Moparts

Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage?

Posted By: VITC_GTX

Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 05:18 AM

Broke in my rebuild 383 with a 650 Edelbrock. It ran a little warm during break-in but never actually overheated, it was close though. I noticed today that the rear plug wasn't in the carb so I had a large vacuum leak. Did I do any short-term/long-term damage breaking it in that lean??
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 05:21 AM

Probably not.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 06:25 AM

Better lean than rich. If the plug was out of the carb then all cyl had the same mixture, which is good. It did not overheat so it is probably fine.
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 07:37 AM

Not a problem, no different than having a PCV hooked up...
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 04:11 PM

it likely will be buggin you till you get something concrete to wrap your mind around. I'd pull the plug to replicate it again & shoot the ex manifolds & see how hot they get (just me my OCD would not be at peace till I did SOMETHING!)
Posted By: Baxter61

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 04:31 PM

motor wasnt under load, youre probably ok
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 04:49 PM

The real question is did you go out and do a big burn out yet?
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 07:12 PM

It IS different from having a PCV valve hooked up, the valve closes at high vacuum, an open hole doesn't.

I'd just run the thing.

BUT, if your OCD is at the same level as Blazin' Bob's, I'd recommend a compression check. The extra heat usually affects the exhaust valve first. So if the exhaust valve seals, everything else should be good.

No worries.

R.

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 07:42 PM

What Dog said, I'd do a compression test (& a leakdown test) just to have some numbers for a future reference baseline (& the C test would give you a DCR indicator)
Posted By: GTX MATT

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 08:41 PM

Originally Posted By dogdays
It IS different from having a PCV valve hooked up, the valve closes at high vacuum, an open hole doesn't.

True but it shouldnt close all the way... I get your point. So his leak is a little bigger. Bottom line is he has nothing to worry about. Don't let Moparts scare you. I'm surprised someone hasn't already recommended taking it back apart...

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/21/16 09:29 PM

Yeah really, and convert to a volt meter, mini starter, electronic ignition, 11X3 rear brakes, etc. LOL.

The engine will be fine, washing it down with too rich a mixture is what causes problems, especially on a new engine.
Posted By: MoparforLife

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 12:12 AM

If it ain't broke don't fix it and don't go looking for trouble if it isd running good and has no outward sign of damage.
Posted By: VITC_GTX

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 06:38 AM

Thanks for the help guys. I was hoping I was OK.

Sounds like a few of you are like me (OCD) and would to be able to PROVE nothing is wrong. I think I will try and put my mind to rest and just drive the stupid thing.

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 07:00 AM

Quote:
Sounds like a few of you are like me (OCD) and would to be able to PROVE nothing is wrong. I think I will try and put my mind to rest and just drive the stupid thing.
Holler how that works for you!
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 04:23 PM

Originally Posted By VITC_GTX
I will try and put my mind to rest

Compression&leak-down ends the speculation...

'Know' trumps 'wonder'...
Posted By: Silver70

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 04:43 PM

Once I forgot to fill up the antifreeze before an engine fire up... wasn't empty, but the gauge pegged, didn't hurt a thing.

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 05:43 PM

Should run straight water at first, verify no leaks, then install anitfreeze that first day.
Posted By: DARTH V8Я

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 05:44 PM

Originally Posted By RS23U1G
Originally Posted By VITC_GTX
I will try and put my mind to rest

Compression&leak-down ends the speculation...

'Know' trumps 'wonder'...

Puh-lease. eyes

Just check the plugs and call it a day.
Posted By: 67Satty

Re: Broke my engine in, it was too lean (vacuum leak)any damage? - 04/22/16 08:07 PM

I did something similar, maybe even worse when I broke in my 440 a few years ago. One of the plugs in my Edelbrock Performer RPM was missing and I didn't catch it. After fixing it, I decided to just run it and not look back. 100 1/8 miles passes later, it's still going strong.
© 2024 Moparts Forums