Moparts

Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402

Posted By: Rodder

Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 04/21/16 05:14 AM

Have any of you guys run into this. I somehow lost the pickup screen to a 383 I am overhauling. It has a 402 oil pan. I had another tube the one with the dog leg or bend in the middle of the tube. When I put it in it is too tall by about an inch. I cut it down and now it hits on one of the baffles. I am pretty sure I can make it work by dinging the baffle, but what is the difference between the new ones and the originals? I have ordered a new Mopar performance one to try but I have heard they don't fit either. The windage tray and gasket are not enough to make up the difference. I think I can make the new one work by cutting and re-threading the pipe. Any Ideas?
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 04/21/16 07:20 AM

I'd see if the new one fits as it is on the way and paid for. it is possible to open up the pickup and change/alter screens. I used hardware store NPT pipes and a modded 440source BB pickup in the stock car (SB). I have a pic but it wont post, says the limit is 2MB but the pic is 1.2 MB so I'm missing something. there was something about the block threads not being regular NPT type (rolled?). here's a BTT for ya
Posted By: bee1971

Re: Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 08/30/16 02:37 AM

Anyone make the correct oil pan pickup tube for the factory 402 oil pan / reproduction 402 oil pan used on 383 Magnums

4 quart oil pan with internal baffles , about 4.6" deep

Is this part # correct ?

http://www.manciniracing.com/mop19ben.html
Posted By: Rhinodart

Re: Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 08/30/16 05:49 AM

There were only 2 pickup tubes used, the straight one that is used with no baffles and the dog legged one with the pan baffles, which is also used on the 893 pan for big block A-Body's. There should have been no reason why yours was too long. shruggy The MP piece you show from Mancini will work. wave
Posted By: sthemi

Re: Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 08/30/16 06:02 AM

no matter what you wind up with, the tube needs to be almost touching the bottom of the pan.
Frequently,
it take a that last turn or two to get the new pick up tubes in the correct place.
Tighter than you would expect.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Whats the deal, oil pickup tube for a 402 - 08/30/16 05:54 PM

Originally Posted By bee1971
Anyone make the correct oil pan pickup tube for the factory 402 oil pan / reproduction 402 oil pan used on 383 Magnums

4 quart oil pan with internal baffles , about 4.6" deep

Is this part # correct ?

http://www.manciniracing.com/mop19ben.html

This is the pickup tube I have used numerous times even though it says it is not the right one ?

Melling also made one that summit has/had , but I never bought one ?
© 2024 Moparts Forums