Moparts

Metal debris in my engine

Posted By: cudaman1969

Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 03:48 AM

Never had an engine blow up or wipe a cam, so I need some ideas on how to clean up the inside of block. I bought a 5.7 with a piggy-backed rod bearing and the metal grit is everywhere (not sure if lifters would be contaminated). Everything is coming apart, so what's the best way of cleaning? What about cam bearings?
Posted By: Neil

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 05:07 AM

Use degreaser, hot soapy water, solvent ect to break down the oil film and use engine cleaning brushes and go thru all the oil galleries.

Cam bearings should be replaced if they are scratched up.

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 06:31 AM

Not sure I got a good deal now. I'll do what you say with cleaning. What about sticking magnets on the block while
cleaning?
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 06:44 AM

The best solvent for sludge is lacquer thinner! Cuts through absolutely anything instantly
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 07:48 AM

Hot tank? Bueller? The time you save will be worth it.
Posted By: R70RUNNER

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 08:05 AM

Modern Hemi I assume, don't forget to toss the intake manifold in the trash if there's any doubt about the extend of damage and if it went through the combustion chamber. The debris is known to get into the plastic and then come back out into the new build. It's impossible to clean them.

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 04:37 PM

Originally Posted By R70RUNNER
Modern Hemi I assume, don't forget to toss the intake manifold in the trash if there's any doubt about the extend of damage and if it went through the combustion chamber. The debris is known to get into the plastic and then come back out into the new build. It's impossible to clean them.

From looking so far, basically crank journal and rod eat up, still running before getting pulled. Can feel metal partials imbedded in other rod bearings, like sandpaper. What's the filter for, chunks?
Posted By: feets

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 04:53 PM

Originally Posted By cudaman1969
From looking so far, basically crank journal and rod eat up, still running before getting pulled. Can feel metal partials imbedded in other rod bearings, like sandpaper. What's the filter for, chunks?

The filter is for chunks that make it into the pan and pickup tube.

The trash that killed your bottom end never made it that far.

If you can feel it the filter would have caught it.
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 05:28 PM

Originally Posted By R70RUNNER

Unless your engine has a filter without a bypass, over 80% of your oil is not being filtered.

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 07:20 PM

I've come to the conclusion filters are useless on race engines then, just a restriction. Big Magnet in the pan would work better. Lol
Posted By: it's Bob

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 07:53 PM

Well, there are a lot of non-magnetic, non-ferrous metals in an engine these days.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/06/16 11:44 PM

Never had an engine blow up or wipe a cam, so I need some ideas on how to clean up the inside of block. I bought a 5.7 with a piggy-backed rod bearing and the metal grit is everywhere (not sure if lifters would be contaminated). Everything is coming apart, so what's the best way of cleaning? What about cam bearings?

The lifters will be contaminated too , I spun a bearing on a 383 many years ago , it had a cam and lifters I just put in a few hundred miles before the bearing spun. I opened them up and flush them with brake wash and ran the solution thru a white rag , every lifter had metal in it .

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/07/16 12:07 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR

The lifters will be contaminated too , I spun a bearing on a 383 many years ago , it had a cam and lifters I just put in a few hundred miles before the bearing spun. I opened them up and flush them with brake wash and ran the solution thru a white rag , every lifter had metal in it .

I'll have to look and see if I can pull the roller lifters apart, major bummer.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/07/16 12:08 AM

Another vote for having it tanked. It's really not that expensive to start with.

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/07/16 02:06 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Another vote for having it tanked. It's really not that expensive to start with.

Do you mean hot tanked?
Posted By: pittsburghracer

Re: Metal debris in my engine - 04/07/16 02:28 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla

Do you mean hot tanked?

Most hot tanking is now discontinued because of pollution concerns but most machine shops have updated ways of cleaning blocks that come out very nice. They still need scrubbed at home before assembly but it a simple process after they do their thing.
© 2024 Moparts Forums