Moparts

Body filler?

Posted By: franko

Body filler? - 05/16/16 01:15 PM

Can anybody tell me what a good body filler is? I can't seam to find out on line.i have been using the 3m Bondo but it does not feather edge to well.it has pin holes and has to be top coated with a glazing putty.i also use USC All-Metal filler this I have found to work great but needs more. Time to sand down and eats up sand paper.
Posted By: ringo440

Re: Body filler? - 05/16/16 02:24 PM

Evercoat extreme is a very good pin hole free filler, or is as close as pin hole free as I have ever used. My favorite filler is evercoat rage gold, Both are not cheap fillers, but you get what you pay for. I have been doing bodywork for thirty years and what I found out about filler is to not to rush top coat them make sure not to spray anything on them for at least twenty four hours. These fillers also has the least amount of shinkage I have every used, But again I have not tried a lot of fillers, when you find one that you like stay with it
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Body filler? - 05/17/16 01:06 AM

Pinholes are caused by air in the bondo.

Improper mixing can seriously aggravate the issue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HTGR5Bxoic

Feather edging

http://3mauto.com/how-to-center/apply-and-sand-filler/#XMgcDAypltIpIVVP.97

Never had an issue with feather edging #m stuff, unless I mixed it wrong.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Body filler? - 05/17/16 02:01 AM

I am an amateur but like Rage also. For a first fill after welding I use a waterproof filler like metal to metal or epoxy (JB weld or PC7). Agree the water proof fillers are hard to sand as you mention. After the first coat, I prefer Rage.

To help avoid feather edging problems, I take it down in stages. Get it close to contour before the bondo is fully hard... but do not try to make the feather edge until it is fully hardened. That and make sure the underlying surface is first roughed with at least 80 grit.
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Body filler? - 05/17/16 06:33 AM

Evercoat Rage Extreme is what my body guy uses
Posted By: franko

Re: Body filler? - 05/18/16 01:52 PM

Just bought rage extreme at Amazon will keep everyone updated on its performance when I get it and try it out.with my free shipping I got it for 52.57 was best price around for a gal.
Posted By: fury4speed

Re: Body filler? - 05/18/16 04:58 PM

I like and use Evercoat Rage Gold , works good.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/brand...mp;keyword=rage
Posted By: sparcy

Re: Body filler? - 05/19/16 08:25 AM

evercoat rage and firberglass over welds an repairs first !!!
Posted By: Exit1965

Re: Body filler? - 05/20/16 06:54 AM

I'll have to try evercoat rage next time. On my latest project I used USC kromate light filler, it was cheap at summit. it worked I guess, but wasn't good on sandpaper and left lots of pinholes. I am reading some opinions of it online now, and some people are saying it's better than evercoat rage. who knows.

I used USC icing on the pinholes and on smaller imperfections. That stuff worked great.
© 2024 Moparts Forums