Moparts

Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank

Posted By: wally426ci

Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 12/31/15 11:09 PM

I have a lot of fuel to drain since the car sat for a whole year due to trying to diagnose charging issue without a lot of time to devote. Anyone found a good method to try and capture fuel without making a huge, dangerous mess?
Posted By: loco340cuda

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 12/31/15 11:28 PM

I recently used this to empty 11 gallons out of my Cuda gas tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Took a little time and energy but was able to transfer all the gas without hardly any mess, though I could still smell gasoline for many hours after I did the transfer.....

sick
Posted By: wally426ci

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 12/31/15 11:37 PM

Interesting, thanks!
Posted By: markz528

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 01/01/16 12:08 AM

Originally Posted By loco340cuda
I recently used this to empty 11 gallons out of my Cuda gas tank.

http://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-66418.html

Took a little time and energy but was able to transfer all the gas without hardly any mess, though I could still smell gasoline for many hours after I did the transfer.....

sick

I have used that pump before and it does work.

I have an old Holley blue pump with a filter that I use now. Two options with it - either stick a hose down the tank or hook it up to the fuel line.
Posted By: NANKET

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 01/01/16 12:14 AM

I like the electric pump hooked to the fuel line. Goes pretty quick and no mess.
Posted By: ahy

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 01/01/16 01:18 AM

I often jack the rear end up then siphon into 5 gallon cans. The little HF pumps will start the siphon if you don't want a mouthful of gas.

Or the electric pump on the fuel line. That gets more gas out but slower. You can also siphon using a length of fuel line on the pickup... but really slow.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: Best method for draining Challenger fuel tank - 01/01/16 06:31 AM

unhook the "out" line from the mech pump & with a neoprene line run it out to the container you are using. take off the air cleaner. let it idle & keep (re)filling the carb bowl till it pumps the tank dry
© 2024 Moparts Forums