Moparts

Steers and Gears for Box rebuild

Posted By: 65pacecar

Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/23/16 04:49 PM

Anyone use them for box and pump rebuild? How is the quality and service, do you get your actual parts back?
Posted By: 68-scatpack-rt

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/23/16 06:14 PM

Service was great. I got my original box back. I haven't driven the car yet.
Posted By: DAYCLONA

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/23/16 06:44 PM

Originally Posted By 65pacecar
Anyone use them for box and pump rebuild? How is the quality and service, do you get your actual parts back?

I've had several PS boxes done over the years by S&G, at the time the only service upgrade out there, never really impressed by the work all the boxes/seals leaked, the last (straw!) box the selector shaft sheared internally, the last few years on my builds or customers, I've been using Firm Feel Stage II or III boxes, which are day and night as far as comparison to S&G products, I heard that FF also offers a Stage 4 PS box now, I highly recommend the Stage III from Firm Feel from personal experience, "steer" clear of S&G IMHO
Posted By: markz528

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/23/16 10:09 PM

They did 3 for me over the years. One power and two manual.

Work was ok but I was livid that they tore a perfect rubber boot for my 65 Fury. There was ZERO reason to destroy it. Any you can't buy these! I was SOL!
Posted By: Adam71Charger

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/23/16 10:52 PM

They did my box and my pump. Good work as far as I can tell. They did send me back the pump with wet paint which stuck to the shipping material and made , but I called them and they sent me some free stuff to make up for it. Very good customer service.
Posted By: markz528

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/24/16 01:46 AM

Originally Posted By Adam71Charger
They did my box and my pump. Good work as far as I can tell. They did send me back the pump with wet paint which stuck to the shipping material and made , but I called them and they sent me some free stuff to make up for it. Very good customer service.

I agree the customer service was good. They offered to buy be a new boot rubber but we could not find one. At least they offered but never should of happened!
Posted By: 5wndwcpe

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/24/16 04:34 AM

They did the box on my '57 and it leaked immediately after installation. Funny thing is it didn't freakin' leak when I gave it to them. I guess they "fixed" it.
Posted By: ProSport

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/24/16 06:37 PM

Looks like I'll be calling Firm Feel for my Duster. Thanks for the info.

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/24/16 07:17 PM

Thanks for the replies, much appreciated. Currently the box has never leaked a drop, same with the pump. Tempted to just clean and detail while out, if not I will send to Firm Feel instead.

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/24/16 07:21 PM

Originally Posted By markz528
They did 3 for me over the years. One power and two manual.

Work was ok but I was livid that they tore a perfect rubber boot for my 65 Fury. There was ZERO reason to destroy it. Any you can't buy these! I was SOL!

That's s shame, extremely rare piece to damage. Luckily I bought An NOS one years ago and set it back for the day I restored the car, haven't seen another one since. I think I got it from National Moparts in Canada.
Posted By: babarracuda

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/25/16 02:35 PM

I have only used Firm fee. They are willing to answer any question and I would never use anyone else. I have a stage 2 box, but wish I had bought a stage 3.
Posted By: dan9

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/25/16 05:39 PM

I'm not sure what the stage 2 is like but when I spoke to FF they recommended stage 3. For only 10 bucks more my Challenger has the feel of a newer car, in a very good way.
Posted By: 469runner

Re: Steers and Gears for Box rebuild - 01/25/16 06:14 PM

I'm reading mixed reviews here. For what it worth, I've used Steer & Gear exclusively for over 20 years and have never had a problem. Anything that is done on these 45 year old steering boxes is a huge improvement. Living on the east coast I like being able to drop these off at Carlisle and avoid shipping costs.
© 2024 Moparts Forums