Moparts

To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question:

Posted By: WyleECoyote

To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 04:54 AM

My 71 Super Bee; all original, 69,000+ miles. I've shared pics here before of its original tattered and worn condition - but looks great for what it is.

I'm a backer-up-er; a backer-in-er; a person that loves to back into a parking space or a garage.

The car doesn't have a passenger mirror.

I'll start with the statement that I'll never sell the car; upon death, I will be the owner of this car regardless of what life throws at me.

I want to add a mirror on the passenger door. I'm torn. I'd like to hear inputs from my friends here! Please share your opinion!!

Posted By: OzHemi

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 04:58 AM

Nice gate hinge. biggrin

And if it was me, I would add one.... actually it was me, my old Aussie Charger never had a passenger side mirror either and I had added one to it as well.

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 04:59 AM

Mirror mirror on the Dodge...who is the best vision of them all...

laugh

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:12 AM

Originally Posted By OzHemi
Nice gate hinge. biggrin

And if it was me, I would add one.... actually it was me, my old Aussie Charger never had a passenger side mirror either and I had added one to it as well.

You paid attention Forrest!!! Thanks for your "add a mirror post"!

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:14 AM

Mirror mirror on the Dodge...who is the best vision of them all...

laugh

I feel PARALYZED when I back up and I can't see on that right side!!
Posted By: stumpy

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:15 AM

If it was me I'd just ad one of those cheap Ebay back up cameras($35 complete with screen). The lens just bolts to the license plate and the one I bought has a screen that you can unplug and put away when you don't want it seen.Even works well at night.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/4-3-TFT-Foldable...=item5673082e2f

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:17 AM

Originally Posted By stumpy
If it was me I'd just ad one of those cheap Ebay back up cameras($35 complete with screen). The lens just bolts to the license plate and the one I bought has a screen that you can unplug and put away when you don't want it seen.Even works well at night.

Shows just how old I am and stuck in the 80's to not think of such an option...... I haven't looked into such an option but I will now. Thank you stumpy.

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:19 AM

Originally Posted By WyleECoyote
Nice gate hinge. biggrin

You paid attention Forrest!!! Thanks for your "add a mirror post"!

I tend to notice odd ball things, even when not circled in red. laugh2

Oh, and a back up camera is a nice idea, but the side mirror will let you see the quarter panel area which is nice when backing along side things too. work
Posted By: jaque

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:19 AM

get a mirror dude!

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 06:06 AM

Originally Posted By jaque
get a mirror dude!

I agree!
Posted By: rory73

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 09:49 AM

I added one on my Interceptor, the Aspen came with passenger side mirror from the factory. Go for it!
Posted By: Mr340

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 03:56 PM

I've added a mirror to my 73 340 challenger, I say do it!

I don't have a photo of the pass. side mirror but check out the message in the mirror

Attached picture photo(21).JPG
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 04:09 PM

My '70 doesn't have one and honestly I don't miss it. You get used to judging things off the drivers side. I.e. Backing on the stall lines. Knowing the position in the garage. If it's ever in doubt, my wife will hop out to guide or other car people who know the drill offer help. It's your car and call but to me unless they're the body color sport mirrors? The rt side mirror looks outta place
Posted By: therocks

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 05:31 PM

My 65 dosent have any outsides and I miss them.I have a pair in the garage that are the later racing style. Im going to put on some day.Its your car add it.I almost put on the OE 65 ne I have also but dont care for the look.If you decide later you dont want it etc just what 2 small holes to repair unless you go remote.Rocky
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 06:58 PM

Put it on there. I back my 70 Monte into a 10' x 20' storage unit for the winter and wouldn't be able to do it without that second mirror. Didn't come with one from the factory, but looks good.
Posted By: stumpy

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 07:05 PM

Remember the passenger side mirror may not set in the same place on the door as the drivers side so have someone hold the mirror and mark the best line of sight position.
Posted By: Centerline

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 07:24 PM

I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe a passenger's side mirror was an option for most 60's and 70's B bodies. Classic Industries has RH mirrors that match your factory LH mirror and if it was me, I'd just buy one.
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 07:29 PM

I'd like to hear input

How can there even be a question???

There's no such thing as too much visibility...

Attached picture s-l1000.jpg
Attached picture eDSC_8902.jpg
Posted By: MI_Custumz

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 09:00 PM

Make sure the stripes look the same on both sides where the mirrors are at. Not sure if decals were cut around them or not.
Posted By: minivan

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/17/16 09:20 PM

Added one to mine

Attached picture DSCF0189.JPG
Posted By: BloFish

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 01:49 AM

I couldn't bring myself to do it, in fear of making a mistake.
Posted By: ahy

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 03:30 AM

I added one to my '70 Challenger. It was an option on that year. Glad I did. Helpful on the street and on the track.

I used the Y1 re-pop of the factory mirror. Painted it up to match the body and installed it. I measured 3 times instead of the usual 2 to drill the holes in the door and applied tape first. I also went through my collection of drill bits to find one that would give a nice snug fit with the nutsert's I used for the installation. Worked fine.

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By minivan
Added one to mine

THANKS minivan! This is what I needed to see! I couldn't find any pictures of passenger side mounted mirrors on cars that weren't the sport type mirrors! Your car looks GREAT with it!

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 03:32 AM

Originally Posted By MI_Custumz
Make sure the stripes look the same on both sides where the mirrors are at. Not sure if decals were cut around them or not.

GREAT advice - thank you!

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 03:35 AM

Originally Posted By Mr340
I've added a mirror to my 73 340 challenger, I say do it!

I don't have a photo of the pass. side mirror but check out the message in the mirror

LOL - "Objects In Mirror Are Losing" - LOL! Love it!
Posted By: poorboy

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 04:22 AM

Given the shape of the body, even with the additional mirror, you won't be able to see where the back end of the car is. Add the back up camera so you know what is behind you when you need to back up.

Then, add the right side mirror, because the car looks lopsided without it. Gene
Posted By: Magnum

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 04:30 AM

I categorize right side mirror as I do electronic ignitions, radial tires and disc brakes.

If it makes the car drive better or in this case, easier to drive. Add it on and get over it.

Imagine one day you scratch up the right side of the car against something while reversing because you couldn't see it without a mirror.
Posted By: Pale_Roader

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 09:47 AM

I'm in the no camp. I can back up just fine without a passenger mirror, just takes practice, or if you park it in a certain spot a certain way every time, a few garage tricks can help.

Cutting (well... drilling) an original, adding weight (yes! LOTS OV WEIGHT!!! shut up), complexity, wind resistance. Possibly messing nice paint. And basically adding just another thing to go wrong or break. Vandal target. Home for extremely angry wasps. Spending money you could rather spend on beer or metal CD's. And how many hours ov your precious life will you waste getting this right? Think ov the kids. Maybe you dont like your kids? I dont know. You could use that time re-watching the season 2 finale ov Vikings. That will add more to the value ov your life than a silly (and heavy) mirror.

Strippers rule. I mean cars... you pervs...

Just DONT DO IT. For the love ov the Gods... dont do it.
Posted By: skicker

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 01:27 PM

Mine didn't have one from factory but I added it...You can't see chit out of it but it's there... whistling

Attached picture 1 Hagerstown 2013.jpg
Posted By: bonefish

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 05:12 PM

Originally Posted By skicker
Mine didn't have one from factory but I added it...You can't see chit out of it but it's there... whistling
same thing here,ITS WORTHLESS.but it does make me ask,do you just measure the left mirror position and install the right accordingly or is it in a diff. location for better visability?
Posted By: 62maxwgn

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/18/16 06:12 PM

To tell the truth,from inside the car I don't think I ever looked at it !!

Attached picture Picture 017.jpg

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 03:15 AM

Originally Posted By Pale_Roader
I'm in the no camp. I can back up just fine without a passenger mirror, just takes practice, or if you park it in a certain spot a certain way every time, a few garage tricks can help.

Cutting (well... drilling) an original, adding weight (yes! LOTS OV WEIGHT!!! shut up), complexity, wind resistance. Possibly messing nice paint. And basically adding just another thing to go wrong or break. Vandal target. Home for extremely angry wasps. Spending money you could rather spend on beer or metal CD's. And how many hours ov your precious life will you waste getting this right? Think ov the kids. Maybe you dont like your kids? I dont know. You could use that time re-watching the season 2 finale ov Vikings. That will add more to the value ov your life than a silly (and heavy) mirror.

Strippers rule. I mean cars... you pervs...

Just DONT DO IT. For the love ov the Gods... dont do it.

LOL, LMAO! LOVE your post!!! Thank you - I needed the chuckle and enjoyed your entire post! Thank you!!!

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 03:16 AM

Thank you for sharing!!! I enjoy seeing the "dark side" as I'm learning about passenger side non-sport mirrors!

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 03:18 AM

Originally Posted By bonefish
same thing here,ITS WORTHLESS.but it does make me ask,do you just measure the left mirror position and install the right accordingly or is it in a diff. location for better visability?

WOW - GREAT question!!!

I would have just "assumed" it went in the same exact location as the driver's side - but you raise an interesting question!
Posted By: Pynzo

Re: To mirror, or not mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By bonefish

WOW - GREAT question!!!

I would have just "assumed" it went in the same exact location as the driver's side - but you raise an interesting question!

It doesn't on a '70. I added a junk yard pulled set on my Bee many years ago positioning passengers side equal to drivers side and could never get it adjusted to see anything.
Like suggested previously have someone hold it in position for best visibility and line up with door while you sit in drivers seat. Mark and recheck carefully.
Posted By: krautrock

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 05:43 PM

Added one to mine

you have a closer pic showing the mirror position?
the mirrors on my 67 coronet block the vent window from opening up all the way around so it blows air inside the car...not sure if it's correct or not...
Posted By: Jerry

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 06:48 PM

the problem with old mirrors are they are flat. if you look at a new car mirror it is convex, I tried to add a convex mirror to my challenger but after multiple attempts I gave up. I just wanted to replace the flat mirror with a convex mirror. can't believe no one has done this yet. so to that effect, the passenger mirror is worthless

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 07:12 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock
Added one to mine

the mirrors on my 67 coronet block the vent window from opening up all the way around so it blows air inside the car...not sure if it's correct or not...

When I purchased the car ( a field car) it had an aftermarket ( square) mirror, so it was weld the holes or install a correct one ( that was REAL expensive).....

If I remember right ( I am getting old) as odd an install as it seems, outside the pass door vent glass is the only place it works.. Outside the Pass door glass, it will not move enough to work for the driver.. Again its been a while, but seems like a lot of hand wringing ( outside the vent glass) when I did the install.. Pretty sure I looked at some other cars ( computers were not as common then) also.....

Attached picture DSCF0217.JPG
Posted By: RSNOMO

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 07:13 PM

Like with many other things, folks got along fine in the past without a 'panoramic' mirror...

I use my 45 year-old pass mirror every time I drive, often...

It starts when I give both a look before I back the car out of the garage...

Re: To mirror, or not to mirror- that is the question: - 04/19/16 10:16 PM

Originally Posted By krautrock
Added one to mine

Here you go.. I cannot say if this is a "perfect" stock location, Just can't remember exactly how I decided on this location..

Attached picture DSCF0270.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0271.JPG
Attached picture DSCF0272.JPG
© 2024 Moparts Forums