Moparts

42 RE question

Posted By: Tech Instructor

42 RE question - 06/27/16 02:17 AM

04 Liberty pump whining and will not move when hot.Just started no problems until Friday.Pulled pan no debris no codes.Pulled the trans.
disassembled nothing burnt air checked ok.Any thoughts? I did not check
pressures no gauge at my house.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: 42 RE question - 06/27/16 03:35 AM

Had one do that. Replaced the gov pressure solenoid and pressure sensor. Fixed. Also replaced the overdrive and lockup solenoids while I had it apart.
Posted By: 383man

Re: 42 RE question - 06/27/16 07:32 AM

Originally Posted By Dabee
Had one do that. Replaced the gov pressure solenoid and pressure sensor. Fixed. Also replaced the overdrive and lockup solenoids while I had it apart.

No offense meant but none of them parts would keep it from moving. Well the only way one would that I could think of if maybe the gov solonoid was broken and leaking down line pressure but I would think you would have have burnt clutches if that was the case.
I found most of the time over the years when I had alot of pump whine I usually found a clogged filter and or a restricted cooler. Look closely at the filter as I had a few that looked clean until I really inspected them closely and the pans only had normal debree in them. A few did that from the converter clutch wearing. Ron
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: 42 RE question - 06/27/16 07:50 PM

iagree Governor solenoid or pressure sensor won't prevent the car from moving.
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: 42 RE question - 06/27/16 08:07 PM

Your Liberty will have a 42RLE trans instead of a 42RE. There is a big difference. All of the the solenoids are contained in the solenoid pack and are replaced as a unit unlike the 42RE fwiw. Nonetheless, the pump whine and no movement is usually caused by one of 3 things; low fluid level, clogged filter, or a dislodged filter.
Posted By: Dabee

Re: 42 RE question - 06/28/16 04:28 AM

Originally Posted By 383man
Originally Posted By Dabee

No offense meant but none of them parts would keep it from moving. Well the only way one would that I could think of if maybe the gov solonoid was broken and leaking down line pressure but I would think you would have have burnt clutches if that was the case.
I found most of the time over the years when I had alot of pump whine I usually found a clogged filter and or a restricted cooler. Look closely at the filter as I had a few that looked clean until I really inspected them closely and the pans only had normal debree in them. A few did that from the converter clutch wearing. Ron

Also replaced the filter whil had the pan off, so that is what must have fixed it.
© 2024 Moparts Forums