Moparts

SB 318 rope rear main seal available?

Posted By: Quicksilver440

SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/07/15 10:58 PM

I can't find anyone who lists a SB 318 Rope rear main seal....I can only find them for BB's. Does anyone know if they are available? And where can I actually buy one?

This is my first venture with a SB....so I've got lots to learn.

Thanks,

Rob
Posted By: mopars4ever

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/07/15 11:44 PM

Fel-Pro BS11748 is a rope seal. I would think it would work on that engine. Let others check in that know for sure.
Posted By: RapidRobert

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 12:20 AM

Car Quest. Reinz JV551
Posted By: Supercuda

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 01:57 AM

Both the above numbers are for BB's, not SB's.
Posted By: dvw

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 02:42 AM

Why would you want one? I've never had the neoprene ones leak.
Doug

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 03:01 AM

Quote:
Both the above numbers are for BB's, not SB's.
Correct but they will work (correctly) on SB's

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 03:08 AM

Supercuda...I had looked at both of those too and had seen they were listed for BB's. Robert...So these will work on SB's no problem? You've done it I take it?

The reason I want a rope seal is that my crank has the knurl/crosshatching meant for a rope seal, and I have never had a rope seal leak but always read about people having problems using a rubber seal on a knurled/crosshatched crank. If it's in question....I would rather use a rope seal that through experience, I know works.

I'm open to other opinions though....

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 03:20 AM

yes several times. I forgot the other word in the brand name when I posted; "Victor" Reinz JV551
Posted By: 71yelladustr

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 04:09 AM

Got my last Victor JV551 rope seal from Autozone. They are cut-to-fit so they will work in both BB and SB.

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 04:17 AM

Thanks Robert and Yella...that's what I needed to know. up
Posted By: moper

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 07:29 PM

You will end up trimming them to fit anyway. I prefer rope over a lip seal unless it's a car they plan to race. Rope doesn't leak. They don't seap. Ever.
Posted By: JohnRR

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 08:50 PM

BEST Gasket has the best rope seal , the Fel pro is made of too hard a material and doesn't last, I'm pretty sure original rope seal had asbestos in them and that is gone from being used now.

http://www.bestgasket.com/
Posted By: 67Charger

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/08/15 11:53 PM

Rob,

WHAT are you doing with a SB?!?!?

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/09/15 05:20 AM

Moper...I agree!

John...I have been looking for someone who sells the Best rope seal online...havnt found it yet, but I am looking.

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/09/15 05:31 AM

Dan! If you remember my son Bobby (Robert) from "Pinks"...he just turned 17 and is building a '64 Sweptline short bed pickup for his daily driver. 318 with a 4-speed (833). He was building a 440 with a spare block I had in the garage, but when it went to the machine shop a few weeks ago we found out it was cracked. down

Good thing I dragged it to three different houses over the years.He decided just to expedite things and pulled a 318 out of a van at the junkyard on 40% day on thanksgiving morning. He wants to put some magnum heads on it and just drive it since I couldn't find another block that didn't cost me a fortune.
Posted By: Sxrxrnr

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/09/15 07:46 PM

Recently spent 2 days removing top half of a leaky rope seal in Y block in our 55 T Bird. Installed a neoprene seal, no more leak 'yet' anyway. Was faced with pulling engine until devising a rather homegrown Bubba solution that got it out. Sneaky Pete tool to remove proved worthless.

I do not believe that is recommended to install a rope seal unless crankshaft is removed from engine. These Sneaky Pete solutions to pull a new top half in with crank installed at prove problematic at best. They can stretch the new seal and oft times you will find that seal is not properly seated in block and will leak.

Advice as suggested earlier, try a neoprene seal first.

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/11/15 10:11 AM

Originally Posted By JohnRR
BEST Gasket has the best rope seal , the Fel pro is made of too hard a material and doesn't last, I'm pretty sure original rope seal had asbestos in them and that is gone from being used now.

http://www.bestgasket.com/

I found the BEST part # is 5263 for all mopar v8's and they sell them online at Marxparts.com
Posted By: moper

Re: SB 318 rope rear main seal available? - 12/11/15 06:42 PM

Originally Posted By Sxrxrnr
Recently spent 2 days removing top half of a leaky rope seal in Y block in our 55 T Bird. Installed a neoprene seal, no more leak 'yet' anyway. Was faced with pulling engine until devising a rather homegrown Bubba solution that got it out. Sneaky Pete tool to remove proved worthless.

I do not believe that is recommended to install a rope seal unless crankshaft is removed from engine. These Sneaky Pete solutions to pull a new top half in with crank installed at prove problematic at best. They can stretch the new seal and oft times you will find that seal is not properly seated in block and will leak.

Advice as suggested earlier, try a neoprene seal first.

I would suggest if someone is to try this, to first trim the rope where the tool will grab so it's a fresh cut and not frayed, pull the seal in from the driver's side up over the crank, and turn the crank in the same direction as and at the same time as you pull it in. This is reverse of the way the crank normally rotates. The "sneaky Pete" has been successfully used for decades.
© 2024 Moparts Forums