Moparts

Wheel bearing grease...

Posted By: rarefish

Wheel bearing grease... - 08/12/16 10:58 PM

Anyone want to make a recommendation? I have a container of "Multipurpose Grease" that does say for wheel bearings on the label, but the stuff seems very light. Just like a can of Vaseline.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/12/16 11:11 PM

I use the blonde colored wheel bearing grease made by Quaker State or Castrol. It works very well on wheel bearings.
Posted By: minivan

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/12/16 11:17 PM

Years ago I had some of the really old stringy wheel bearing grease.. It was about the consistency of Crisco...

My mechanic friend, who I have a lot of respect for, was just crackin up when he saw I was going to use it to pack some wheel bearings.. Told me it was really old school and the more modern greases were much better....
Posted By: Big_E

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/12/16 11:28 PM

I saw where Eberg of Mopar Action recommended Mopar Grease 4318064. I've never tried it.
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/12/16 11:39 PM

I have used the mobile one red grease for many years on wheel bearings and ball joints.
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 12:56 AM

Originally Posted By Chris2342
I use the blonde colored wheel bearing grease made by Quaker State or Castrol. It works very well on wheel bearings.

same here
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 01:36 AM

Originally Posted By Big_E
I saw where Eberg of Mopar Action recommended Mopar Grease 4318064. I've never tried it.
I think that is the green grease. I got a tube just from his recommendation. way back there was something about "long fiber' grease is what you want. I never did grasp what that was about
Posted By: mikemee1331

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 03:11 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
way back there was something about "long fiber' grease is what you want. I never did grasp what that was about

Minivan mentioned it up above. my grandfather had that stuff back in the day.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 03:29 AM

In my 4th current Tacoma PU I have owned since new, this one with 378K miles, I decided today to change out the original front discs. That meant removing the hubs/bearings, which have never been serviced. The yellow OEM grease, still looked pretty good, and I figured if the bearings were of good enough quality to show zero signs of wear after all these miles, I couldn't figure out why to replace them with today's new junk. Bottom line, that grease must be pretty decent, whatever it is.
Posted By: Big_E

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 04:42 AM

I found the other Eberg article that talked about the long fibre grease. Seems it referred to using it on just the tie rod ends.

Attached picture Screen shot 2016-08-12 at 9.31.26 PM.png

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 06:04 AM

I'd have to check but I think the middle tube with the blue lettering is the green grease I got & the dealer sold me (1) tube (he might had ten in stock at one time)
Posted By: Neil

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 06:20 AM

The Mopar high temp wheel bearing grease was #4318064. Now if you ask for that they'll sell you 05083150AA instead. I have a black tube of the old with a little bit left in it, and a silver tube of stuff with the new part # and they look the same (dark green).

The long fiber multi-mileage lube is for suspension, steering, and u-joints.
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 06:40 AM

Been using the Valvoline hi temp multi purpose. Just bought a new tub of synthetic.
With the modern sealed hub bearings, don't have a big need to repack anymore.

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 06:45 AM

Quote:
. Now if you ask for that they'll sell you 05083150AA instead.
The long fiber multi-mileage lube is for suspension, steering, and u-joints.
Neil just to confirm, all (3) of the tubes pictured are the long fiber good stuff?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/13/16 08:35 PM

They appear to be the same. I own a silver tube like the one in the middle, and if you go to a Dodge, Chrysler, Jeep dealership and ask for the long fiber grease that's what you'll get.

The ones on the left and right I have not seen. I suppose they are older and the labels are just different???

I have always been able to buy single tubes of both the wheel bearing and MM lube. I know the Mopar Action article says you have to buy a case, but my local Dodge dealership has been fine with selling me a single tube, or whatever number of tubes as I ask for individually.

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/14/16 01:22 AM

thank you Neil, I have the middle tube & just wanted to confirm it is the good stuff. I'm almost positive it was green grease & was the part # Eberg said to get
Posted By: Wagonman1967

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/15/16 05:21 PM

When I apprenticed for an old Italian guy in 72 he called it horse grease. Said it was made from horses IDK. We had a 20 gallon bucket full and used it on everything,that was some sticky stinky stringy stuff. Made by Gulf IIRC.
Posted By: njmopar

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/16/16 01:02 AM

I've always been a fan of Pennzoil 707L. Red lithium high temp.
Posted By: 71GTX471

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/16/16 01:50 AM

I like the Mercedes Benz wheel bearing grease its also green & was free when I worked for MB.
Posted By: moparmojo

Re: Wheel bearing grease... - 08/16/16 02:46 AM

There are different grades of Grease and should not noted on the label somewhere. I can't remember the designations, but it is something like GL. Of course you want the higher rating you can afford.
© 2024 Moparts Forums