Moparts

70 gtx rallye dash problem

Posted By: cmansell

70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 01:11 AM

I have temp and oil pressure gauges started pegging all the way over when key is on, thought I had a bad limiter until I found that when I turn the park lights on those gauges return to off position. This started after the airgrabber switch was taken out for repair. Anyone heard of this problem where light switch kills the gauges? I tried grounding the cluster with a jumper but no difference. Thanks
Posted By: 1969gtx

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 01:58 AM

bad ground to cluster ck the screw that hold it to the dash
Posted By: Andrewh

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 02:38 AM

you may have 2 different problems.
pegging gauges are probably still the limiter.

killing them could also be a bad ground when you turn on the parking lights because they have no path to complete the circuit.

to peg the gauges, you must have more than 5 volts going to it.

I would pull out the limiter and bench test it before you burn out the gauges.

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 02:49 AM

I would have already changed the limiter, but it seems to be in the worst place to get it out without pulling the cluster. I can touch it but no room to pull it out. Console pistol grips are the worst for under dash work.
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 07:21 AM

Try this...
Pull the radio panel with its 4 screws and rear bracket mount, disconnect antenna and wire lead. Now U can easily reach in to swap out the voltage limiter..
I would also suggest U install the new solid-state limiter

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: 69/70 Plymies

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 07:21 AM

Originally Posted By cmansell
I would have already changed the limiter, but it seems to be in the worst place to get it out without pulling the cluster. I can touch it but no room to pull it out. Console pistol grips are the worst for under dash work.

Take the console out. I've spent the last 2 months working under the dash of my '70 Sport Satellite 4 speed/console car and it's real easy to pull the console. And if need be, pull a bucket seat out, too. Another easy job. I agree about bench testing the voltage limiter. Be sure to clean the dash ground located behind the passenger side kick panel.

Re: 70 gtx rallye dash problem - 03/22/16 11:44 PM

Pulled the radio out and looked at the rear of the cluster with a mirror, found a white wire dangling right above the lines to the airgrabber switch. Plugged it back up and everything came back. Unreal that a wire off would cause this problem!
© 2024 Moparts Forums