Moparts

Machinists repair advice

Posted By: RO23dave

Machinists repair advice - 05/09/16 05:11 AM

Just put the motor back into the car & reattached the starter. Th e bottom threaded bolt hole in the trans stripped out. Can a helicoil or similar kit be used to repair the thread to the stock size, being this is a straight thru hole and not the kind where you have to break off that tab once the helicoil is screwed in? As a temporary fix gonna get a longer bolt with nylock nut, unless someone has a suggestion that I can do that immediately. Thanks in advance Dave SS/da #1355 fury
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/09/16 06:19 AM

can you just use a regular bolt (is there room/flat area to use a nut on the back side of it)
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/09/16 07:27 AM

Helicoils are great, use one there.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/09/16 03:15 PM

Yes you can use the helicoil, the tab is there to allow the tool to install the helicoil, you still need to break it off but a pair of needle nose pliers on the tab side of the hole makes it easy.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/09/16 04:23 PM

Yes a helicoil will work find there , I done a couple of 727's were I had to helicoil about 10 holes because they were stripped out over the years.
Posted By: RO23dave

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/10/16 06:27 AM

Thanks guys Dave SS/ea #1355 fury
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/10/16 06:48 PM

Permatex Form-A-Thread. I used it on a stripped hole on a frying pan with great success. Clean Clean Clean and be sure to use the release agent on the bolt.

Helicoils require drilling and tapping with the next size tap, although it's a special tap. If you don't know someone who uses Helicoils regularly, the price will shock you when you go to get a kit. I found the best deals on Ebay.

Although Helicoils are better, the Form-A-Thread is surprisingly strong and should be considered.

R.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/10/16 07:12 PM

Assuming it's 3/8-16, IIRC, then it's $20 for the kit.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/hll-5521-6

You will also need the correct 25/64" drill bit if you do not have it.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Machinists repair advice - 05/10/16 07:36 PM

Starter threads are 7/16"-14. Bottom hole gets a stud, not a bolt.
© 2024 Moparts Forums