Moparts

Centerforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed?

Posted By: ArcticCuda

Centerforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/23/16 04:28 PM

Which one is lighter but holds OK?

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=CDF1018

or

http://www.brewersperformance.com/proddetail.asp?prod=MC1018

Thanks for your opinion!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Centeforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/23/16 04:33 PM

I have always used McLeod but I think Centerforce is the lighter load
Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Centeforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/23/16 09:00 PM

I ran Zoom semi-metallic & Hays semi-metallic clutches for many, many years (sorry, never ran a McLeod). I had always read that the 3-finger "Borg & Beck" style clutches were much stronger than the "diaphragm" clutches (a lot of littler fingers) and I always went with the highest "static load" pressure plate I could find. That was back in the 1980's-1990's.

My car was off the road for many years and when I put it back together I went with a Hays 3-finger "street/strip" clutch like I always used to buy. I don't know if they're made in China these days or what, but it lasted all of 30 miles & ONE hard 1st-2nd shift and it blew up into so many pieces that it damaged my Lakewood scatter-shield.

I kept hearing about these "new" Centerforce clutches and I was skeptical since they're the "diaphragm" type.... but WOW! I have been very impressed with it so far. I haven't put slicks on the car or used the new nitrous system yet, but I've abused it pretty bad "motor only" and I like it. I did have to remove the over-center spring from behind the clutch pedal, which wasn't very difficult (2 hr. job tops). I heard that the pedal can stick to the floor at high rpm if you don't. I also noticed that the "static pressure" is MUCH lower which makes it very easy to drive. I remember with the old 3000-3400 lbs. Zoom/Hays pressure plates my left leg would be shaking because it was so tired if I had to stop/start in traffic....Centerforce does not have that problem.
Posted By: 2JcodeChargers

Re: Centeforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/24/16 04:12 AM

If your going to drive the car much, I think you'll like the center force clutch better. I put one in a 70 Charger R/T 440-4 bbl car, 3:54 Dana, some port work on the heads, .510 lift cam, a very nice street car. Loved the clutch.
Posted By: FM3AAR

Re: Centeforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/24/16 05:19 AM

Because of vibration issues with a Centerforce Dual Friction, I pulled it and went with a McLeod. Comparing them back to back, the CF is slightly lighter but the McLeod is easy to drive on the street, has been bullet proof and doesn't have the moving weights on it.
Posted By: ArcticCuda

Re: Centeforce or McLead for my 440-6 4-speed? - 08/24/16 07:54 AM

Originally Posted By 2JcodeChargers
If your going to drive the car much, I think you'll like the center force clutch better. I put one in a 70 Charger R/T 440-4 bbl car, 3:54 Dana, some port work on the heads, .510 lift cam, a very nice street car. Loved the clutch.

Combo will be pretty much same.
© 2024 Moparts Forums