Moparts

Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator?

Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator? - 03/05/16 05:10 PM

Two questions;

1.) My brother has a beat up '69 Coronet H code with a 26" radiator and "Tow Package" option. But some of the car is apart and not necessarily complete. He and I wonder if his 727 tranny with the Tow option would have come with a dedicated tranny oil cooler in front of the radiator. Anyone here know?

As we were pondering the question above, we came up a second question we don't know the answer to;

2.) The "standard" tranny fluid lines between the transmission and radiator bottom tank; are they for cooling the tranny fluid, or are they actually for warming up the tranny on start up? or both?

Thanks!
- Art
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator? - 03/05/16 05:34 PM

The radiator is for cooling. Without the radiator and an aditional external oil cooler the trans will be cooked on a hot day going up a long grade pulling a car trailer unless you are really lucky.
Posted By: John_Kunkel

Re: Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator? - 03/05/16 08:17 PM

The towing package parts list doesn't mention a trans cooler in '69. shruggy

While the "cooler" in the radiator is obviously intended for cooling it does also act to warm up the fluid in extreme cold climates where the fluid might otherwise never reach operating temperature.
Posted By: RJS

Re: Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator? - 03/05/16 11:41 PM

From what I understand if the car is optioned with a tow package the cooler in the radiator will hold more fluid than the same car without the tow package. No external cooler in that application.
Ron
Posted By: 67SATisfaction

Re: Tow Package option; 727 transmission cooler at radiator? - 03/07/16 12:08 AM

Thanks guys,
It's a decent start - the car also has AC, so there is the evaporator in front (looks like a small radiator, right?). I'll make sure he scrutinizes the plumbing to understand the AC lines, he no idiot, but still make sure he understands they aren't tranny lines. He's not towing anything with it, so if it looks right, I'll tell him to just hook up the tranny lines to the radiator bottom tank.

Cheers,
- Art
© 2024 Moparts Forums