Moparts

Are all A body headers created equal?

Posted By: 74RR

Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 06:49 PM

So I bought a set of Hooker headers at a swap meet for my 74 Scamp. The previous owner stated they came off a 67 Barracuda and would fit my Scamp. I installed them and the idler arm hits one of the header tubes. Not just nicks it, I mean comes in full contact. Wondering I different manufacture of Headers would make a difference? Will ad that when I swapped the /6 for the 360 I also installed a new idler arm as well.
Thanks!
Posted By: moparsquid

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 07:09 PM

the part number is the same for both im only guessing but if you raise the torsion bars will it clear?
Posted By: 19swinger70

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 07:13 PM

The k frame changed in around '72 or '73 with the spool type setup. With this, the idler arm, center ink, and pitman arm are different. The idler and pitman face down on the later style.

This might be the reason???

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 07:16 PM

I have raised the bars. Now, dumb question. Once I drop the car to the ground with that make a difference with idler arm to header clearance? Like I said probably a dumb question.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 07:18 PM

Yes, my idler and pitman arm all face downward.
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 07:55 PM

Ok, this is an engine swap, did you swap in a V8 k member or use conversion mounts, ala Schumacher?

Schumacher's mounts are two different heights and the taller of the two should be on the passenger side, which is the side you are having issues with.

If it's a factory V8 k member then look at the rubber bushing on the pass side mount and make sure it isn't collapsed.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 09:14 PM

I did use the Schumacher kit. This is something I haven't looked into yet. Thank you!

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 10:29 PM

Schumacher has the instructions on line if you don't have them.

http://www.engine-swaps.com/Pages/InstructionPages/73andUpS6-SB.html

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 10:46 PM

Thank you! I'm certain I installed the mounts correctly,but stranger things have happened.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 10:48 PM

Did you cut down the driver's side as required? If not that wouold rotate the engine towards the pass side possibly being the issue?

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 11:06 PM

Yes I did cut down the K member mount of the drivers side.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 11:37 PM

Well, shoot, I dunno.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 11:47 PM

Ya me neither. But I appreciate all your help!

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 11:55 PM

Unless the header are not what is claimed. Did you look at the pictures of Hooker Headers at Summit and see if they match what you have?

Only other thing I can think of. They make a couple of different types that will bolt to the small block, but not fit the chassis.

Re: Are all A body headers created equal? - 04/18/16 11:59 PM

Mmmmm,,,good idea! I have not done that but I will! Thanks!
© 2024 Moparts Forums