Moparts

Clutch free play adjustment

Posted By: BMChrysler68

Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 04:41 PM

The FSM recommends 5/32 between the push rod and fork, but I can't find any good info on whether this is measured with the fork in the fully disengaged position or should the TOB be touching the fingers when you're setting the FP?
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 05:24 PM

Problem with that method is that it doesn't take wear into account.

You want the clutch to disengage. So you should measure at the clutch.

With the pedal fully depressed you should have .060" clearance at the clutch disc. You can play with that number a bit, but it's a good starting point.

That's per the MP books.
Posted By: Magnum

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 06:09 PM

No it doesn't take disc wear into consideration but then maybe that is why the clearance required is huge. The fingers will move towards the bearing as the disc wears.
The less clearance the better but you do need to maintain enough clearance so the fingers doesn't touch the bearing.
If you are into performance driving. Adjust until the bearing spins then back off just a bit. You are now ready for some speed shifting, just keep an eye on it.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 06:12 PM

Not just wear at the disc. All wear, regardless, including the fork pivot and fingers as well as any at the bearing itself.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 06:27 PM

Originally Posted By Magnum
Adjust until the nearing spins then back off just a bit. You are now ready for some speed shifting, just keep an eye on it.
iagree scope up

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 07:08 PM

I just replaced the PP and FD, so wear isn't an issue. I'd rather not pull the inspection cover off if I don't have to. I just need to know where the fork is supposed to be when I measure the free play. Am I supposed to pull it rearward to where the TOB starts to touch the levers and measure or am I supposed to let the spring pull it forward and measure?

By what you're saying about adjusting until the bearing spins, I'd guess that I'd want it to be the former.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 07:44 PM

The 5/32" is measured with the TO bearing in contact with the clutch fingers.

Re: Clutch free play adjustment - 08/10/16 07:49 PM

Thank you very much, Sir!! Thank you to everyone else as well!
© 2024 Moparts Forums