Moparts

Convert dash lamps to LED

Posted By: Dr Dave

Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/08/16 08:01 PM

Can the stock dash lamps, gauge, turn signals etc be easily converted to LED in a E body?
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/08/16 09:55 PM

Do a google custom search(next to www.moparts.com top of this page)for led dash lights.Everything you will need to know. up
Posted By: jimm69

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 03:27 PM

I have a B body and just replaced my 194 bulbs with LED's that I got at local auto parts store. They are not the cheapest but the dash is much brighter now. easy replacement. just plugs into same socket with no modifications
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 05:17 PM

I just did this recently with my A body rally dash. Got the 194 LEDs at Walmart.

Much brighter now.
Posted By: Chal340

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 05:52 PM

I did this last year, I replaced all the bulbs by Led.
Found them here :
Superbrightleds for Ebodies
Posted By: dart440

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 10:13 PM

I bought 100-pack off eBay (20 Each - Red, Blue, Yellow, Green, White) of 194s for my 74 Duster. I think they were $14 shipped. Did all the dash lights and the side marker bulbs too. There are a couple misc. bulbs that were not 194s under the dash, so I have to get replacements for them. Just do a search for them on eBay. Much cheaper than the stores...and I got spares for other projects...
Posted By: Dr Dave

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 10:42 PM

Awesome, thanks all! I was thinking you needed a resistor or something like that spliced in to make them work (turn signals). Has anyone played with headlights?
Posted By: burdar

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/09/16 10:45 PM

The resistors should already be in the bulbs so you don't have to worry about that. You will need to run the electronic flashers though. The old style flashers won't work since the LED bulbs use a lot less power.
Posted By: astjp2

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/10/16 01:32 AM

I cant get dim enough dash lights at night...bright dash is blinding to me. Tim
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/10/16 07:03 PM

I have the same problem with my daily driver. I am thinking of adding a resistor in series to knock down the voltage past what the dimmer does.

Also, do the lights run off the voltage "regulator" on the dash or by 12VDC?

R.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/10/16 07:47 PM

12v regulated by the dimmer.
Posted By: Big Bad Bee

Re: Convert dash lamps to LED - 05/12/16 12:11 AM

Originally Posted By burdar
The resistors should already be in the bulbs so you don't have to worry about that. You will need to run the electronic flashers though. The old style flashers won't work since the LED bulbs use a lot less power.

Superbrightleds.com has a resistor you put between the pos and neg leads to each of your blinker light circuits. They're around 8 bucks a piece. This solves the problem of extremely fast flashing.

I've just installed LED's everywhere but the front blinkers. That way there's no issue.

By the way, LEDTronics.com is the place to go for 1156 taillight/brakelight and reverse light bulbs. I got my interior stuff from Superbrightleds.com Both have superior customer service.

Lindy
© 2024 Moparts Forums