Moparts

Source for intake manifold foam end seals?

Posted By: DaveRS23

Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 04:25 AM

BB/Hemi, those foam end seals for the intake manifold when the valley plate is part of the intake. I need a set and can't find them anywhere.

Can you steer me towards some?

Thanks
Posted By: justinp61

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 04:34 AM

How big is the gap? On small blocks I throw them away and use copper silicone.
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 05:21 AM

Member 'roadhazard' makes and sells gaskets. He can probably help you out.
Posted By: SNK-EYZ

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 08:35 AM

Originally Posted By slantzilla
Member 'roadhazard' makes and sells gaskets. He can probably help you out.

I don't think that Superformance makes the valley end gaskets for a Hemi.
I bought their Hemi Intake gaskets (from roadhazard) and they don't come with them.
I can't find them in their catalog.
http://www.superformanceproducts.com/catalog/2016SuperformanceCatalog_RacerNet.pdf

I know that Dan Smith said he usually just uses RTV gasket maker for the valley plates.
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 02:48 PM

I went to a craft store, Michael's, and bought a couple of different thicknesses of foam in sheet form.

PS I saw one of your buddies up here chasing coyotes the other day. We were in a 69 Charger and he started describing your Dart.

Small world

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 04:06 PM

I am using the Superformance gaskets which don't come with the end seals which is why I am looking for them. And I have used silicone before and it worked okay, I would just prefer to use the foam for this build.

The craft store foam is an interesting idea. As long as it doesn't become oil soaked or fall apart, it would be worth trying.

Coyotes and Darts. Yeah, we get around.
Posted By: MLR426

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 06:25 PM

Tough Ultra Black for end seals can't beat it

MLR426
Posted By: rickseeman

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 02/29/16 11:16 PM

Home Depot has any size you want. That's where Ray Barton told me to go. The last time I gave in and used silicon like everyone else and had good results.
Posted By: TJP

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/01/16 04:23 AM

Originally Posted By MLR426

MLR426

iagree

Clean the surfaces with brake clean, acetone, alcohol,

Lay a bead, make sure to have enough in the corners, set the intake, let it cure 24 to 48 hours, trim the excess with a razor blade. twocents

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/01/16 04:46 PM

I don't think that I will use foam from a craft store or lumber yard. Just too much uncertainty about it's long term ability to resist oil. And I won't use The Right Stuff for the intake ends again. I thought I would need a stick of dynamite to pull the intake last time. That stuff is tough!

So, that leaves the Ultra Black.

Thanks for the help, guys.
Posted By: roadhazard

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/01/16 04:48 PM

Originally Posted By TJP
Originally Posted By MLR426

MLR426

iagree

Clean the surfaces with brake clean, acetone, alcohol,

Lay a bead, make sure to have enough in the corners, set the intake, let it cure 24 to 48 hours, trim the excess with a razor blade. twocents

I'll have to agree with the above recommendation of using some Permatex Ultra Black RTV on the block rails. Be certain the surfaces are squeaky clean as suggested.

We don't include the end seals for a few reasons. One being many of these heads and blocks have been milled therefore the gap between the manifold and the block can vary widely.

It is highly doubtful you will find a suitable foam at your local craft store that will stand up to the oil, fuel, heat and compression set.

Ultra Black is where it's at
Posted By: Sinitro

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/02/16 12:15 AM

Intake gasket material is available @ Autozone...

http://www.autozone.com/sealants-glues-a.../?checkfit=true

Just my $0.02... wink
Posted By: cdstl

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/02/16 06:29 AM

Originally Posted By cdstl
I went to a craft store, Michael's, and bought a couple of different thicknesses of foam in sheet form.

PS I saw one of your buddies up here chasing coyotes the other day. We were in a 69 Charger and he started describing your Dart.

Small world

Foam no good here, other places it's ok. I am/was an idiot. Use the black stuff Martin recommended.
Posted By: RO23dave

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/04/16 05:33 PM

I believe I have a drawer full of them from over the years contact me, pm, & once I confirm I can ship some out. Dave SS/ea #1355
Posted By: RO23dave

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/04/16 05:48 PM

Just looked in my box I have all 3 types, cork, foam w/holes, & foam w/o holes, contact me & they're yours. Dave SS/ea #1355

Re: Source for intake manifold foam end seals? - 03/05/16 02:52 AM

Super offer, thank you.

But I think I will join the crowd and use the black RTV.

up
© 2024 Moparts Forums