Moparts

Cracked Balancer

Posted By: 426runner

Cracked Balancer - 02/17/16 08:33 PM

My real question... can this be repaired?

Posted By: PurpleBeeper

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/17/16 08:38 PM

Hmmmm..... would I take a cracked piece of steel weighing about 5 lbs. and spin it up to 7000 rpm a few feet from me? NOPE
Posted By: stumpy

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/17/16 09:22 PM

No way I would trust any repair on that.
Posted By: Polarapete

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/17/16 11:05 PM

When you consider the potential for damage, it would be foolish to reuse this part. I think you just dodged a bullet when you found that.
Posted By: wingman

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/17/16 11:27 PM

Not to mention the pits and the crack will make it hard for the timing cover seal to seal on the snout. You could sleeve it, of course but prob not worth it.
Posted By: fastmark

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 12:04 AM

What they said. Throw it away or used as wall art.
Posted By: 68jim

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 12:29 AM

Sandy,

Is this off the Runner or someone else's car?

Jim
Posted By: yella71

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 01:08 AM

One word. JUNK
Posted By: TJP

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 03:24 AM

iagree
With all of the above Otherwise fan panic realcrazy twocents
Posted By: Pacnorthcuda

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 04:26 AM

My comment is kudos to you for catching it. Great that it just wasn't reinstalled. I recently scrapped one that had a sloppy key way. No way was I gonna run it!
Posted By: Morty426

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 05:46 AM

It's not worth it.
Posted By: jcc

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 05:58 AM

I spoke with "JC" at ATI at the 2015 PRI show about adding a second keyway in a mopar damper. We were looking at one he had on display, he was very concerned about how much "meat" was left for strength if I choose that option, and wanted me to find a larger front seal so he could increase damper oustide snout diameter on a custom damper. I was leary, now, not so much.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 02:26 PM

I wouldn't have an engineering problem with cutting another key way as I dont think there'd even be close to a strength issue there but that'd be unrelated to the current crack situation (as said toss it & definitely Kudos for catching that as most wouldn't as it is such a trouble free/stout piece & unless I am missing something I'd think the only reason to cut another keyway would be to reclock the dampener slit location & considering the time/money to do that (properly) I'd just get another used one as they are pretty much bulletproof (yours is the only bad one I've ever seen unfortunately).
Posted By: 426runner

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 03:11 PM

Yes, this was on the car.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/18/16 07:55 PM

Originally Posted By 426runner
Yes, this was on the car.

It's junk , find another.
Posted By: domingo

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/19/16 01:55 AM

junk!
Posted By: jcc

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/19/16 03:17 AM

Originally Posted By RapidRobert
I wouldn't have an engineering problem with cutting another key way as I dont think there'd even be close to a strength issue there but that'd be unrelated to the current crack situation (as said toss it & definitely Kudos for catching that as most wouldn't as it is such a trouble free/stout piece & unless I am missing something I'd think the only reason to cut another keyway would be to reclock the dampener slit location & considering the time/money to do that (properly) I'd just get another used one as they are pretty much bulletproof (yours is the only bad one I've ever seen unfortunately).

My conversation with ATI centered (pun intended) on my use of a centrifugal supercharger overloading a single OEM keyway. The Op's broke at the keyway as best as I can tell, and is apparently the weak point that ATI was trying to beat into my brain, and it looks like they have seen this before.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Cracked Balancer - 02/19/16 03:40 AM

Yeah in the middle of my reply I knew I was off track/missing something! kinda like way way back when I had a car that you could lock by holding the outside door button that is under the handle in while you are shutting the door only to realize seconds later that the keys are still in the ign! (& a vague thought in the middle of the 3 second event that sumpin ain't right). the gut never lies
© 2024 Moparts Forums