Moparts

B-Body Mini Tub ????

Posted By: Kiddart

B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 03:48 AM

Not that we need them, but sure would be nice to have. Is there any such cut templates for the trunk floor as a guide.

reason being is I watched an episode of kindigit design and they ordered a mini tub kit and it had templates, it was a kit for a chey.

just wondering??
Posted By: skicker

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 04:07 AM

No real need for a kit...I think they sell one cause chevy guys aren't as smart as us... up
Posted By: NV69B7RR

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 06:12 AM

http://store.uscartool.com/Mini-Tub-Kits_c_59.html

They have a mini tub kit, believe it has a template too.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 04:09 PM

I know the Chevy guys aren't that smart, they build Chevy's!!!

Wow that US car tool Kit is really nice, and much cheaper than I would have expected, kills two birds with one stone.

Spring relocation and mini tub.

real cool thanks
Posted By: Stanton

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 05:40 PM

They sell the mini tub kit separately. Some good photos of the install but they didn't show any detail around the inner flange and I'm wondering if they separate the old flange or just weld to it.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 07:04 PM

by the looks of the kit I would almost bet you need to separate the flange. or if you are a Chevy guy clean the flange and weld over the old. LOL

the kit appears to have holes drilled to replicate the spot welds on original flange.

I also like the Relocation kit, you cant screw that one up either, unless you are a Chevy guy!!! smile
Posted By: Mr.Yuck

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 07:30 PM

What year b-body? 68-up have huge rear wheel wells, no need to tub. Just move your springs in and roll. You can get an 11/5-12" slick w/o even moving the springs in. Probably 14" w/ the springs moved.
Posted By: mickm

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 07:36 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck
What year b-body? 68-up have huge rear wheel wells, no need to tub. Just move your springs in and roll. You can get an 11/5-12" slick w/o even moving the springs in. Probably 14" w/ the springs moved.

i wish that were true... frown

70 plymouths have a much smaller wheel well than the 68-9's. with only rolled fenders, herb gets a 315/50 under his gtx. might even be a 325, i don't remember. i have spend a good deal of time trying to get more than a 275/60 under mine. will work fine, if the car never moves from side to side...

anyway, that kit looks interesting!
Posted By: skicker

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 07:46 PM

I think my springs and inner wheel wells are in almost the same location left to right. work
I'm running 275-60-17's on 9.5" wide wheels. There is no more room for anything bigger. tsk
Mine would have to have a spring relocation and move the inner wheel wells to gain anything. twocents

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 07:58 PM

Must be a Dodge thing then... lol This car had 28.5x10.5s under it and had plenty of room on each side for more.
Posted By: booger

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 08:00 PM

Originally Posted By Mr.Yuck

My 69 had 13.5x31.5 slicks in it and they had to roll the lip and cut the front of the well flush to the inner well.

Some people de-hump the outer well too. That thing really crimps down toward the top and will limit you if you want the car to sit low.

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum...p-some-pictures

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 08:02 PM

Originally Posted By Kiddart
by the looks of the kit I would almost bet you need to separate the flange. or if you are a Chevy guy clean the flange and weld over the old. LOL

the kit appears to have holes drilled to replicate the spot welds on original flange.

I think if you split that flange you're going to need a lot more than those few holes that they punch in the filler. There's a ton of spot welds in the flange from the factory, almost one on top the other to where it's nearly a stitch weld.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/24/15 10:56 PM

Quote:
I also like the Relocation kit, you cant screw that one up either, unless you are a Chevy guy!!!

I have that kit ... don't be fooled into thinking its a simple install. The plates to bolt the front boxes on can only be used one you've notched the rails - which is the most important part. Bolting them in just holds them in place while you weld. Ideally I think it would be better to cut those plates off once the box is tacked in place, then weld the end of the box to the frame. Otherwise, moisture is going to get behind those plates and work its wonders. That's my plan anyway!
Posted By: maximus

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/25/15 12:31 AM

Easier on a "B" body than "A". I have done many after which you can't tell when done other than looking wider than stock. You cut down the middle move inner half over to the frame rail then weld filler strip between outer and inner section. Very clean looking if butt welded together.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/25/15 10:01 PM

its a 67 Belvedere 11. small wheel well.

I would not just bolt this kit in I would fully weld in, I just like the fact that its a easy setup before welding.

I am not worrided about cutting the inner wheelhouse then but welding in a patch, I just don't want the BS cutting on the floor then have 5 extra small pieces to cover the oops I cut wrong mistakes.
Posted By: crackedback

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/25/15 10:37 PM

Make a template from constructions paper. Put lines on the tub, floor and template for alignment. It's really easy.

I hate the squared off cuts with patches most of the site tutorials have. Looks bad IMO.

Got an old hood or roof panel? Perfect for the fill strips

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/25/15 11:00 PM

FWIW I was revisiting the US Car tool page, and if you zoom in on this photo you will see that they leave what's left of the old flange in place, so per earlier posts, they must be Chevy guys.

My car was done by a one-eyed fabricator with an axe back in the 70s, so I'm investigating the best way to improve things and am considering that kit but am not sure it will work, since the inner was originally cut different than US Car Tool recommends. May end up having to replace the inner too, to make it right again.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/26/15 02:01 AM

Quote:
I would not just bolt this kit in I would fully weld in

???? You have to fully weld it in ... its not a "bolt-in" kit. What I was saying is don't let the bolt flanges fool you, they serve virtually no function. Positioning the boxes after cutting the rails would be the absolute least of your worries.
Posted By: Chris2581

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/26/15 04:41 PM

FWIW..We put a 10.5x29.5 Firestone slick on our 70 Road Runner using a 10" wheel and trimmed the fender lip and leading edge of the wheelwell.Fit right in there.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/26/15 06:13 PM

FYI, since the US Car Tool photos/instruction sheet are for an A-body, I found a thread on FBBO where a guy installed the US Car Tool minitub kit in a B-body to see if it was the same

http://www.forbbodiesonly.com/moparforum...1#post910229206

Starts at post 71, turned out great. Looks like a good product.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/27/15 05:32 PM

I fit 275/60/15's and 10" slicks under my old 67 GTX. It is a TIGHT fit and you have to roll the wheel lip but they fit. On 66-67's to get more meat you would have to mini-tub.

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/27/15 07:31 PM

Originally Posted By Chris2X81
FWIW..We put a 10.5x29.5 Firestone slick on our 70 Road Runner using a 10" wheel and trimmed the fender lip and leading edge of the wheelwell.Fit right in there.

i think the 275/60 15's are around 11" x 28", and fit well. that's without any mods to the wheel well or fender lip.
Posted By: DLewis

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/28/15 02:37 AM

Just finished the fab work on my 67 B body. Easily fit 315/60/15 with close to 2" more room also using the leaf relocation kit. Some pictures are posted here: 67 Build Thread

I used the US Car Tool relocation kit, but didn't see a need for the mini tub kit. YMMV

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 11/30/15 07:37 PM

first tub cut out, man there is a tone of room hiding back there. by the way that's just surface rust I the trunk, really solid.
Looks like there will be 3 1/2 inch spacer welded back in

Attached picture 20151129_202742_1.jpg

Re: B-Body Mini Tub ???? - 12/01/15 07:38 PM

Originally Posted By Kiddart
first tub cut out, man there is a tone of room hiding back there. by the way that's just surface rust I the trunk, really solid.
Looks like there will be 3 1/2 inch spacer welded back in

keep the pictures coming, as detailed as you can. i am thinking of doing this and really want to see the process.
© 2024 Moparts Forums