Moparts

Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet?

Posted By: wally426ci

Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/05/16 09:07 PM

I have one under the bench from Carlisle last year. Haven't gotten to it but wondering how it went for anyone else?

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 03:10 PM

Bump to the top if you don't mind....
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 03:24 PM

I'd at least crack it open and make sure all is well, I saw them there last year .

What is the date on it ?

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 05:06 PM

I believe it was late 1980's - I thought I would at least stick a new front pump seal in it. The case in my car has some stripped threads and a a few other issues so I liked the fact of starting over with a new shell.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 05:16 PM

Other than not knowing what the calibration of the Valve body is it's an unknown ?

the seals are all 20 plus years old so a reseal through , and an internal inspection to get a good idea of clutch counts and planets would be the minimum.

If you like how your current trans shifts/drives you could dupilcate it's interanl clearnaces and swap the VB over and have a fresh case.

I have helicoiled many holes in the last few transmissions I have rebuilt , as many as 30 in one case that was matching numbers to a car and welded up a crack and a hole in it.
Posted By: dart4forte

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 07:17 PM

Those 727's that went into the M880s and M882s were extra HD. The army bought thousands of them and spec'd them so that they could handle to requirements of a tactical vehicle. They needed to withstand the harsh pounding they got. The M880s and M882s were the precursor to the HMMV
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Has anyone installed a Military Surplus 727 trans yet? - 07/08/16 07:30 PM

Originally Posted By wally426ci
I have one under the bench from Carlisle last year. Haven't gotten to it but wondering how it went for anyone else?

What's the part number stamped in the pan rail below the shift lever?
© 2024 Moparts Forums