out & if no go we will continue on for a solution

OK, I will type out... "HELLLLLLLLLLP"!!!! if I need ya!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:35 PM

Alright sounds like a plan & FYI go easy on the CAPS as there is a young man in Grand Prairie Texas who keeps us in line! Me I like em as my eyesight is fading but I gotta go with the flow
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:47 PM

Alright sounds like a plan & FYI go easy on the CAPS as there is a young man in Grand Prairie Texas who keeps us in line! Me I like em as my eyesight is fading but I gotta go with the flow

CTRL + or CTRL - will zoom in and out for you.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 07:50 PM

No problem. I will lay off the caps, but instead I will press very hard on the keys. I guess I can omit the exclamation points too, so I keep under the Texas radar system.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 08:09 PM

Quote:
CTRL + or CTRL - will zoom in and out for you.
Noted! EDIT By God that works perfect

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/27/16 08:50 PM

i'm so glad that my problem turned out to be a way to fix rapid robert's visual problem. i hate to think how long he was dealing wit it. ya see... i didn't use any caps! (oops. i used an exclamation point.) DANG IT!!!!!!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 01:56 AM

How is the carburetor doing?

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:10 AM

Crap! I fell asleep. No progress will happen until I buy some brake kleen tomorrow. Unless my neighbor has some in his garage, in which case, I have to wait for him to fall asleep so I can steal it. Hah!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:32 AM

Robert, Should I steal... er-uh, buy carburetor cleaner instead of brake kleen???

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:48 AM

any type of spray cleaner with the thin red straw will work to get up into that port. BK or starting fluid, anything along those lines

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 03:01 AM

any type of spray cleaner with the thin red straw will work to get up into that port. BK or starting fluid, anything along those lines

OK, cool. By this time tomorrow, my idle circuit will be fresh and clean at the very least.
If that doesn't solve the problem, I'll call Edelbrock on Monday. I'm sure they are just sitting around doing nothing.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 04:23 AM

calling them is not gonna take the carb apart and clean it.....

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 04:53 AM

Thanks for that observation. Actually, the phone call comes after the cleaning. It shouldn't be filthy inside since everything is brand new with under 100 miles on a newly rebuilt engine that is running great so far. New carb, new gas tank, new fuel lines, new fuel pump, and a new fuel filter. Not to say that some debris didn't get in the system during assembly, but we're not talking about a car that sat around without running for several years. It doesn't hurt to ask for their opinion, because they may have seen this problem before.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:40 PM

What I really wanted to say to Hemi Rick is... "I can't believe you logged in to Moparts to say that unnecessary comment to me." "Please forgave me, but I thought Moparts was for promoting friendship and unity among Mopar enthusiasts, sharing knowledge, and having some fun!" "Some of us are trying to help each other get more Mopars back on the road." "I'm sorry if maybe your dog took a dump inside one of your shoes and caused you to have a negative attitude, but I don't think that your kind of commentary in this case, which you are trying to make me look stupid, has any place in Moparts." "Several members use this type of behavior, and cause fights." "It's very saddening to read things like that." "If you can't say something friendly and helpful to others, then please don't say anything at all."

"Thank you to everyone else for your help and friendship!" ...and to anyone who has pets, remember to check your shoes before logging on!"
Posted By: Diplomat440

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:48 PM

He's right though....

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 02:55 PM

Originally Posted By Diplomat440
He's right though....

No he's not. That's absolutely ridiculous! I never said that I was going to call Edelbrock before I cleaned out the carb. Try reading the entire post!
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 03:04 PM

Don`t let some of the people here get to you. I think some of their goals are to piss as many people off as they can. I usually just ignore them.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 03:11 PM

Originally Posted By mopars4ever
Don`t let some of the people here get to you. I think some of their goals are to piss as many people off as they can. I usually just ignore them.

Great advise! I'll use it from now on. Shame on them! Oops... from now on. (LOL)Thanks for your support!
Posted By: moparx

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 04:00 PM

Originally Posted By Hooligan

Great advise! I'll use it from now on. Shame on them! Oops... from now on. (LOL)Thanks for your support!

HE,HE ! go over to the general section and see the CHILDREN acting up on the current events posts for your total entertainment package. stirthepot
beer
Posted By: minivan

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 06:18 PM

Originally Posted By moparx

HE,HE ! go over to the general section and see the CHILDREN acting up on the current events posts for your total entertainment package. stirthepot
beer

And here is your proof......

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 06:38 PM

Youre entirely over reacting to a factual post....I was not trying to make you look stupid and any other goal....I truely didn't see the usefulness in calling them.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 07:11 PM

Youre entirely over reacting to a factual post....I was not trying to make you look stupid and any other goal....I truely didn't see the usefulness in calling them.

Just the same, I didn't see the usefulness of your comment. No matter how you slice it, you didn't help me nor anyone else who might be trying to learn from the other wonderful members. Your comment was absolutely uncalled for.
Gee, um, Edelbrock made the carburetor, maybe they'd know how to address the situation if cleaning it fails to correct the issue, or maybe they will think that I am over reacting. BTW... I'm not stupid. I have an IQ of 823! Oh wait! That's my credit score.

Oh well. I'm over it now, and I apologized for some of the words that I used due to my exasperation.
Posted By: feets

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 07:30 PM

Meanwhile, did you get the carb fixed?
Posted By: TJP

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 07:33 PM

Back on topic,
is there any chance of a small vacuum leak on the intake runners that side of the carb feeds. That could cause the symptoms you describe, twocents

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 09:05 PM

Just blasting carb cleaner thru the idle screw rarely fixes anything in my experience. You implied thats all you were gonna do before you called them...I was implying that you need to take it apart, not just blast it, before you called. How is this not helpful? Please quit reading between the lines for an ulterior motive that isnt there.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 09:09 PM

Are we still talking about this with nothing being done??? Must be a Milennial texting..... LOL

Attached picture Clint Eastwood pussies.jpg

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/28/16 09:37 PM

I have fixed several no idle/poor idle situations with a healthy 2 or 3 second blast into those idle ports, Eddys tho if that makes a difference as that is all I have worked on. Hooligan I am with you on this rudeness issue as there are several people who go to far with it (& the mods should be stepping in) as opposed to offering solutions which is what we are here for. It does force a person to develop thick skin/set boundaries when needed. I will say tho that the bennie far outweighs the bad as the collective knowledge/experience here on Moparts is astronomical
Posted By: TJP

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/29/16 03:42 AM

Originally Posted By TJP
Back on topic,
is there any chance of a small vacuum leak on the intake runners that side of the carb feeds. That could cause the symptoms you describe, twocents

HMM, Nuff said as all are still focused on the whistling

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/29/16 05:46 AM

Hooligan, get a can of spray with the red straw, steal your neighbors if you have to
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/29/16 07:35 PM

Requirement to graduate from today's institutions of higher learning with strong promotion from the media and politicos.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/29/16 11:55 PM

I have fixed several no idle/poor idle situations with a healthy 2 or 3 second blast into those idle ports, Eddys tho if that makes a difference as that is all I have worked on. Hooligan I am with you on this rudeness issue as there are several people who go to far with it (& the mods should be stepping in) as opposed to offering solutions which is what we are here for. It does force a person to develop thick skin/set boundaries when needed. I will say tho that the bennie far outweighs the bad as the collective knowledge/experience here on Moparts is astronomical

Reply (Part 1)
Sorry for the disappearing act everyone. My mother was rushed to the hospital, and she is going to be fine. More good news is that my carburetor issue has been solved, and the fix is something that other members can possibly use.

(Part 2)
Rapid Robert, You are GREAT! Your reply was up-lifting and I really appreciate your help on my mixture screw problem, and your support on the rudeness issue on Moparts. Even though there are some "bad apples" among us, you are right in that Moparts is still a great place to enjoy our hobby. Thank you and all the other"good apples" who replied to my post.

(Part3)
When I returned from the hospital, I decided to call Edelbrock before I disassembled the carb. That decision turned out to be a good one because it saved me time. The tech guy said that only 2 things can cause that condition. (#1) A blocked air bleed, which requires blasting out the passages, as Rapid Robert suggested. (#2) A float level that is too high. He told me to start the car and look to see if any fuel was dripping from the venturi on that side. Indeed, that was the case with my carb, and the extra fuel is what keeps the mixture screw adjustment from having an effect on the engine's idle. So, I disassembled that carb to find that it was squeaky clean inside. I blasted both air bleeds to make sure they were clear, and I set the float level to the correct height. That solved the problem, and now the car is problem free for the time being. (He said with his fingers crossed)

(Part 4) Thank goodness that I didn't listen to Moparts member "HemiRick" He said that he truly didn't see the usefulness in calling Edelbrock. Well, he was wrong! He still contends that his snarky comment was him trying to help me. (Sorry, I'm not buying it. Additionally, my apology to him was ignored, so I hope he doesn't "TRY TO HELP ME" in the future.

(Part 4) This reply is for Moparts member "Minivan". I love Clint Eastwood! I cried when they killed him in the movie, "Gran Torino". You are hilarious Minivan! You should take your humor someplace where it MIGHT be appreciated!

Thanks again to everyone who wrote sincere replies! The drama reared its ugly head, but in the end... Hooligan shoots! He SCORRRRRRRRRES!!!!!!!!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/29/16 11:59 PM

Glad you got it worked out. up
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:14 AM

Could have sworn this is what Edelbrock suggested.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:24 AM

Quote:
you have been very helpful with your suggestions

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:28 AM

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr

You are hilarious too! The call to Edelbrock happened today, so show me where I said that cleaning the carb was senseless! The fix came from adjusting the float to the right height as told to me by the Edelbrock tech. Not by cleaning the carb. I blasted the passages for go measure. I was the only person who talked about calling Edelbrock. I posed the question to Moparts first because it has helped me in the past.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:29 AM

Glad you got it worked out. up

THANKS!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:30 AM

Quote:
you have been very helpful with your suggestions

I agree. Hah!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:47 AM

Man you are on fire! lets do this, open the top & put the floats back to where they were (flooding) & see if the issue returns. this will tell us which one was it. the tried and true procedure of ONE change at a time. Especially cuz only ONE screw was acting up. Sorry couldn't resist! RR

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 12:57 AM

Man you are on fire! lets do this, open the top & put the floats back to where they were (flooding) & see if the issue returns. this will tell us which one was it. the tried and true procedure of ONE change at a time. Especially cuz only ONE screw was acting up. Sorry couldn't resist! RR

Aw crap! Do I have to do it today? I'm worn out man! Ha-ha-ha!
Anyway, I'm still a fan of carburetors!
Thanks again Robert the Great! Stay tuned for my next maniacal Mopar repair adventure!
Posted By: crackedback

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 01:01 AM

F that...

If it's fixed, run it.

Edelbrocks are pretty sensitive to fuel pressure. They will leak out the boosters when they see about 5.5psi or above. I run them at 5 psi for a bit of margin. If it starts dripping again, check fuel pressure if you haven't already.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 01:12 AM

Originally Posted By crackedback
F that...

If it's fixed, run it.

Edelbrocks are pretty sensitive to fuel pressure. They will leak out the boosters when they see about 5.5psi or above. I run them at 5 psi for a bit of margin. If it starts dripping again, check fuel pressure if you haven't already.

That's it! I'm driving' this monster to infinity and beyond! Good to know about the fuel pressure though. Thanks!
In the past I used to rebuild my carbs with kits made by "Tomco". They replaced the seat and needle unit with a disc that seals great when it's seated and does not hang open if a spec of dirt flows by. I don't know if those kits are available anymore. Usually when I find something that works great, it gets discontinued!

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 02:35 AM

Quote:
Stay tuned for my next maniacal Mopar repair adventure!
I can hardly wait
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 03:26 AM

Wow.....some threads just kinda leave ya with your jaw hangin...

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 04:05 AM

Wait till his next quandary. Hooligan get a good nights' rest (you earned it) then get back after it tomorrow. put some lube on the bowl screws as they go into aluminum & need lube to preserve the threads in the bowl for after you go back in there tomorrow to reset the floats. The thread lubing is a good plan for frequent top removal for jet changes.

Re: New Edelbrock carb mixture screw quandary! - 08/30/16 04:45 PM

[quote=RapidRobert]

(Part 4) This reply is for Moparts member "Minivan". I love Clint Eastwood! I cried when they killed him in the movie, "Gran Torino". You are hilarious Minivan! You should take your humor someplace where it MIGHT be appreciated!

You mean its not appreciated on Moparts??? Oh the horror...

I do want to thank you for giving the fix and how you accomplished it.. Too many people state there probs on here and than we ( the readers) never get an answer, to possibly use the fix in our endeavors...

up
© 2024 Moparts Forums