Moparts

Repairing Isky Rockers

Posted By: baracus

Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/28/15 07:06 PM

Can ductile iron rockers like Isky, Crane, etc be repaired. I just received a set of old Iskys through the mail that has damage that was not noted on purchase. One pad is broke off and a couple look to have uneven wear. If not fixable, I'm thinking to run a newer Crane rocker in its place.
Posted By: Jeremiah

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/28/15 07:22 PM

I'd be getting my money back. You can have the unbroken rockers serviced but the broken units not repairable.
Posted By: Cab_Burge

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/28/15 11:20 PM

RAS,530-242-1316, can repair and blueprint the worn pads and even change the rocker arm ratio, they don't offer fixing broken off ends shruggy They may have some spares to sell you for replacing the broken one scope I would expect the seller to pay for that one including the shipping, no matter what the costs thumbs twocents If he doesn't and those parts where shipped from his state to your state, not in the same state, by the U.S Post Office I would let him know that if he doesn't take care of it you will file a complaint with the U.S. Post Office for interstate fraud and see what that does for his conscious(SP?) thumbs twocents I HATE liars and THIEFS runaway
Posted By: Stanton

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/28/15 11:23 PM

How much do you have invested ?? You may be further ahead parting the good ones out - I'm sure you're not the only guys with a couple damaged rockers. Those were good rockers, the Iskys in particular with the hardened pad !! Back in the '70's you could buy those rockers individually from Isky and they were close to $8.00 each - which was a fair bit of coin back then !!
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 03:52 AM

I have some spare rockers in my trailer, could be Isky, Crane or Crower. Which ones do you need? I'll check tomorrow.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 04:15 AM

Thanks for the replies. I'm trying to get in touch with the seller to discuss the issue with him. I have one broken intake rocker pad, the rest may be okay. I had a little time to clean and inspect them better and a few have offset wear patterns but may be okay. I'll try to get some pics to see what u guys think. Rown 4, if you have an extra isky intake rocker I'll be glad to buy it, anyone also as well. Thanks guys. Also, I'm assuming they are 1.5, I don't see any markings that say either way, how did they distinguish between 1.5 and 1.6?
Posted By: rowin4

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 04:57 AM

I don't recall that they ever made 1.6 in cast rockers, but maybe, mine would be 1.5's

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 05:06 AM

There are 4 lefts and 4 rights of both the intakes and exhaust rockers scopeFigure out exactly which one you need scope If the adjuster ball is to the left of the center of the rocker it is a left offset, if it is right of center it is a right offset scope
Posted By: GY3

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 05:53 AM

I have some extra BB Cranes. No Iskys..

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 06:58 AM

Those are hardened pads so its unlikely they're terribly worn. You may see a contact pattern but there shouldn't be much else. Cranes on the other hand didn't use pads and I've seen some with DEEP grooves worn in them !!

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 05:10 PM

According to the description by Cab I need a left offset rocker. The adjuster ball is to the left of center and the rocker offsets to the right. I tried to post a picture but can't figure it out right now. Also you guys were right about the pad wear,there is some shiny offset wear patterns on some pads but the pads themselves are worn evenly.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 05:12 PM

Oh yeah, if anyone has one let me know thanks.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 06:15 PM

I wouldn't be afraid to put a Crane in if I couldn't find an Isky. They're virtually identical other than the pads.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 06:28 PM

Maybe just buy this set and make a couple bucks selling the extras !!

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum/showthread.php?102190-383-440-isky-rocker
Posted By: BSB67

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 10:36 PM

Originally Posted By Stanton
I wouldn't be afraid to put a Crane in if I couldn't find an Isky. They're virtually identical other than the pads.

Functionally they might be the same, but don't look that much alike.
Posted By: dogdays

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 11:13 PM

Isn't it true that the early Isky rockers had the strange lump over the valve pad and had the name isky cast into the rocker? Then later the Isky rockers were same as Crane.

R.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/29/15 11:35 PM

Quote:
Functionally they might be the same, but don't look that much alike.

If you're looking at cast Iskys and gold aluminum Cranes ... you're right. But if you compare cast Iskys to cast Cranes, they're virtually identical !! Top are Cranes.

Attached picture Crane.jpg
Attached picture isky.jpg

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 12:59 AM

Those don't look the same to me, and the Isky also had a wider body than the Cranes, or at least my set does. Honestly, other than being ductile iron, they don't seem alike at all. shruggy
Posted By: slantzilla

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 01:08 AM

Unless you have clear valve covers does t really matter f they look identical or not?

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 01:54 AM

Quote:
Honestly, other than being ductile iron, they don't seem alike at all.

Yes, I see what you mean, the bottom ones face the opposite direction and are a different color !!!
Posted By: fourgearsavoy

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 02:40 AM

I would contact RAS because I would think they could replace the hardened pad with very little trouble.
Be aware though it's expensive to get the whole 9 yards done with shafts,over $500 bucks with shipping. But now I have a set of "bullet-proof" rockers that will probably outlast me laugh2

Gus beer

Attached picture 004.JPG
Attached picture resize rockers.jpg
Posted By: R/T1968R/T

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 04:28 AM

I may have one extra, let me check.....Sorry only a crane

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 08:30 AM

There is a world of differnece between the early Isky and the later Cranes in those two picturs, check them both on the same head and camshaft at the retainers and then tell me which one had the most accurate and consistent ratio scope shruggy That is one of the reason that RAS kept so busy for so many years correcting the ratio on the cheaper ductile iron rocker arms like the Ersons and Cranes like those in that picture work

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 03:41 PM

The point is still: as a last resort he could use a Crane.

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 11/30/15 07:04 PM

iagree thumbs I sent RAS a bunch of different mixed brand ductile iron rocker last spring to have them bushed and accurized and ratio changed to 1.6, they where some Cranes, Ersons, Mopars and one Isky. I had to send them some more Cranes later to be able to finish making the one set, none of the Ersons would make the 1.6 ratio shruggyI now have two sets of RAS rebuilt and bushed rockers, one set of 1.6 and the other are 1.5 realcrazy shruggy

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 12/01/15 01:39 AM

Originally Posted By Stanton
Quote:
Honestly, other than being ductile iron, they don't seem alike at all.

Yes, I see what you mean, the bottom ones face the opposite direction and are a different color !!!

Really? Bit of an insult.

Instead, maybe provide a response that clearly articulates why they are “virtually identical” and teach me something, which should be easy, right?

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 12/01/15 03:45 AM

Hey, if you can't see a similarity then there's nothing I can do for you!

Re: Repairing Isky Rockers - 12/01/15 05:31 AM

Oh, now it is similar, not identical
© 2024 Moparts Forums